What do you do with your time off?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by iHEARTflorida, Jun 3, 2009.

1. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

I have read that with DCL you work you a stop-non month, and the get a week off?

What do you do with this week off? Do have to stay on the cruise? Are you still are allowed to stay in your room? Do you still have rights to the mess hall? When the ship docks in Castaway Creek and Nassua etc... get you get off? Also do you get paid for your week off?

Or get you leave the ship? And actually go on holiday or home for the week? e.g. a week vay-kay in Florida etc...

2. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

With DCL you work straight for 3-7 months and then get anywhere from 4-10 weeks off. It all depends on the position and your contract. For example someone who works in youth activities works 4.5 months and then has 6 week vacation. Someone who works in dining may work 6-7 months with 10 weeks off between contracts. this is called vacation. During your vacation you do not stay on the ship - you have to leave (unless you are travelling as a guest of course). Depending on your contract - disney pays for your flight home and return back if you do another contract. You do not get paid for your vacation. You can work out flight details with dcl so if you want to travel after your contract or spend time in flordia you can.

When you are there you do work everyday and do not get any days off. But you are not working all the time so you can get off in the ports and enjoy them.

Any other questions just let me know!

3. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

So really you get no time off then? If your contract is for 4.5months, you work that and the then if you decide to re-new it, you have 6 weeks off un-paid before you start another 4.5months again?

Do you get asked to do another contract? Or do most people only do 1 contract?

4. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

No Days off (only if you are sick - which requires a trip to the doctor on board). Schedules really vary depending on jobs. You get time off in the day - we work 70 hours a week. You work your scheduled contract and then get your vacation. Basically think of it as saving all your weekends off for a couple months.

If you decide you want to come back and are offered another contract then you come back after your vacation. If you decide not to come back - then you can do whatever you like when you get home.

Most people come back for more then one contract. There are some who don't by their choice, and some who aren't offered another one. You will pretty much be offered another contract as long as you have a decent work ethic. I'm currently on my vacation - will be going back next week, it will be my 4th contract. Have had 6 weeks off - spent one week at WDW.

5. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

Cool...you must like it there then? Do you not find the hrs hard work?

How did you get an interview with them and accepted, as I heard their really strict about 3 yrs experience etc...?

6. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

I have a love hate relationship with it. I personally love working for the Disney Company. I find it rewarding and fun. Now it is intense but after a couple contracts I have learned how to relax. My first contract - working 70 hrs/week was insanely tough. I would be so tired both physically and emotionally. Now I am used to it. Guests are amazed that we work that much because we are busy most of the time. But again, you get used to it and I really enjoy my job. It always takes a couple weeks to get back into it after vacation though. I am hoping to last until next summer (as the magic goes to europe) and then am hoping to do the CRP.

I applied through an agency that was on the DCL website (dcljobs.com - check it out if you haven't, it's great). An agency is neccessary if you aren't american. They are somewhat strict about the 2 year experience thing. I've met people who have less then two years experience, and people who have lied about it in the interview. It makes you more competitive though- especially when they have a lot of applicants.

7. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

What made you decide to go back after your 1st contract then? Do you find you save a lot of money or not?

I wanted the do it the other way round from you...the CRP first then DCL. I'm only 18 so I still need to wait until I turn 21 to apply :(

How do you find the living quarters? Cramped? What about keep your belongings safe? (laptop, camera etc...), do you have lockers or a safe in your room? Or do you not just take them?

Sorry about all the questions

8. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

I went back because I started dating someone on the ship... haha.. and I knew I was going back for a shorter contract - I took some time off after my second contract and went back with a clearer mindset. I really loved my last contract. I did save a lot of money and that is why I did DCL now (as I have some student loans to pay back). You do spend some money but not having to pay for rent, food, medical is great.

Living quarters are somewhat cramped. They are quite small but you are pretty much working or out with people so the only time you are in the rooms is when you are sleeping/showering. There is a safe in your room and all our cupboards/drawers have locks. Things are pretty safe. Depending on your position - you may have different accommadations - most rooms are two person. Your roomie is usually in your department, or a similar one.

What position are you interested in? Where are you from?

9. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

I'm from England...I think the agency we go with is the Excellent Agency or something...

TBH I don't mine what position I do, whether it's waiteressing, kitchen staff, merch etc...I would actually like to work on Castaway Bay!

Are they are positions, that the ships are more in need of than others, that I would have a better chance of getting into? What positions are most wanted?

10. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

Not quite sure on the agency but you can find it on the dcl job website.
    I love Castaway cay - most of the ship actually goes to work there when we dock there. There are about 50 people that live on the island - most are matience or rec staff (lifeguards).

As for positions, they always have openings for all entry level positions. So whatever job you are most qualified for, and you want to do the most - that is the position you should apply for. With that being said, there is a difference of when you will actually get on the ship depending on the needs at that time. I would say make sure to apply in advance so you can get onto the ship when you want. (I F2F interviewed in june and told them I couldn't start till mid september... and that was the date I got - some of the others I interviewed with got on at the end of july). once you interview and are accepted they will give you the first date they can, which could be 2 weeks or 6 months.

I have heard that currently they aren't really looking for some positions as they have a long line of people waiting to start. But again that can change all the time. Plus we have the new ship coming out soon so they are starting to prep for that.

11. D.Eduts

D.Eduts New Member

What do you do with your time off

If theyre going to ban their use by guests with limited mobility, they should also ban their use by park employees.

Perhaps some sort of compromise could be reached, like disallowing them unless accompanied by a doctors note.