UK June Applicants 2010

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by slightlymazmad, Mar 2, 2010.

1. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

I used times new roman...they liked mine!!! But I used lots of bold/ italics to highlight specific things! x x

2. disney.freak

disney.freak Guest

Thanks David, yea I took that advice last time and didn't use TRN :p hehe

3. 03goodl

03goodl New Member

Oooh quick tip aparenlty (even though I did) you should never leave your CV in Time roman as emplyers hate it ariel is always good but an emplyer told me he jsut throughs away any CV in time roman before he looks at it tbh i don't think it's true but i guess ever little helps!! :D

4. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

Lol, yeah I wouldn't advise times new roman...it was the only font that didn't go over the page limit in a decent size!!!

Arial's always a good shout! x x

5. Kimthecoolone

Kimthecoolone New Member

Yo! I used Cambria for mine, it's one of the Word 2007 defaults. It is a mix between TNR and Arial, and I think it looks quite smart and traditional but not boring like TNR! :)

6. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

...my CV was boring...I was applying for grad jobs too and got told it looked too youthful by someone from Deloitte...and that it needed more bullet points...

I also have an aversion to arial because all my uni work has to be in it...wing-dings anyone? x x x

7. leeds disney fan

leeds disney fan New Member

know what you mean about ariel it gives me the creeps after all the hours for my uni work, i use century gothic, another thing to watch out for is our email I got told I should think about changing mine, tiggz87, as some people my be offended by it but to this day can not think why it could be offensive

8. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

There's a reason I got my googlemail account as v.l.bradly. A friend of mine used to have bouncinglemonsofftheceiling@hotmail on her cv... it just looks so unprofessional. Got nothing to do with offending people, got everything to do with professionalism.

Thing is though, much as all these tips are great... The number of applicants we're up against, our CVs need to actually be good CVs. These tips used to work to get a job over someone with more experience, but a worse looking CV. For us, the content of the CV needs to be just as great, the tricks just won't work.

9. doddi92

doddi92 New Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm still having real trouble writing my letter! Without soundg big headed, I'm good with words, but putting them into sentences that follow smoothly? Nuh-uh!

P.S. doddi92@aol.com an alright email?

10. red1702

red1702 New Member

Maya, add me on Facebook - Natalie-jayne Gilbert and I haven't started a blog yet but I think it's about time I did.
    It will be up and running by Monday!
    P.S Any help you need with covering letters etc let me know :)
    x

11. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

hey everyone
    yeah, i have questions... pick me pick me! :p
    how long do you think the cv and covering letter should be?

12. leeds disney fan

leeds disney fan New Member

a CV should be no more than 2 pages of a4 and my cover letter was about a page

13. BeautifulBelle

ok, i have written my first draft cover letter, it is exactly one page long. i have a couple more questions to polish it before re doing it etc...
    1 - how should i end it? many thanks for considering my application, yours faithfully?
    2 - should i keep it black font and professional, or can i highlight some parts?
    3 - what font size is everyone using? whenever i print off a size 12 font in verdana it always seems rather big, and size 11 seems just right. i just wanted to try and make it the same as others...

4 - off topic, is it an online application or are they to be sent by post? i cannot remember what the deal is as i havent been on here in a while! thanks in advance! :D

14. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Online application. So make sure it all looks good on your screen.

15. BeautifulBelle

brill thank you!

16. VickyPul

VickyPul New Member

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice!

I finished my cover letter and CV today, but knowing me I'll probs end up going back and re-writing the whole thing ;D It's kind of difficult knowing how to get the balance right- of course you want to sound professional but at the same time I think they're probably going to want you to show that you're fun and outgoing etc...

I have no ideas how good mine is, of course, but if anyone's struggling and wants some tips I'm more than willing to help if I can- my email's vicky_pullan@hotmail.com

Still trying to think which Disney character I'm most like though! It's not as easy as you'd think! xx

17. doddi92

doddi92 New Member

Same! Haha

18. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

Oh my goodness - it's June!! Not long to go now!! Can't wait to ride this rollercoaster!! :D

19. doddi92

doddi92 New Member

I know! I'm excited!
    Have you got Facebook or MSN? Stay in touch through this rollercoaster! I wanna get to know people applying whatever the outcome!

20. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I can't believe it's so near! Finally! I have a DCL interview on the 16th as well....it's all happening this month!