U.K August 2009 Applicants

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by disney.freak, Feb 10, 2009.

1. disney.freak

disney.freak Guest

hi there, i missed the application for this year so will have to apply in august. i though i would start a thread for all uk applicants that have either not been accepted or that are first time appliers (like me :)
    so we can all get to know each other in case we meet in the magical world :D

so just intorduce yourself, say if its your first time or if you have applied before, and what your motivations for doing this programme?

Gary

2. omgholly

omgholly New Member

Hi Gary, I'm Holly. I applied this year but didnt put nearly enough work into my covering letter and got rejected outright.

So I'm working on that and preparing to apply again in August. I think I may have missed the cut off date this time around as well as I submitted my application after 15th Jan. So I fully intend to re-submit at 12:01am on 1st August lol.

What are you applying for? F+B or Merch? I'm going for F+B, and I'd prefer to work on the bar but I'll take whatever I can get :)

3. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Im John..I completly missed the cut off date, as I chose to apply for the graduate program again..Didn't even realise I could do the cult rep to be honest, coz she didn't even tell me about it when I asked what I could do..

Im guna apply for f&b too..By the sounds of it, I don't think anyone applys for merch! I really want to work behind the bar as well, but as with the merchandise, I think everyone will want to work behind the bar instead of the fish and chip shop! When do you have to submit the covering letter? I just applied on the yummy website, and there was no covering letter needed..Maybes thats coz i've already been before though...

4. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

I'm applying in Aug too! :D
    I don't really know if I would prefer merch or f&b... hmm ???
    What are the different QSf&b places that you could get put? Or how about FSf&b? I'm assuming there's only one or two merch places?

5. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

F&B I think that your either in the fish and chip shop, the bar or serving..And merch, there's a few shops you can be in..

I think basically if your in food and beverage, your on the left hand side of the UK pavillion and if you do Merch your on the right hand side..

I've heard from alot of people that f&b get alot more money, but its hard work...

My other message mean't to say that I didn't realise I could apply for the grad program! Had a big hassle with it getting out there, but hopefully will get sorted and I'll be able to go out there!

6. BeautifulBelle

Eurgh, wouldn't wanna smell of greasy british fish and chips all day to be honest haha!! Don't suppose you can choose though can you. Everyone would pick bar work if they could :(

7. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Doubt you can choose, its always worth asking though I guess..Coz im sure alot of people would probably like serving more than the bar as well..

Slightly gutted I have to apply again if I want to do the cult rep..I had a place on the July 14th one, but turned it down, as I wanted to do the grad program! Now wishing I hadn't!

8. omgholly

omgholly New Member

Ideally my list of preference would be:

1: Merch
    2: Bar
    3: Serving/Waitressing
    4: Fish & Chip Shop (I dont think I should be allowed near a deep fat fryer...)

I've heard that there are very few Merch jobs though so you're more likely to get a job if you apply for F&B as the split is something like 20/80. I'd happily do any of the jobs though. Waitressing is damn good exercise! The skinniest I've ever been was when I was working full time at pizza hut eating pizza every single day! (and I'm still not sick of it!)

What do you mean by QSf&b and FSf&b???

Why is August so far away?? :(

9. omgholly

omgholly New Member

The site doesnt specifically ask for a covering letter. Most people either emailed it in, attached it to their CV or pasted it into the "motivation" box. I'm pretty sure if you don't include one, you'll get rejected outright - I could be totally wrong though...

10. 626Stitch

626Stitch New Member

QSf&b is quick serve f&b such as fast food (the chip shop etc)

FSf&b is full service f&b which is the rose and crown restaurant

11. omgholly

omgholly New Member

Aaah :) I'm learning!! hehe

12. 626Stitch

626Stitch New Member

All this Disney lingo can get confusing!! :)

13. mushu

mushu New Member

Yep, as my good friend Michelle Park could tell you, a cover letter makes ALL the difference. As Holly said there's a few ways you can submit it, but if you don't do one, you stand a very large chance of outright rejection, because there are sooo many people applying.
    In Michelle's case, she applied without a cover letter, got rejected straight away, resent her application with a cover letter within a few days and then got through to a phone interview. She heads out to Fl in June, so it can be very important!

14. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Yeah, I think a covering letter is important, it shouldn't take long and is well worth doing!

15. omgholly

omgholly New Member

A covering letter should sell you as a person. Your CV lists your jobs and skills. In your covering letter you should say how you use those skills in your jobs and how that experience makes you suitable for this role. Any life experiences that are relevant, the fact that you have worked there before should obviously be included. State why you liked working for Disney so much and why you want to go back. Mention a bit about your culture and any personal acheivements. Any travelling or living with people from other cultures is good to talk about too for this role.

I may be totally wrong. But thats the jist I got from other people.

Basically - why do you want to work there? And why would you be right for the job?

Hope that helps? xx

16. BeautifulBelle

How old will everyone be when or if they get onto the CRP next year? Just wondering!

17. ill be 21 as of 4 hours!!!

18. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Ah rite, thats awesome..You can have a few drinks over there then! ;)

19. mpark90

mpark90 Member

im 18
    and i go out in June, ill turn 19 end of june though

20. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Ill be 22! Duno whether im getting too old for this! I was 19 when I went on my first program!