Traditions / Training

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by chanm002, Feb 21, 2010.

1. chanm002

chanm002 New Member

Hey! Do we need to bring smart clothes for Traditions in the first week? Would a pair of white linen trousers and a shirt do?

Thanks!

2. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

yep, dress clothes for traditions and training are important, make sure they fit the disney look and you'll be fine :) Clothes for training depends on your role-- We didnt have to dress up for entertainment training, but i think other roles did.

3. catfish278

catfish278 Member

it will say in your disney look book (which you'll get soon) about what you can wear for traditions. They are really strict so definately go for smarter rather than casual...

4. Sofi

Sofi Guest

whats traditions? and when do you think we'll get our welcome books?

sorry for all the questions i'm just excited :) x

5. catfish278

catfish278 Member

LOL! Traditions is the first couple of days of training where you go to "disney university" (yes, it actually exists!) and watch lots of cheesy videos about disney and learn about the company etc... I loved it!

And you'll get your welcome pack some time soon (I believe before the end of this month?) in the post but you get lots more booklets and stuff when you get there!

6. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Training - if you have a class such as F&B basics (so glad I don't need that again!), you have to be Disney look for that.
    We didn't have our park orientation until after that, and you have to be Disney look for that as well.
    Training in your location will be in costume.

I can't wait for Traditions! :)

I'm not sure about white linen trousers - they may look a bit informal. Maybe black linen, or grey cotton or something? I played it safe and went for what I was sure was OK - I wasn't too hot either (they don't make you wear a jacket, blouse and trousers was fine for me, but if I have the money nearer the time and can find something I like, may go for a skirt instead). :)
    xx

7. Paoletto

Paoletto New Member

What about man dress code for traditions.. will suit and tie be fine?

8. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

A suit is fine as long as you don't melt!!

Last year I got some black linen trousers from Next that looked really smart but weren't too hot, and a white shirt. I only had to wear smart clothes for 2 days - Traditions and On With The Show, the Hollywood Studios orientation. After that it was casual clothes all the way!!

I love Traditions, so fun :-D

9. Paoletto

Paoletto New Member

Well I guess March isn't that hot.. is it?

10. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Shouldn't be.
    Maybe wear a suit, shirt and tie - then you don't have to take the suit jacket if you don't want. I'm pretty certain every guy wore a tie to Once Upon A Time... Is Now (Magic Kingdom orientation), as well as Traditions - maybe ties are compulsary?
    I'm not really sure, I only know girly dress codes (but I know what I'd recommend).
    I'd rather be safe than sorry - if you're not dressed right they send you home and you have to come back another day.
    Make sure you shave guys - one guy in my session was given a razor and pointed towards the bathroom! :)

Suit is defintely OK though!
    xx

11. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

You'll get a look book before Traditions. Follow the book. It should come in your Welcome Pack.

12. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

One guy in mine nearly wasn't allowed in because his hairstyle wasn't suitable. Luckily he put some water on it and styled it a bit so he was allowed in. Be very very careful!!!

13. hannah89

hannah89 New Member

What kind of stuff do you do in F&B basics? xx

14. Sofi

Sofi Guest

yeh thats what i wanna know :) x

15. carly-anne

carly-anne Guest

I worked at a resort so it may have been different than the parks but basically we worked on computer programs learning food handling laws etc and then had to do a quiz after. We also had to do a quiz on alcohol because the resorts sell booze. I remember it being very very boring, but quite easy. I seem to remember it being mostly common sense stuff. I just hope none of you have to mutter the line "bacon or sausage?" for 8 hours a day like I did.

16. Nate_Himself

Nate_Himself New Member

i noticed a few of you guys mentioned hairstyles, can anyone tell me the rules on having a shaved head? like grade 0 or 1. cheers

17. Paoletto

Paoletto New Member

Actually I got no book.. I mean i received the disney package, but there were just a few guidelines about the look.. no books!

18. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

As far as I know, no shaved heads.

That's basically what I did Carly - although as we were mainly Magic Kingdom, I didn't have to answer questions about booze. Although some of us were resorts... maybe they tailor it to the trainee?
    I remember a horrible one being an hour long... it was common sense stuff, and you couldn't skip anything :(

I worked in the Columbia Harbour House - as I wasn't cash I didn't have to same thing lots - although I think I asked most people where they were from and their favourite ride and character... the worst bit was when I was greeting (saying hello to loads of people, smiling, saying "Welcome Ashore" (yes I had to say that!), thanking people leaving, moving strollers and directing idiots who had parked them in front of the door - it is a fire exit! where we had put them) - and I was forgotten about, and was there for 5 hours - at least my co-ordinator looked sorry! :)

Awesome fun though :) - you soon get into the swing of it!
    We didn't get our look books until we arrived last year (slightly pointless I felt...) - but all the info is on the Disney international programs website. :)
    xx

19. Sofi

Sofi Guest

20. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Check out www.disneyinternationalprograms.com for info on the disney look - it's under non-costumed females or something. If it isn't there, try the college program website.

I think skirts have to be about knee-length, I certainly took stuff with me (although I wore trousers).

The shoes, I don't think they'll be OK for work as they have to be non-slip (Walmart sell them for about $20), and I personally wouldn't wear them for Traditions - I tend to go with what I think would look smart in an office here, so I would wear heels (I struggle to flind flats to fit me as I have narrow heels).
    xx