What is supplied to us in the apartments

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by zero1, Jan 2, 2005.

1. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Ok just to let you know you can't just buy sim cards in america, at least they aren't very easy to come across. Bess thing to do is keep your uk one or get a tmobile pay as you go as they work over there, as do other networks. Means you have to get your folks to top it up but it does mean that you have coverage

Also phones in the rooms allow local calls and 0800 calls and so you can buy a phone card and use that in them to make international calls

2. Marie

Marie Guest

If u use a uk phone it prob depends what network ur on. For vodafone in 2003 it was 1 pound a text message in the US and 1.99 a min regardlesss of whether u call someone or they call u.

Think im gonna buy a phone out there!

xxx

3. Matt Gilbert

Matt Gilbert New Member

I brought my phone while on vacation. Buy from www.virginmobileusa.com Its pay as you go, no contacts or anything! All they ask is that you at least put $20 on it every 90 days! I paid $99 for mine. Cool little things. I got the MTV Slider V5! ;D

4. SaraC

SaraC New Member

aww wow matt that sounds good, i may just get that!

marie - on virgin phones from here, its 35p to send a txt, and nothin to receive. on calls its somethin like 50p per min added to the national rate even if u have a phone call to both make and receive calls, i mostly txt so may get one, but am takin mine with me as well. know virgin usa txts are 35 cents for international, have been lookin in2 it ;)

xxx

5. Matt Gilbert

Matt Gilbert New Member

Cost me 10 cents to send a txt internationally on virgin usa! ;D

6. SaraC

SaraC New Member

really matt? said on their website it was 35 cents although i'm imagining it, wow i think i'll b buying one when i arrive. bet you're well excited now, i would be, well i am n i have 3 or so more months than u 2 wait!

xxx

7. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Think Im gonna get a mobile while out there - as I was saying to you guys on MSN Id be lost without one after having one for so long now!!!

Esp if its that cheap to text the UK!!

8. SaraC

SaraC New Member

yeah calls im not too bothered about, cept for callin home obviously, but to friends all i do is txt anyway and at that price well id b silly not to get one! but am takin the laptop too, just so i can keep in touch as much as i possibly can!

xxx

9. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

I so wish i had a laptop - have been advised to buy out there though as its loads cheaper!!! So will prob wait to buy one!!

10. SaraC

SaraC New Member

yeah i would've waited if i hadnt had to do so much uni work etc before i went, so is more convenient, but mines top notch anyway dvd re-writer, wireless connection, widescreen love it!

my parents r gona try record som uk programmes onto dvds and send them me over the internet or through the post, that'll b good :D

xxx

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

how much are laptops over there?? i would like one but cant help but think it'll never see the light of day except to check and send emails!

xx

12. SaraC

SaraC New Member

lol linz, they cheaper than over here, marie probs best as she got her apple i-book last year so she knows more on price wise. but yeah i need to take mine, i wont b on it that much though *i hope* just for quick emails home n odd picture upload as takin digi camera ;)

xxx

13. Marie

Marie Guest

Wow Virgin rates are incredible Sara! I need a new phone tho cos mine broke last summer - was gonna get a new one but now cos of disney i figured id wait... (using an old one at min!)

Yeah i got my laptop out there Lindsey i saved about 300 pounds i think in the end... it cost with tax about $1080... Mines good cos the power adaptors international so i just bought apple's adaptors - and when i got back i pulled the american plug out and slotted the uk one in if that makes sense - so the only diff between my laptop and a british one is theres no pound symbol! it will take me 2 secs in june to make it american again. I think Dell and some of the other companies are a lot cheaper than apple tho...
    Mine was a b day prezzie so i wasnt paying!

Sara thats so cool ur family r sending u dvds! Thatll be fantastic a piece of home! and u dont have to miss ur fave programs...

xxx

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

wow what a bday present! i'll see how rich im feeling when i get there and what access is like over there. they say its crap but it might just be a case of finding the right time of day!

xx

15. SaraC

SaraC New Member

yeah too true linz

yeah they r amazin, check out the virgin site, its good source of info!! im defo gona get one when i arrive!

xxx

16. Marie

Marie Guest

Yeah it was some b day pressie. I think my dad thought itd be nice cos i was the only person on campus in my first semester without a computer. it didnt bother me cos there were 24 hr pods, - but with it being permanently snowy - i think my dad thought itd be more covenient for uni work. tho i gotta say i used it more to chat on aim! This yr i wont get much for my b day as i had money early two months ago for my holiday... its now long gone! hehe!

Sara - r u getting ur phone in america then or over here? im gonna get mine over there...

xxx

17. SaraC

SaraC New Member

i'm gona get one over there, im gona take my virgin uk one with me until i get my new one, cos every1 can still reach me then. my cousin whos in florida has virgin usa as well said they r good, so on 2 recommendations im goin to buy ;)

xxx

18. Marie

Marie Guest

I'll prob get virgin usa too if its good in florida :)

19. Carol

Carol New Member

THANKS MATT!! Will definatly get one!! Did you sign up once you got accross there or did you get it sent to UK and take it with you?!

Carolxx :D

20. SaraC

SaraC New Member

im not matt *obv* lol, but ill answer, he got it while he was over there, although i think he'll be gettin a new one when he gets there in march as i think he broke it lol. says they r very fragile!

xxx