The Big Question...F&B or Merch?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by *minnie**mouse*, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Jorden

Jorden New Member

on an average week (lets say 40 Hours) you can expect to make 280 before deductions. I got docked like 50 bucks a week for US taxes and 70 for rent last time so thats down to about 160 a week.

Trust me you won't be making a lot of money in merch to save up for trips and such. You'll have to be careful with your money.

2. Belle*

Belle* New Member

i got my 3rd choice, which i was pretty disapointed about
    but i guess i cant complain
    and im still gonna try to switch to f&b, i was hoping i have an edge since ive already worked for disney before (the summer program) and i have front of house f&b training

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member

ye 160 bucks a week is not bad

4. Jorden

Jorden New Member

You gotta remember that'd be an "average" week. I had some weeks where I was booked for only about 33-35 hours an others where I was up to 45-50.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member

i know :)

6. Jay1988

Jay1988 New Member

Will ppl on the college programe get taxed that much? i spoke 2 sum1 n they sed they wer only taxed $175 for wen they wer ther. n we can claim it all back anyways

7. Jorden

Jorden New Member

I dunno I think I might've been taxed about 10 bucks a week more than my roomates but I really don't know why, we were all Canadian so who knows? I was technically a CP (according to Disney's standards/hirachy)

8. maxitaxi

maxitaxi New Member

Just reading all the posts and I'm wondering, seeing as I would be going on the ICP and I'd only be there for 3 months, is there basically no chance of me getting into serving if I did F&B?

9. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Nope, and if there is it is VERY small (ie random LUCK of the draw)

10. maxitaxi

maxitaxi New Member

OK, well bearing in mind that us summer kids have no chance of making it to service, would people still recomend F&B over Merch?

11. Locklear

Locklear New Member

Wow, I just went through all the posts and people are on crack. Chrissi - I love you!!! But you already knew that! I think you're one of the few Foodies that left with that amazing attitude. Disney is not about the money. I was a Merchie so of course I loved my experience and would recommend either position really. I knew alot of Foodies that spent their 12 months on the popcorn cart in the blistering heat at the same wage I was making but with more stress and more heat stroke. And whoever said that in Merch you have less friends is crazy. I can say I was friends with everyone in the entire pavillion except a few Foodies who thought they were too good for Merchies...and those people had about 3 friends each. I would NOT say that when you're in Merch you don't have as many friends...what a ridiculous statement. I was pinching pennies more than once but I didn't ever miss out on something because I didn't have the money AND I didn't once ask for money from home. I went on cruises, went to Miami, travelled and the whole thing. I went home with little money but I went home with an amazing experience under my belt and SOO MANY amazing friends.
    Merch is fun, and yeah we did sit outside and socialize alot...I can't find one person who compained about that - if I wanted to slave drive, I would have applied for a construction job. We got time off whenever we wanted and picked up extra hours whenever we wanted. No one left work crying and no one fought over memorizing a menu. I loved alot of the Foodies and if I was going back and they only offered me a F&B position, I wouldn't think twice about taking it...I'd love to work in Foods, but I think people need to realize that both are great opportunities and both have their ups and downs. And considering the only down in Merch is not being rich...the choice is up to you.
    Cheers!

12. Locklear

Locklear New Member

Oh one more thing...hell would've froze over before I asked or expected anyone (Foodie or Merchie) to pay for my cab fare or drinks. I didn't get one penny from any Foods people when I was down there. I know when I was there, our goal was to make the Pavillion ONE group, not two divided ones. Apparently we didn't do a very good job because I can see some major dividing lines in these posts. Sad really.

13. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

I can honestly say I don't mind where I work. I've worked as a waitress and in a clothes shop before so I have experience of both, and I enjoyed both equally. I'd sweep the floor if it meant I was working in WDW!

14. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

if i didnt get the chance to go into service, i would choose merch over f&b. altho i loved my job, i also hated it at times having to clean minging friers and stuff.

Im looking forward to getting into service tho, both for the money, and because its a job i enjoy doing.

15. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

@Locklear: Thanks hun! :-*

16. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

I think i'd do food and bev so I can maybe save up a bit while i'm out there, (...yeah bet that won't last!!)

its nice to hear that both groups still mix. I've worked in a shop (now at B&Q baby!) and from my uni course i'm used to working silly and exhausting shifts. So food and bev would be a challenge for me since it sounds so busy and competetive and since I've had no serving experience....but that doesn't need to be a bad thing!

Bet I'll end up picking an option out of a hat.

its good to know both sound great in their own individual ways. Really both options sound really good. Just get me to Florida :D

17. CPB

CPB New Member

With the tax deduction, the amount that gets deducted from your wages wil depend what number you pick when you fill out your employment forms at orientation when you arrive. They ask you to pick 1 or 2. I don't remember which one is which but one of them deducts more money from your wages, so when the time comes to file your taxes you are more likely to get a higher refund. The other one deducts less money leaving you with a chance that you might actually owe taxes depending on what you earned and if you haven't paid enough. I think i chose the one to pay less and got a small refund, but i know some people who did the same and owed the IRS money.