Should i BUY a car?

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussion and Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Paco Aleman, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

You should always get insurance, not only to protect yourself if you cause an accident but also if someone else is at fault. Americans like to sue their butts off, so I would be careful. I knew a lot of people with cars that cost around $2000-2500, the cars were ok to get to and from work and to everything in 1-2 hours distance but you couldn't go on roadtrips or anything. I still recommend just renting, as long as you split the cost with someone it's really worth it and you don't have to be afraid that your car will break down in the middle of the road. Also if you buy a car insurance can be anything between $100-$200 a month and sometimes that doesn't even include full coverage. It depends on your age, the vehicle, where you live etc.! Just my thoughts...

Julia

2. kahluafan

kahluafan New Member

Yeah makes sense i suppose, $2000-5000 seems relatively cheap compared to the price of UK cars, but you can get a runaround here for about $1000-1500, i'd expect a relatively decent car for $5k,lol, the costs soon add up don't they, i know i shell out about $250 a month on insurance, tax and petrol here in the uk :S

3. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

my friend rented a convertible for a week for $200

4. kahluafan

kahluafan New Member

thats not too bad i guess, tax and insurance included?

5. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

yeh thats everything as far as i know

6. kahluafan

kahluafan New Member

Cool, ul have to PM me the link or the info about it, visiting some CM friends in March and wanna get a car sorted, i asume ur deal was through a CM offer?

7. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

i have no idea to be honest :-\

8. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Here in Germany it can be very cheap when you book through a travel agency. I only paid CAD 220 for 2 weeks with unlimited milage, airport fee, taxes and full insurance when I went to Canada a few years ago. It was a great deal! My friend that visited me in Florida last year paid aroun $300 for two weeks.

Julia

9. kahluafan

kahluafan New Member

Yeah i think i'm gonna check it out soon, i think it was about $400 for everything for a week, convertible too :)

10. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Convertibles are so much fun in Floirda! When I had my friends visiting they were upgraded to a Sebring for free and it was soooo nice!!!!

Julia

11. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

i got driven to the airport in a convertible wen i went home ;D

12. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

That's cool. I got driven in the shuttle bus that you have to pay for lol

13. patto

patto New Member

im aussie (victorian) n will have P plates n be 18 or 19 when i go over, whats the deal for me?? considering i doubt i can afford flying a car over there and its not one of the boat-cars lol

14. nstrats2212

nstrats2212 New Member

is it true you cant rent until 25 over there? what is the minimum age for renting?

15. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

i know this was asked like 3 months ago... but...

you can rent a car even if you are under 25, however most of the big companies such as Alamo and Dollar require you to be over 21.

There are some companies (which are advertised in the Disney discount book) which allow any age to hire a car, but it does cost quite a bit more because you need extra insurance.

16. leomgray

leomgray New Member

So would there be some companies that would let an 18/19 year old hire a car, id love to drive if i go on the program to see how easy it is to drive from a manual car.

17. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

Yer, I'm defo going to take a florida driving test just to say I have one!
    But if I rent anything, I'm not coping with these automatic beasts. if I'm going to be in a vehicle capable of going at 120mph, I'd rather be in control of it thank you very much!

But will I be able to hire - I'm 20 and from the uk - I may be wrong but I think where you are from might have some implication for some places?? Maybe having a fl license would help?

18. leomgray

leomgray New Member

yes but how would i get a florida licence?

19. ~Disney_Princess~

~Disney_Princess~ New Member

i've heard it's really easy actually. you just go to the dmv and take the test.

20. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

You have to take a driving test, which is really easy. The test is in a closed parking lot and takes about ten minutes. It cost something like $20. I think you have to take a theoretical test too...