What are you going to do?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World College Program' started by slightlymazmad, Mar 6, 2006.

?

Which job are you going to do?

1. F&B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Merch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Operations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lifeguard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Custodial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. House Keeping

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Character Preforming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KC

KC New Member

You lot may be interested to know that my friend got in and is now a May 30th Merchie!

KC

2. disneyrobin

disneyrobin New Member

I'm going to be a character performer -- Pluto! I'm SO excited.

Leaving June 5th from Canada.

Robin

3. louise

louise New Member

From the 11th june i will be doing merchandise.

4. jayni

jayni New Member

hey hey... another lifeguard to be over here
    should be cool.. apparently we have to go in about 5/6 time a shift though!! ...unless that was ust someone gettin me going about it!

so excited!

jayne x

5. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

Dont think i'd mind too much on a really hot day ;D

Though saying that in the three times i've been to WDW - ok maybe two cause i cant remember that much from when i was five - i've never seen any lifegurad rescues.

Then again i wasnt everywhere at once, maybe it depends where you get stationed? I'm guessing the lifeguards that man the typhoon wave area (cant remember what its called at the moment) go in alot though...one place i dont know if i could handle

Mhairi

6. adjonline

adjonline New Member

It may well have been me you got 5/6 times a day from. If you're on a deep water rotation at a water park, that's feasible, though at the higher end of what's likely. Shallow water rotation at a water park, I reckon I averaged once or twice a day. If you're at a hotel, it's going to be much, much less.

Of course, many 'rescues' are relatively minor. Disney's lifeguard training company, Ellis & Associates, are much more 'interventionist' than the main UK training organisations. It can be as simple as a kid in armbands stuck in the middle of a slide exit pool. They're not in any real danger, but they need to be moved to the side of the pool. Parents aren't allowed to re-enter to get them as that poses a danger, so the lifeguard will need to go in.

And yes...in the summer you will very much value the opportunity to cool down :)

7. jayni

jayni New Member

i dont mind, what our trainings for afterall! ...is everyone already qualified or are peeps gonna be starting from scratch over there??
    does anyone know what kind of swim tests they do on you when you get there?? are they tough?? and how do they decide if your going to be at a park or a hotel.. or is it just a rotation?? ooo so many questions!

jayni

x

8. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Regardless of pre-existing qualifications, you'll be trained from stratch by Ellis & Associates. It's a lot easy if you have experience. If you happen to fail first time (and a fair number of people do - it's not totally within your control, as there is a team assessment on an 'all pass' or 'all fail' basis), you get a second attempt.

The swim tests are not particuarly tough for anyone with basic ability - there is no specific time limit on the 200 yard swim. There's also a recovery of a brick head first from deep water (depth not remembered :p) and a two-minutes legs only treading water.

As far as I know, water park or resort hotel is determined randomnly, primarily based on business needs (there is one exception to this if you are hired as a 'shallow water only' guard, but I'm pretty sure all ICPs are hired as 'deep water' guards, so this doesn't apply). You're assigned to either one or the other (on rare occasions, a hotel guard might get pulled to a water park to a day because of cast shortages, or a water park guard might get offered extra hours at a resort).

I've wrote a bit more at http://www.thefairground.com/smf/index.php?topic=2443.msg63693#msg63693 in the past, if you're interested.

A

9. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I'm Quick Service Food and Bev too! Although I hope I'll be working with other CMs and not alone at a cart or something.

10. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Some of the girls in my arrival group got Out Door Foods (ODF), that's the carts and stuff...and absolutey hated it...but then they complain a lot anyway.

I however got Main Street Bakery and Cone Shop as my QS F&B location :D and it was exacty what I wanted!

But just remember this....wherever you get put, you won't enjoy it if you keep thinking about the negative aspects...yes you may be alone on a cart, but you have all that one to one guest contact, and you are basically a manager of your own station.

You make your experience what you want it to be.

11. monkian

monkian New Member

wow...character perfomers...sooooo jealous.....thats sooo cool (lets here it fr all the oooooooooo's i'm managing to use)

i'm in merch..my first choice... i am the retail quen afterall

12. Niquila

Niquila New Member

omg I've only just noticed this message + it seems like I'm the only person doing custodial! I'll have quite a job keeping those parks clean by myself!

Loadsa love
    Nicola
    xxx

13. kristol

kristol New Member

I put merch first and F&B second and à still don't know which one it's going to be, but whatever I have to do IT'S GOING TO BE FUN.

14. LisaMouse

LisaMouse New Member

Hey Guys
    No your not the only person doing custodial. Im doing it too. And it was my first choice, and im so excited, lets just hope were not stuck cleaning up the horse poo! Hehe
    If anyone wants to add me to their msn u can. lisabinding86@hotmal.com.
    Look forward to seeing you all soon.
    Lisa xxx

15. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Custodial is not a bad job from what I hear. You get to be rather independant and have tons of guest interaction. I mentioned before that I was in Quick service food and beverage. I like it so far, but I regret putting it as my first choice because it is quite similar to what I was doing back home. I kinda wish I was doing something different and new, like character performer, attractions or merchandise. That being said, nothing I can do about it so I'll just make sure F&B is the best that it can be!

16. Roeljan

Roeljan New Member

Ey what i'm missing in this forum is recreation,

I put hospitality in first, recreation second and lifeguarding in third
    So they put me in recreation, but why am I the only one?

17. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

you're 'special'

18. Roeljan

Roeljan New Member

Hahaha thanks

but still, like to find more people doing recreation.

I've allready heard in here that it has something to do with operating the slides at water parks, or working at the recreational facilities at the resorts and managing the boat rental etc

19. monkian

monkian New Member

I'd love to work at one of the resorts that would be sooo cool.