So very very Cold .... makes me wish i was in Florida even more...:(:(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hockey_town_canada, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I am not sure if it counts as a city with the population of 7,500...then again I am not canadian, so maybe someone else can answer that. ???

I have been to Banff twice. One of my best friends lives in Calgary, so it's just a short drive away from her. I absolutely love Banff, it's so beautiful and peaceful. Especially when you live in the city, Banff is great to recover from all the stress. It's so cute and likeable :) I just read today that the average age of the population is 29...fun times :p

Julia

2. AshleyDawn

AshleyDawn New Member

Well we aren't the only ones with the crazy weather - I heard that there have been winds of over 90 miles per hour over in Europe! The radio just said Europe generically, so I'm not sure exactly where. And California is seeing a tonne of snow! Because of all those bad crops, all of our produce prices here are going to about triple. Ah well, who needs to eat fruits or vegetables? Aii yai yai.

3. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

Yeah, the storms were here in Germany. I got off early that I can make my way home safe. The trains didn't run and thousand of passenger were stuck at the train stations (the train net is huge here. You can get to every tiny village by train). That hasn't happened in decades.
    My mom was a bit scared. I just said: "I survived 3 hurricanes, this little storm won't harm me!" :p
    Today everything is fine.

Chrissi

4. elusivemoose

elusivemoose New Member

Yeah, we had storms too- 11 people killed and loads more injured :S I don't think we had the worst of it in Oxford, but I know I was scared to go outside!

Edit- make that at least 13 :/ Geeeeez...

5. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I couldn't believe it. I lived in Florida for 18 months and experienced both of the really bad hurricanes last year. Then I come home for 4 months and we have a crazy storm. When I lived in Orlando they had the coldest winter in 19 years. Somehow I think I have bad weather karma! lol

6. sandinshorts

sandinshorts New Member

It really depends where you are in Canada. There are so many different ecosystems and terrain in Canada. I went to Calgary for my interview. It was the first time I'd been there and it was a completely different and alien world to me. I saw lots of wildlife that was clearly commonplace there that I never even knew existed. We've got rainforest in BC. Rockies in BC/Alberta, Prarie in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, we've got the oldest bedrock on the planet (the Canadian shield) in Ontario and Quebec with strictly coniferous forests. Then we have decidous forests and glacial till and glacial lake deposits in southern ontario. And appalacians in the maritimes. Then we have the north where we have tundra and arctic ice. We have 4 of the worlds biggest lakes and a ridiculous share of the worlds fresh water in the form of hundreds of thousands of little lakes. We're the second largest country and are home to many different cultures and people. You could spend an entire lifetime travelling Canada and not get bored. We're definately not a dull little country. Sorry if that got a little out of hand, but there's just so much in Canada and I wanted to try and cover as much as I can.

7. AshleyDawn

AshleyDawn New Member

Ohmygod, when I lived in Ontario I always drove to work with Ontario Bedrocks' biggest fan. Seriously, everytime we made a trip to the Rideau Canal, he would launch into his deep and profound experience with the Canadian Sheild, teaching, history, the exiciting exciting-ness of....rock.

Now I know it actually has some interest to it, but his eagerness really killed it.

Just my story with slight relation to your Ontario bit, sandinshorts ;D

8. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

LMAO Thank you for that! ;D Yeah I know it's different throughout Canada! I have only been driving through B.C. and Alberta and not that it isn't a beautiful nature, but it does get a little dull when you drive for long hours. I've been out east, but haven't been driving there ( only riding a bus ;) ), I love Ontario!! It's definitely a great country with so many different places, I can't wait to move out there and explore more

9. rachet

rachet New Member

canada sounds amazing, i would love to go and see the wildlife (not in the freezing winters though, my wussy body wouldn't allow it!)

10. sandinshorts

sandinshorts New Member

I just checked the weather network and while it's -8 here in southern ontario, it's +5 in Alberta and Saskatchewan!!! That's not how this is supposed to work. I'm so jealous of your chinooks right now.

11. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

hehehe sounds good to me ;D

12. AshleyDawn

AshleyDawn New Member

For some reason we've jumped from record lows and shattering winds, to gentle spring breezes, chirpy little birds, and a nice -7 (-14 with windchill). Ahhh global warming! Remember to recycle, kids!

I, for one, cannot WAIT for Spring. I am so sick of all this snow. It's kind of annoying to wade through knee-deep snow drifts to take out the garbage! :-\

13. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Weather here has been crazy. No snow for December or January, it was actually really warm. No it gets very cold and we have lots of rain. For the next few days even snow is predicted. :( Not happy!

14. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

Hi Julia!

It's snowing here in Leipzig. I guess at your place as well?

15. hockey_town_canada

hockey_town_canada New Member

lol well its about time ya got snow... lol.... we've had it since october here lol.... -3 today by the way.... very nice outside....

cant wait i booked a flight for my spring break... down to San Diego.... my grandparents have a condo on the beach there.... so i dont plan to do anything but relax and get up and surf every morning :) :) :) ....

cant wait... need to get outta winnipeg bad lol...

16. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

:mad: What's that supposed to mean? lol we DO NOT want any snow here. Not the kind of snow we get anyways. It's just soooo wet and cold, not good! I am freezing my ass off, can't wait to go to Florida for a week next month :)

17. sandinshorts

sandinshorts New Member

AGH! How is it that Southern Ontario is colder than the Yukon? That makes no sense!!

18. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

LMAO, crazy world we live in ;)

19. I want to go to the beach and go surfing....take me with you?
    We're getting another snowstorm here, it just started. It's really windy. I dont know how cold it is...I'm not going outside. Work is cancelled today and it probably will be tomorrow too...but I'd rather go to work than have snow.
    I want to get outta here and go to Florida asap!

20. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I go to Florida in 3 weeks :) Just for a short vaca, but I can't wait!!!! Ahhhh miss the sun!