Whatever your results- just keep swimming!!!

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by gemmalou, Apr 1, 2006.

1. gemmalou

gemmalou New Member

Hey guys, following my post in another thread i got thinking about Baz Luhrman's song sunscreen- whether when it was released you thought it was cheesy crap or not its one of my top songs :D It reminds me of school when i had a pretty hard time and i used to listen to it to make myself feel better, and even now when im having a bad day it'll cheer me up. I dont have my results yet, but good or bad it isnt the end people!! Try and remember that.

Anyway, i talk to much!! basically the guy makes some good points.. So here are the lyrics in full...

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of '97,

Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis or reliable then my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice....now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, nevermind, you won't understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded, but trust me in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.

You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults. (if you succeed in doing this, tell me how).

Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of Calcium. Be kind to your knees -- you'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body: use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have no where to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions (even if you don't follow them).

Do not read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents; you never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings: they're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but what a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old; and when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you are 40, it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

;D KEEP SMILING PEOPLE.... ;D

Big Hugs
    Gem
    x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x

PS if anyone can find a way of putting the actual song on here for peeps to listen to thatd be great!!

2. PrincessNat

PrincessNat New Member

Hey Gem

That's a really cool song and most of the things are so true!
    Keep positive everyone. If we don't get through, then maybe it wasnt meant to be............. this time! ;)

((((Big hugs!))))

Nat xxx :-*

3. doowop

doowop New Member

Just to second that i think everyone is fantastic and i love everyone i met I love mummy because she was soo easy to talk to, Jilly coz shes just a doll an i love her, Nat coz shes my bestest lil buddy, James my little matey i think ur top class geezer, Chris ur funny, Gem ur really sweet, Colin ur like a disneyholic and its great, andrew u know evertyhing and thats also awesome, lizzy i love u ur just great, meg i think ur sense of humour is awesome, ian.. ur a dude!! Jo u were really nice in the hotel i thought u were great!!

So if some of us dont get in just thought id say thatin case i never met anyone again.

U GUYS RULE!

here's to another week of waiting... this is the week guys!!

Love ya xxx

4. doowop

doowop New Member

I forgot about Beth!! Ur a sweetie and i love ya u kept me level headed the day of my interview!! i love ya for that!! x

5. MrMet_GB

MrMet_GB New Member

Nice words Mike.....

It's gonna be emotional round these parts the next few days that's for sure.

Let's just hope there's more :D than :'(

6. doowop

doowop New Member

defo ive become quite attached to evryone!! this is the week it must be!! good luck for the week guys

7. gemmalou

gemmalou New Member

;D yep, its officially tomorrow in 20 minutes- bring on the phone calls!!!! ;D

Fingers Crossed!

Hugs
    Gem
    x0x

8. Colin

Colin Member

I having everything X'd we're gonna hear this week, and double X'd its going to be good news for us!

I get on great with everyone I met, I love ya all! We've already lost 2 along the way, thats bad enough, I feel so bad for those guys, please don't let us lose anymore :(

This weeks gotta be the week guys, I don't think I can handle the ups and downs for much longer! It doesnt help its topped with my final year project at University thats now due in 3 weeks!

Colin

9. monkian

monkian New Member

good luck everyone!!!

10. Ona

Ona Member

Hmmm... ;) Lol! ;D

Best of luck guys. Pixie dust all around. :)

Ona x

11. KC

KC New Member

Big wished-upon-a-star helpings of good luck everyone!

I hope I'll see you all this summer!

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood Luck (with a capital L!)

KC

12. snow.white87

snow.white87 New Member

This might have absolutly nothing to do with Disney...but I needed to read this thread anyway...

I WAS DUMPED TONIGHT...woohoo

13. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Oh that sucks! I know that feeling all to well (espeically if you didn't see it comin'). I'm hoping you're feeling as well as your posts tonight make you look like you're feeling!

14. snow.white87

snow.white87 New Member

I didnt see it coming. It was a long distance relationship (Toronto to Vancouver) and I had just booked my next plane tickets out there when he dropped the bomb tonight. I feel pretty crappy but things are looking up. I trading in my tickets to see my brother instead and I really miss him, havent seen him in months and now...

...I get to tap that ass of Indiana Jones in WDW, if you know that I mean! :-* ;)

15. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Thats good things are looking up, sounds like you're not letting it get you down which is the most important thing!

And yeah I think I know what you mean about Indy, I'm just wondering if thats a fact or your plan lol.

16. snow.white87

snow.white87 New Member

Right now, it's just a plan...and very elaborate carefully detailed plan...

17. Jorden

Jorden New Member

lol I think I should start working on a similar plan... maybe one of the Disney princesses or something lol.

18. doowop

doowop New Member

Aww thats not good hes a damn fool!! His loss eh hunny!?!

19. snow.white87

snow.white87 New Member

That's what I keep telling myself.
    I just stumbled into a file full of pics of us together, I feel rotten.

Time for me to go to bed, I'll be back to post tomorrow.

20. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise New Member

Ahhh I'm really sorry Jei...it sucks when a good relationship breaks up.

Thanks for all your sweetness guys I seriously hope you hear this week...

I really miss you all, but my mega long converations with you guys helps a lot :D

xKx