September 22nd, 2009

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by Mr Davey, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

So just booked my visa appointment, Monday 24th August. So exciting yet so boring :D

2. Mallz

Mallz New Member

Hey, i'm not going over or anything but i'm i will be in Orlando in October for 3 weeks so hopefully some of you guys will be working when im at Epcot and we'll have a chat or something haha :)
    have fun when you go

3. arron87

arron87 New Member

Mines booked too. . . Tuesday August 18th. Is yours at 8am as well Dan?
    I dont like how the only time we have is 8am . . . I cant get a train that will get me there in time, nor can i afford to spend the night in London so im now getting a National Express Coach leaving at 10.40pm and getting there at 6.20am!! haha. . . such a hassle but it only costs a fiver so i suppose it works out alright...

When is everyone else booking theirs for??

4. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

That's a mint price, bit of a ballache though. Think my dads drivin us down the day before, there's cheap hotel deals in the paper an that..8am is the only time yeah most people there a few hours I heard. Should have it back to us by end of August. I think it got sorted quite early!

5. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Hmmmmm do I take the Xbox?!? Not that I'm guna be on it all the time like, but just as a bonus. I know people have fifa/pro evo tournaments, its just extra hassle getting it there. Could be worth it though...

6. arron87

arron87 New Member

I reckon im defo taking my ps3 with me. . dvd player as well so saves having to get one of those. be good to have your own console in your flat if other people arent around like.

and yeah im pretty pleased visa is sorted already. . i remember last time i got my form about 4 or 5 weeks before i went which just made it a bit more nervous hoping to get it back in time!

7. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Does your dvd player play U.S dvd's? How u planning to take your ps3 over, have it marked fragile or what?

8. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

I was going to take my PS3 but it's not worth the hassle. I still plan to buy a tv in a throw out but i'm really not going to have the time to play games as people are always wanting you to go out. I'm gonna buy the new PSP on October 1st though. Maybe buy a new PS3 Slim if someone wants to split the cost but not too bothered about it

9. arron87

arron87 New Member

naa only english dvds. . . but ive got a US slimline ps2 from last time which plays US dvds so i might take that as wel. . its tiny so doesnt take up any space. . . the ps3 i was probably just gonna put in middle of case protected by towels and stuff. . havnt really thought about it too much, it is a bit bulky though.
    know what you mean about not a lot of time to play them but im sure therll be plenty of lads nights on pro evo or fifa. . and at some point im sure ill find myself on my own with noone around so ill whack it on then. .
    definately buying a tv out there though. . they cost nothing once you split it between the apartment as long as everyones up for it.

10. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Hmm yeah gonna think about it but it would be a nice luxury to have around. I'd like to host a few fifa/evo nights too so I'll try and figure something out...if it was going in my case I'd definately have it marked fragile, they throw those cases around. Last thing I'd want is to be plugging it in at my apartment and it be broken.

11. jillianne

jillianne New Member

What's up guys?!

My name is Jill and I'm from Vancouver, British Columbia. I just got off the waitlist 2 weeks ago - F&B in the Canadian Pavillion for the 22nd of Sept! I'm super pumped to meet you all, just thought I should start by seein what's goin on here. I'm taking a few days and baring the 50 hour drive from here to there!

So do most people leave their tv's behind? Not a huge deal, just curious! :)

12. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Hey! With the tv's, I guess it depends where you are coming from. Us from the UK will leave them at home :)

13. Brad Ridler

Brad Ridler New Member

I would leave the tv at home, as your roommates will probably have one already or you can get one at a throw out.

That's crazy that your driving 50 hours, my drive from the Toronto area is going to be about 23 hours, so I am splitting it between two days.

How long do you plan on taking to get there?

14. jillianne

jillianne New Member

Oh I wouldn't think about bringing my own, I had a hunch people left theirs behind anyways!

I am leaving the 17th of Sept.. mainly because I don't wanna miss the Keith Urban concert on the 16th - ya huge nerd. ::) Soooo I'm just gonna have to rip roar it over there! A few of my friends are coming for the drive and the move, and we wanna stay the night in Chicago as well as spend a day in Nashville. Should be a nice loooonnnng drive! I'm pumped though.

So Brad you're doing the program again then hey? Crazy!

15. Brad Ridler

Brad Ridler New Member

Yeah, doing the program again! Had such a good time on the first one that I want to do it again while I figure out what my true calling in life is!

Brad

16. arron87

arron87 New Member

Thats pretty much my line of thinking Brad!

So the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment. . best in the UK since October anyway so im thinking about getting my dollars tomorrow. . . is anybody else getting theres around now?

17. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

I've been collecting slowly for a few months, still don't seem to have as much as I'd like! But yeah I was guna get some tomorrow, then some after I get paid at the end of this month, then maybe I'll have around $850. Wouldve liked a grand but so much other stuff to pay for.

18. Brad Ridler

Brad Ridler New Member

Take as much money as you can so you can at least have fun before you actually start making a decent amount of cash.
    You'll want to go out the the parks and be able to have lunches, buy a Dole Whip, go out to the bar etc. and not worry about your funds.
    There are lots of ways to save money or stretch your dollars. For example, I'm a theme park junkie so I got passes to Universal and the Busch parks and the cool thing is that you can pay for them over 12 months, meaning your not taking hundreds of dollars away once you get there. Plus once you have the passes, you can go anytime you like. Its a cheap way to enjoy all the parks in Florida, not just Disney ones.
    Also, walking over to Publix instead of taking a cab is helpful if you don't have a car. And if you can suck up the half day that it takes for a Walmart trip on the H bus, that is free. They also run shuttles to the Florida mall I believe once a month, also free. Don't waste money on cabs if you don't need to.
    If you can figure out the Lynx (Orlando Public Transit) and the I-Ride Trolley (runs up International Drive) you can save tons of money getting around. I used to walk over to the Premier Outlets, hop on the I-Ride and take it up to Universal Blvd, walk across the overpass and be at Universal in about an hour for like $2.50
    And my biggest piece of advice is about rental cars. Many people rent them for a day, but end up keeping them for a week, costing hundreds of dollars. If you need it for a day,cool, but take it back the next day. And get rental car insurance through your credit card if possible (it's an add on many cards have that costs very little), so you don't have to pay the $20 insurance fee, essentially doubling your rental cost. I know a girl who spent over $3000 US on renting cars. She could have bought one!!!
    Make friends with people who have cars. I don't mean use people with cars, but be friendly and they will help you out. Offer gas money and that's even better. Just don't expect people to drive you around wherever you want.
    Anyways, that's some of my advice. If anyone needs any more information, message me and we can chat!

Brad

19. arron87

arron87 New Member

Sweet, cheers Brad!!

I remember on my last program I discovered the I-RIDE trolley about 3 weeks before my program ended. . . probably one of my biggest disappointments using it so late!! I had a Universal annual pass and didnt use it anywhere near enough as I should have, thinking it was too awkward to get to, but it literally takes abour an hour on the trolley for 50c! Ill definately be using it this time. . and the Commons is a really good location for Publix. . its about a 10minute walk through the premium outlets so no need for cabs there if you dont mind walking with shopping.
    Being there before you definately learn things from your first program. . . I think thats pretty much why I want as much money as I can for the first few weeks. . Im expecting a heavy first trip to Walmart, plus my universal pass, nights out, beeeeerrrr ;D , and everything else! $850 is still more than enough though Dan youll be fine with that

Tomorrow im planning on getting around £650 worth of dollars. . Im not planning on taking any more but if the rate does jump up again I might be tempted to get a few extra

So Brad, I saw that you went in 05-06 . . any reason why its taken so long to get back or just thought now is the time before "life" begins haha.

20. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Yeah I should be ok I'm not getting any annual passes or anything, I'm more of a movie junkie what with working at a cinema and of course that don't cost much. Love my clothes too, and I tend to drink a lot haha. Be wanting some speakers if roomies don't already have. Struggling with money more here with all the saving, but I'd rather spend my money in Orlando than Blackpool, lol.