Two random questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by missginius, Jan 30, 2011.

1. missginius

missginius Member

Hello everyone,
    I think I had three random questions, but I can only remember two at the moment, so here I go.
    My first questions concerns the Universal Studios. Loads of people seem to get the annual pass. Is it really worth it? Won't I just go three times or something and then be bored? I seem to be missing something here.

My second question concerns the Disney Learning Center. Is it like a little library for Cast members? People seem to checking out books and DVDs there.

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it!

xoxo

Gini

2. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

For your first question, I guess it depends on how much you love Universal, and how many times you think you'll go back. But most people will get the annual pass for the following reason:

It is US$99.99 for a 1-day pass to both Universal Parks (Universal Studios + Universal Island's of Adventure [Where HP World is]).
    It is US$349.99 for the Annual Premier pass to both Universal Parks (which includes a whole heap of food and merchandise discounts, etc...)

So if you plan on going to universal more than 3 times during your stay then it definitely ends up being way more worthwhile to get the annual pass (even if you only go 4 times).

As for your second question, I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that staff can hire Disney Books and DVD's at any time from somewhere, so that might be it.

I hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    Mitchell :)!

3. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

There's also another annual pass that's around $250 but it doesn't have as many benefits as the one Mitchell mentioned.

They offer heaps of discounts and once you buy one you won't have to worry about if you can afford a random trip to Universal with your friends :)

4. missginius

missginius Member

Ok thanks fpr the answers.
    I think I'll reallz check out loads of pictures from Universal and then decide on what I'm gonna do. But a whole year is a long time and I could imagine going more than 4 times, even if I'm not the rollercoaster type of person. I mean just for the Harry Potter world it might well be worth it right?
    I'm really happy that there is a place to borrow DVDs and books rom, since books fill a suitcase quickly and German DVDs don't work in the US.
    xoxo
    Gini

5. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

I was at Harry Potter World in September - and didn't want to leave. I only drank one butter beer (it is sweet) but would love to go back for another one. The ride at Hogwarts made me sick (take travel meds for those who are queezy) - but I would do it again. The waiting line is really interesting with moving portraits and Dumbledore etc. The little roller coaster is not worth waiting more than 5 min for. The dancing demonstration between the French and Russian witches was really good.

You can hack a DVD-Player to play German (Region 2) DVDs. The problem being the format: PAL to NTSC. Besides, original English is better - don't you think?

6. missginius

missginius Member

Unless my friends are really bad at English, I never watch German.
    The Harry Potter park seems interesting. Did you get to go to Honeydukes? That's something I am really looking forward to seeing.
    Also the Wand-pruchase experience looks great!
    Basically I'm pretty keen on the Harry Potter world but the rest may not be quite up my ally. Well, we'll see. I'll need to apply first anyway :D

7. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Honeydukes didn't do anything for me. The magic wand show is a don't miss - but mostly for nostalgia reasons. Just nice to have been there and done that. The shops are nice - so take plenty of money. You will probably want your own magic wand, a butter beer, a Hedwig and something to wear.

I can't remember the other attractions too well except for Barney which I got to see twice (oh joy!)

It's a shame Disney didn't do the Harry Potter Park - sure they could have done more with it and then I wouldn't have to go to Universal at all. It was the hottest day of our stay and my little guy got a heat shock.

8. TreacleMagic

TreacleMagic New Member

I probably shouldn't be saying this as a Disney fan but O love Universal studios and i'm not a roller coaster fan.I prefer the old park with Jaws, Earthquake (now Disaster), the Mummy ride, ET MIB. Great Fun. At Islands of adventure they have the Bluto;s Barges which get you soaked!!! More that the Khali river rapids.
    You could easily go more than 3 times in a year. I would also suggest everyone experience Halloween Horror nights. It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced!!! Saying no more.

xx

9. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I never got to do Harry Potter; it opened for soft openings two weeks after I left. Oh well, at least I'll get to experience it without the 5 hour queues just to get in!

In my personal opinion I think an annual pass is definitely worth it. Even it you only get the cheaper pass. On my first program I didn't get one and it used to get really annoying when people would go and I couldn't afford to pay seperately every time. So on my second program I got one, plus a Busch Gardens and Sea World one! Those two cost the same as a one day ticket anyway (and you got the rest of the year free) so going once paid for it, but it's really handy to have an annual pass just in case you all decide to go on a whim.

I'm a complete Disney Dork (I went on two trips on the CRP that I could get time off for, and we went on vacation to get away from Disney.....to Disneyland and on a Disney Cruise...complete Disney Dorks) but it's nice to get out of the bubble and experience the other parks.

Halloween Horror Nights is excellent. I couldn't recommend it more! If you get scared all you have to remember is that they can't touch you!

Oh what I'd give to be back there.

10. missginius

missginius Member

Thanks for your replies. What exactly is Busch Gardens? I've been trying to find out but I don't quite get it.

11. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Anheuser Busch - a brewery company. They have theme parks with shows as well.
    Busch Gardens Adventure Island is in Tampa. You can google it.

12. jslussier

jslussier New Member

They only thing that I dislike about universal studios passes is that they are available from january 1st and december 31st...My start date is june 7th so right in the middle of the year...I'll buy one (maybe 2) anyway!

13. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Hmm I never had that issue. I started in February 2009 and mine lasted until February 2010. Double check anyway.

14. abnorman

abnorman New Member

I think the website says that the benefits only count for the calendar year (Jan-Dec). Your pass should still be valid for a full year from when you start it, but the benefits you receive with it could change in January (ie: different blockout dates, etc).

15. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Yup, that's the way I interpret it as well. They have the right to change the benefits at the beginning of each CY. Probably giving you the option to "upgrade" for a few $$ more. ;) But that is just a guess.

16. WDWCRPAaron

WDWCRPAaron New Member

well after being there for a year i think you might get a little fed up of the same 4 parks, so for $99 for universal annuall hopper i think its totally worth it! :)

17. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Good luck with that then... The universal Annual Pass is closer to $250 now, and is likely to just keep going up over the years.

18. Einstien76

Einstien76 New Member

It's a shame Disney didn't do the Harry Potter Park - sure they could have done more with it and then I wouldn't have to go to Universal at all. It was the hottest day of our stay and my little guy got a heat shock.