The Big Question...F&B or Merch?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by *minnie**mouse*, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Hi chrissi, i want to go to disney for work, not only for fun ;)
    why is that a problem to earn more money?
    I hope you can understand me?!

2. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

People should go to Disney for fun and the experience and not to earn money. If that's what u want than look for another job. But actually every year is an asshole at every pavillon which no one likes, maybe u fill that spot this or next year :p
    Do whatever u think is right but Disney is definitely not the right place to make money, cause you never know beforehand when u'll come into service.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member

i think you misunderstood me!!!!
    i go to MAKE the experience and lern new ppl, but if i want to make only party and drink to deaht, i can go to mallorca.
    And what´s the problem, if i get the chance to make more money, i´ll take it :p. You was in the Serv. right?! was it soo bad!? ;D

4. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

Yeah I was in service and it wasn't bad but I also saw all the arguments ppl had about getting into service and that wasn't a fun part. Not to mention the 3 classes at the Pavillons. Merch is on the bottom, then normal foodies come and on top are the servers. It always depends on the people if there are these classes...
    I just think it's sad that people worry already when they come into service even they are still in Germany :-\

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member

i know what you mean, but you had a hard work in the serv. and your dayshift was not 8h! Getting into serv. is not free ;)
    if i get into merch, i just do my work and i´m o.k with that, and not be jealous ::), that is sad.

6. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

mmm it surpirses me to know that some people never make it to a tipped postition in F&B

If you're not in a tipped role do you still get the very low wage of like $3 or so?

7. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

no, then u get the normal wage of about $7

8. Emi

Emi New Member

I had never really considered this a big issue when I was asked in my phone interview actually...I suppose there are benefits and downsides to both. So I just told Michele I'd be happy with either and if I make it then I guess I'll let fate decide. :)

9. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

Yeah Emi I think thats a really good idea! That way you don't have to decide yourself. And I guess whichever you end up with will be the right one, they've both got huge advantages.

Good luck with your application! :)

10. Belle*

Belle* New Member

does anyone know what the chances are to switching to a different position once you get down there?

11. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear New Member

It's not unheard of, but it's quite hard to do.

12. Belle*

Belle* New Member

so is it like pretty much luck, like if someone gets fired and that area needs more people?

13. Jorden

Jorden New Member

It usually would require a quite a few people getting fired for you to move, and even then it would take a bit of luck (easier to train new people who are arriving than re-train someone else and then train the new person less training).

I know someone who was planning on leaving switched and after a few weeks did leave but I dunno how she officially got her switch.

14. Kerry J

Kerry J Guest

is it not a better idea to just state your preference before you leave instead of trying to switch after you get there???
    If you think you would prefer merch then say so when your asked,and same for F&B - no point keeping quiet and then messing everyone around after you arrive!!!
    You get asked at your interview what position you would like to go into,bear in mind that not everyone gets their 1st choice but its still a better idea to speak up then rather than leaving it to chance!!

15. linsey

linsey New Member

you fill in a form at the face to face too where they ask you to rank in order what position you'd like. for UK we had three choices, F&B, Merch, HRC. so they could be ranked 1 2 3 and they'd take that into account.

plus they do ask you in the interview and they will ask why you want to be a certain place. i put f&b first even though i've worked in retail since i was in school and never done anything except sell hot dogs at a cinema. I simply said I wanted to try something new and get more experience. And I got my first choice.

SO just be prepared for that too. They want to know what you prefer and will ask why. I guess they can tell if someone does just say they want a chance to earn a lot of money!

16. Jay1988

Jay1988 New Member

Im doing F&b on the summer programme, it wasn't my first choice thou. Is it only the cultural reps that get the tips?or dus it depend wat u wrk as?

17. Emi

Emi New Member

If I make it through to the f2f I'll have to think long and hard about the whole HRC thing. I personally think I'd enjoy it more since its something I know quite a fair bit about, I just wished Disney owned the place so I was employed by them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'd love the experience as much but I think the little perks would be great too. It would be the little things I'd miss. Although the idea of being in a smaller group appeals to me more I think....ugh. Decisions decisions... And I've not even been asked to the f2f yet...

18. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Some CRs get tips but there are specific positions that are tipped and most are not.

19. CPB

CPB New Member

I did Merch in the UK Pavilion from Sept 2003 - July 2004. I loved every minute of it. My arrival group from the Uk was 23 people. 8 of us went to Merch. Merch is definitely a more close knit community. The money wasnt bad. You just have to learn to spend it in moderation. When it gets to the busy seasons you could be on a 6th day mandatory, and then when you work over 40 hours you get time and a half. I managed perfectly fine with my wages. I called in for ADO's and didn't worry about not getting paid for a day.

Granted some of my friends who worked in f&b made more money once they reached service. Some bought a car to get a round orlando easier and stuff like that. My friends were quite generous in paying for cabs and stuff. We all hung out at parties, so it wasn't like we were all separated from each other. I know people who got into the bar really fast, people who didn't get into service for a long time, and someone who didn't want to go into service and asked not to. F&B is can be overstaffed and sometimes they look for people to terminate over the stupidest thing. I know a few people who got termed for the msot ridiculous thing. It's your own preference. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just head out there with an open mind and enjoy the year no matter what position you are in.

As for HRC, I would think about that. I also went back to work in HRC on a J1 visa for 18 months - December 2004 - May 2006. I didn't live at the Commons but several people i worked with was on the International program in the store. HRC is completely different to Disney. You will get 6 days paid holiday for the year and thats it. It's really ahrd to get time off to travel. Normally we had 3 people work during the day. An opener 10.30 am -5.30pm, mid 12.30 - 8.30 and a closer 3 - 9.15pm. For extra hours we had an extra person to work til midnight.. It is very difficult to have time off and trust me if you get sick it is frowned upon if you call in, as they only have 3 people sceduled for a day, then those 2 have to work for the rest of the day or earlier if they can't get someone to come in. Not like Disney were they have so many people in for a day, taht sometimes it doesn't matter. Though when 6 people call in, breaks get behind and people who weren't closers might have to stay to close.

Also, you will pay more rent than those who work for Disney, and the only benefit you get is a cast ID which allows entry to parks and discounts for yourself. Don't want to put anyone of. I just know that the first IP who worked in HRC had been told she would get all the same benefits as Disney, as no-one really knew anything about HRC.

Claire

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member

How much earn a merchi in a week?
    You need enough money to go to trips (like NY) and shopping?
    or save a bit money :-\