Swim Test

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by mushu, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mushu

mushu New Member

Please can someone tell me exactly what happens in the swim test?

I've heard that you have to jump in to the water... anyone got anymore details?

2. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

We have to do a swim test? LOL.

3. mushu

mushu New Member

This what I've read by just kind of reading all of the posts around the place but can't really get an idea of what it involves.

I'm not at all keen on the idea you see....

4. disneytastic

disneytastic New Member

hey:) i assume you mean for lifeguarding?

Its literally a jump (not dive) in the pool.

then 10 laps of the pool (your choice of stoke),also no time limit.

swimming to the bottom of the 8ft pool.

also a 2 minute keeping you arms up in the air while vigorously kicking legs and trying to keep up.

Its very easy, id never been a lifeguard before and was surprised how easy it was.

Hope that helps

:)

5. cowza

cowza New Member

You probably mean 'wet drill'. It's part of your safety training and every crew member has to do it.

Depending on the ship it usually involves getting in the sea water at Castaway Cay and practicing a few survival techniques. You'll do the swim in a line thing... get inside a life raft on the water... and practice flipping a life raft over (incase it were to inflate in the water the wrong side up). Nothing to worry yourself about. You'll be told exactly what to do and you'll be wearing a lifejacket. It's not an exam... just some essential training.

6. mushu

mushu New Member

Thanks for the info, yeah i think that's what I was trying to get at.

Basically (and I know this is stupid for someone considering cruise line!) me and the sea - basically any water deeper than say 4ft - do not like each other to such an extent that it has prevented me from applying for this exact reason.

So because i'm totally ignorant of all things to do with that kinda thing can I just ask, what's the 'swim in a line thing'? Sorry if I sound totally clueless!

7. cowza

cowza New Member

Haha no worries.

So swim in a line? Pretty much everyone is lying on their back in the water (with lifejackets) and you hook onto each other by holding each others legs. And then you practice moving as a "togetherness" haha.

The water where you typically do the test is not deep but is probably a little more than 4ft haha.

8. mushu

mushu New Member

Yeah, basically I'm scared of water (as in, me being in it!!) and drowning and swimming (I can't swim!!).

You have reassured me a lot actually so thanks a lot for that!! :D

Does it matter if you're scared lots? What would they say if you panicked a bit? Can they fail you and send you home??

Sorry for my rambles...anymore inside info would be great!!

9. cowza

cowza New Member

I think they expect you to be scared. The safety officers will make you feel at ease.

I was partnered with a french girl who was super nervous. We climbed on to the life raft and you have to grab the rope and lean back in order for it to flip over (and you need the weight of two people). She just jumped in the water and left me hanging like a ninny on the liferaft. Actually hilarious though.

You'll have fun with it.

I don't really think you can fail it. It's just one of many many safety classes you are required to take by marine law.

Every contract I used to pray and pray I would not get a 'drill duty' coz it is possible you can get assigned to one and then every single guest drill you have to be there. But you know what? When it actually happened it was the funnest thing ever. You'll be fine!

10. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

If it's anything like mine it will be waiting for your name on the safety board for 5 and a half months... Seeing your name on your last week... Jumping in the water while loads of 40 year old men are scared of the water... Flipping a liferaft... Putting on a lobster suit... And doing a test... I heard I got off lightly ha ha. :D

11. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

What's drill duty???

12. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

A drill duty is a role where you have to actually do something during guest and crew drills. You can be assigned anything from fire teams to assembly leaders, traffic controllers and life jacket crew. Most YA get given deputy leaders (you assist the assembly leader of a lifeboat) or life jacket team (handing out life jackets to those who cannot get to their rooms). Nothing too stressful.

I really didn't want a duty but I'm a deputy leader now and it's actually tonnes of fun. Our lifeboat team is great and we work well together, and I never get given an important duty in the youth spaces (YA respond as soon as they announce something is going on so I'm always a runner handing out bits of paper!)

If you don't have a duty you do what every other crew member does....go to your life raft. Lol