Shifts in Merch

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Dan, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know what kind of shifts you work on DCL in merchandise?

Also, is a 2nd language necessary for Guest Relations? I heard about a couple of brits who worked there but dont speak dual languages...

Dan

2. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

hi dan
    i think a 2nd language is highly 'desirable' for GR.  I have british friends from the IP who did front house/Guest Services (and only spoke english)  although they did have at least 2 years experience in another field e.g. Working on reception in hotel or similar.

If you lack in the languages department - do you have experience in other areas that will more than make up for it?  milk the experience you already have. 
    My advice is try and get the job you want before you go on the ship, otherwise it could be a long 6 month contract doing a job you didn't really want to do (and can't switch out of easily!) :-\

I can't help you on the merch shifts thing though mate - sorry!  ???

3. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Dan,

I worked in Merchandise on the Disney Wonder from 03 - 04 after finishing the International Program at Ecpot. The shifts in Merch aren't too bad as the shops can only be open when the ships is sailing for tax reasons, although I have heard since I left that the sometimes do get special permission to open when in port now. So we basically did around 70 hours a week but merch was definitely one of the easier jobs on the ship. We would sometimes have most of the day off when we were in Nassau and would always have half a day off in Castaway Cay to enjoy the beach! And when we were in Port Canaveral if we finished early enough we would usually always have time to get off and go to the mall and stuff. I can only speak about working on the Wonder which meant we were back in port twice a week as we only did the 3 and 4 night cruises. I know the shifts are different on the Magic.
    Not sure about the having to speak another language for Guest Services but I don't think it's required. My friend works on the Magic and she only speaks English! It's not a requirement as far as I know. But the do work hard and have to deal with all the complaining!!!! Merch is pretty good on the ship, I would definitely recommend it but it can get a bit boring, doing the same thing 7 days a week for 6 months. It was definitely people I worked with that made it. A bit like the International Program!

Hope this helps.

Laura.

4. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Laura, is it easy to get on DCL after finishing IP at Epcot? I am hoping to represent UK in merch in Epcot then it would be my dream to work on DCL!

Jess x

5. Goldytap

Goldytap New Member

yeah id be interested in doing that as well, but u have to be 21, so i wud be too young :( oh well, something else to aim for when i get older - i feel like a little kid saying 'when i grow up i wanna be...'!

Sarah :D

6. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Don't worry Sarah, you will b 21 before u know it and wondering where all the years have gone!

Jess x

7. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

I wouldn't exactly say it was easy! I think it just depends if they like your face! I went for an interview while I was still at Epcot with three other merch people and they all got it and I didn't!!!! But then I re-interviewed when I got home and they offered me the job on the spot! But then you have to wait until a space comes available and the merch teams onboard are quite small so that can take time. I interviewed in the September and didn't leave until the end of February!!!! But it was worth the wait! It is very hard work though compared to Epcot but there are still loads of parties and stuff so I would recommend it! Just be prepared to be very tired a lot of the time but you have to keep that Disney smile on 24/7!!!!
    If you're going to apply from the UK contact www.seefarassociates.co.uk. They are the people I used.

Hope this helps.

Laura.

8. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Cheers Laura for the advice, gonna see if I can manage to get job at epcot first.

Jess x

9. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Not sure who organises things for Epcot now. As far as I know it's www.yummyjobs.com now. I was there 2001-2002 so it's been a while! You'll love it. It's like one big party for a whole year! You'll meet so many great people. We still have "Disney Reunions" three years later! Going to one next month!Just make the most of it while you're there as the time will fly in!!! And the cruise line is great too!

Hope you things work out for you!

Laura.

10. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Yeah I have already sent yummy my cv so just waiting to hear back from them.

Sounds like its a blast

Jess x