The Living Situation: Patterson or Commons??

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by princess_shayna, Jul 24, 2009.

1. vikki88

vikki88 New Member

Would we find out which one we were going to before we left or do you find out when you get there. Do you pick a preference?
    x

2. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

I think (although don't quote me on this) that you find out when you get there. I believe you get to state a preference of how many people you share a flat with, but that's all.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

3. princess_shayna

princess_shayna New Member

Does anyone know if you can request roommates? Do they let you do that kind of thing??

4. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Not totally sure about the CRPs or ICPs, but I've seen a blog of an American guy who did the CP, and he got a flat with his mate by queueing together. Then again I've also read bits where one person has arrived and the next hasn't turned up in the flat until alot later. I know for the CRP they like to mix cultures, so it might be tricky. It's always worth a try though, right?

5. jackattack

jackattack New Member

Does anyone know if they put us with other people from the same country? During ICP I was in an apartment with 5 other Canadians so just wondering if thats what to expect this time around.

6. Brad Ridler

Brad Ridler New Member

They generally mix the people from different countries up, as that's part of the whole living, learning thing. Last time I had 2 Mexican roommates and a French one. It's great because you can share your favourite foods and make friends from other countries, so when you visit you can get the local perspective and know someone.

7. jackattack

jackattack New Member

I was kinda hoping that, it'll definitely make for a better experience altogether! I love foreign food too so that would be great!

8. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Yeah can't wait to see what nationality the guys are I get roomed with!

9. princess_shayna

10. alex_wallington

alex_wallington New Member

From my experience, no you dont get told where you will be living until you get to the airport!! No you cant request who you want to live with.... but dont worry, if you really dont get along with who you live with you can change. It might sound like a scary thing but living with a bunch of strangers is a great adventure. I loved my roommate and my housemates too... I still keep in touch with them!!

At the end of the day, wherever you live, its up to you to make the most of what you have!! I know I will (if i can!)

xx

11. ShanaBanana

ShanaBanana New Member

It's probably highly unlikely to get an apartment that's full of people all of the same nationality - more so because there are so many different leaving and arrival dates of different sizes. Particularly when you consider that people on the waiting lists for different countries trickle in throughout the year. So I think you look at it more as moving into empty beds vs. empty apartments!

I think it's always possible to request roomies, especially having known a bunch of people from ICP who did that. It's just not something that's ever guaranteed. Besides, throwing yourself into a totally new environment with totally new people is just a nice way to really get to know others and where they come from! And heck yes - new food! yum yum!

12. Canadian_Sara

Canadian_Sara New Member

On my last program I called them the day before because I had arranged for a friend to pick me up from the airport and they told me that I hadn't been assigned yet. I called when I got to the airport and they told me to just come to Vista and they would let me know there :mad: I ended up in Vista and it was awesome!

13. nicole.august12

nicole.august12 New Member

To be honest, I'll just be blessed to be in Florida, alive for Disney. I don't accord a abuse area I end up living, so continued as there's a nice basin there.

Common's may be added fun at the moment, but if you wish fun you can accomplish your own, whether you be in Commons or Patterson. It's all acceptable in my mind

14. Agreed. The grounds look beautiful...

15. princess_shayna

16. ShanaBanana

ShanaBanana New Member

Well, in Florida, with all that sunlight and lushness around - it's always beautiful! :)

17. princess_shayna

Florida = love ;D

18. Paoletto

Paoletto New Member

Hi guys dunno if you already wrote about it.. but i really didn't want to read all the 35 pages.. anyways, i was wondering what happens if someone gets placed at commons and wants to move to patterson.. is that allowed? what do you need to do in order to move?

19. MeganHitachiin

MeganHitachiin New Member

I heard it can can be done but like there is a fee or something

20. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

There is a fee, not sure what it is though. But there should be no problem as long as there is space available and I think they do need some kind of notice.