U.K August 2009 Applicants

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by disney.freak, Feb 10, 2009.

1. disney.freak

disney.freak Guest

hey all, sorry i havnt been able to get near a computer last night haha.
    but yeah im a newbie so never knew you had a choice of where you want to work.
    hmmm im not sure now, lol
    but probs will be f&b like the rest of you guys :D
    and if i get out (hopefully i will) i will be 22/23 while im there!
    :O why didnt i find out about this when i was younger! :(

2. omgholly

omgholly New Member

Why are you all making out like being 23 is old? You're as young as you feel :p (I turn 23 in 2 weeks)

If I get out there after Feb 2010 I will be 24. I do wish I'd gone when I was younger, partly because it seems like it used to be a lot easier to get in as it wasn't so well known but it wasn't an option for me until now.

I may take the opportunity between now and August to get some more f&b work experience under my belt. Probably bar work in the evenings or something, although bars aren't really doing so well right now... hmm. Oh well, we'll see :)

3. disney.freak

disney.freak Guest

well i wasnt making out it was to old to do it, im just a newb here and didnt know if ther was a cut off age or if it was open to all ages to be fair.
    ahhh why did i have to miss the january date, i want to go nowwwwww!
    lol
    o yeh, i forgot, i never actually introuduced myself like i aksed everyone to do (oops)
    Hi, im Gary, im 21 (22 in june) and im from Nottinghamshire(closer to sheffield), U.K
    this will be my first application process, so im looking forward to it, but also nervous!
    and the reason why i want to do this, is as from the age of 10 (my first disney world experience, i have had 4 others snce then :) i have always wanted to move to live in orlando, that wuld be a dream come true! but to live there and actually work in a Disney park? :O, i wudv died and gone to heaven!
    i love that place sooo much.
    i guess im just a big kid,like the rest of you guys on here
    i guess its not a bad thig though:D

4. omgholly

omgholly New Member

There is no age limit as far as I'm aware - but you have to be over 18 when your flight leaves.

As far as I know its better to be over 21 as we can legally drink out there and stuff - I hear there are a fair few parties and such ;) hehe

I think you have to stay in the Wellness center or something if you are under 21 too so don't get to live in the main housing area. My memory is fuzzy though. I think the general age range is 18-25 but correct me if I'm wrong :)

5. sophie123

sophie123 New Member

the welness area is astill within the main housing complex it jsut means the the apartment wil only include ppl under 21.

6. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

You're supposed to be grouped into either 'welness' (under 21) or non wellness appartements (21 and over), but these can often be in the same building, right next door to each other. If they're quite full or someone in the group turns 21 there may be a mix of ages within the same appartement, though if you're there for the whole year they'll probably be more proactive in designating appartements on age than for a short term ICP.

7. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

You can still goto the parties! Just drink when no one's looking! ;)

8. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

If you get caught with a drink tho, your on the next plane home..

I would have thought that its the most popular reason for people getting terminated..When I did my year program, people generally got terminated for alcohol, or attendance...

You'll see what its like when your there though..

Sometimes, if your guna be 21 a few weeks after you get there, and there short of apartments, they'll stick you in a wellness apartment, then when your 21, you can chose whether you want to move or not..

I know people who were 21 tho, and they chose to stay in a wellness for the year with there friends..

Coming on here gets me excited to go back! Dont no if im being gready tho, as I've already done a year working for disney on another program!

9. disney.freak

disney.freak Guest

haha no Johnboy, of course ya not, id do it every year if i could (i say that now, even though iv never done a programme before lol)
    nah i think deep down, its everyones dream job. even for the hard nuts, that are "all man", i bet they'd really love to do it :)

10. BeautifulBelle

Hmm... as much as I would love to agree with you, I honestly don't think that's true! Those 'all man' characters you spoke of, i'm sure it really WOULD be their living nightmare to be live in WDW for a whole year and pretend that they're really really enjoying it lol! ;)

11. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

On my programs it sometimes suprises me when you first meet some people..You sometimes cant believe they've applied..

Think deep down though, everyone loves a bit of disney!

12. omgholly

omgholly New Member

People who don't love Disney have the evil gene. Its scientific fact ;) lol

And yeah, as John said, they will send you home if you get caught. I don't think it's worth the risk personally after all the work it takes to get there.

John: its not greedy to want to go back. The fact that you want to go back makes me a lot less worried about it. People I've spoken to have been rather negative saying "oh you'll hate it, I bet its really hard work and you'll miss your family and want to come home after a week, don't bother"

I'm sure it IS hard work and of course I'll miss my family but I will have a new "family" out there who are all in the same position and the work will be fun as well as hard. It cant be so bad if people are desperate to get back out there :)

13. BeautifulBelle

I can't imagine that there's too many people who honestly and completely stay alcohol free for a whole year!

14. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Im not guna pretend people go over there and dont drink for the year, coz then i'd be lying..Although some do, or atleast the majority try there best to last the year! I just want to emphasize that its zero tolerance, so if you get caught, you will be going straight home..They do not give anyone second chances..

There are negatives like with any job..The main one being that there so strict, and there's alot of rules..But you learn to realise that they have to be like that..Because its the reputation that they have that makes so many guests go back to disney..

I like the fact that if you work hard for them and do your best, they'll always do there best to help you out if you have a problem..

Christmas was a hard time I suppose..But there was so many people in the same situation as you, it helped you to get through it..

I'd say out of all the people that go, atleast 50% want to go back..And the reasons the other people dont want to go back is they normally feel they've done the experience, so want to do something different...

15. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

Wow I can't believe this thread has already started, I still remember when the January one started!!! By the looks of it i'll bet YJ will again have over 1000's of applicants again, this program is just going to get harder and harder to get into.

Holly what was working at Pizza Hut like? I really need to get more work experience...

I think I didn't get through, cause I didn't sell my self as much on the CV as I should have done, I really need to work on it, for August so I get through!!

16. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I expect that the next set of interviews will have just as many applicants..

Michele did say though, that there's more available start dates for the September/October interviews..So I would of thought that would mean more places..

The interviews at the moment are for start dates September-December..And probably places for when people have dropped out from earlier start dates..Although Im pretty sure that the waiting list covers this..

Whereas the interviews in September/October are for start dates February-August...

17. omgholly

omgholly New Member

Emma - Pizza hut was great fun! I'd go back there in a second but the 2 closest to me have closed down - Pizza Hut aren't doing too well at the moment. I left to pursue a "real" career with a decent salary.

It's looking more and more likely that my current temp job will be finishing at the end of the month though so I seriously need to find something soon! There are a few fast food places and restaurants near me, (Mc Donalds, Burger King, Frankie and Bennys, Nandos, a cinema, etc) so I should be able to find something. Cinema would be pretty ideal as I'd save SO much money NOT paying to see films :)

What job are you doing at the moment?? xx

18. omgholly

omgholly New Member

I've been alcohol free since Christmas Eve. I may not do a full year as I'm only doing it because I want to save money and lose weight, but it's not that hard to stay off it :)

Just be super super careful if you do decide to drink ;)

19. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Yeah, thats the kind of experience they look for..As you would expect, its easier for them to train you if you already have experience in the job..

I did F&B last time when I was at disney..

20. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

Hey Guys :)

My names Mhairi, 21 and I'm from Edinburgh.

I'm going to be applying with you guys in August ;D

I did the ICP back in 2006 as a lifeguard and I've been wanting to go back ever since, wanted to go before that but working there for three months makes you want to work their even more.

I work at the conference centre here in Edinburgh and have a interview on Monday for a waitressing placement that'll hopefully give me some of the experience Disney are looking for.

I'll be checking back here now and again to see how things are going - watching what the January group is going through is a great chance to find out whats going to happen to us later on in the year :)