When are you getting your VISA?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by StevenC, Feb 25, 2010.

1. StevenC

StevenC New Member

Thought I might aswell create this so people can discuss when they are getting their VISA.

I haven't decided yet but depending on when other people are going it might be nice to meet people there so I could get to know a few faces before I go.

=)

2. catfish278

catfish278 Member

I am going to try and get an appointment during my easter holidays... I have far too many deadlines after easter to be trying to fit in a day trip to london! But... you get what you're given with the american embassy :(

3. Sofi

Sofi Guest

can't believe u haveto pay so much to call them!!

4. jameshamuk

jameshamuk New Member

I have a local number so you don't get ripped through the arse when calling them =)

0207 499 9000

5. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Last time I went in Easter... but I'm away the last 2 weeks, so reckon it will have to be after my exams... or during... :S
    Once I get my exam timetable and my pack I'll book something - hopefully earlier and with some people, but if not, then so be it!

I need to get cheap travel to London though - none of this expensive stuff!
    Although I prefer East Coast trains, if I can get down from uni cheaper on Virgin I will - no car park fees, and won't have to pay to store my stuff - they allow no electrical things, not even remote locking keys for cars - a problem as I only have them! I could have done without my phone and iPod for the day... but I needed car keys! £8 to leave at St Pancras... ouch! (Especially as I came into Kings Cross, which didn't have left luggage?!)
    xx

6. catfish278

catfish278 Member

I remember leaving stuff with the (scary) security people at the entrance to the embassy?!

7. RSH01

RSH01 New Member

So what esactly happens on the day? Is it an easy process or no? It all sounds really scary and tough?

8. mac shell

mac shell New Member

Yea Im going to get mines during easter too i think! Probs just going to fly over to Belfast Went to London before to get a visa cost a fortune!! so 30 bucks flights will do me :D:D xxx

9. captain_kylie

captain_kylie New Member

Basically you get into a queue outside, someone checks you have your passport etc and that you have no electronics on you (there is a pharmacy on the same road that will take your belongings safely for about £5) You then go through security, x-ray etc, you walk round the building depending on how much queue there is then you might queue, then you go to a desk and get given a number.

Now the fun begins!!!

You basically just sit in a very large waiting room, argos feeling room with your number! There is a little shop with drinks, crisps etc.

The numbers aren't called out in order as different people are called to different things. You'll hear your number get called, they'll have a look over your forms, stamp them, sign them, take your finger prints then ask you to take a seat. You wait another hour or two for your number to be called again, then it is, they'll give you a mini interview just where they ask where and why you are going, might ask about your course at uni etc. They tell you if your visa is approved or not and then you just have to take your information to one final desk where you pay your courier fee, abou £14.10 ish in CASH. And then you leave happy as larry! :)
    Nothing to much to worry about just fairly boring! Take a book!!!! and go with people! Can be around a 4 hour average wait, some people about 7!!!! xxxxx

10. Sofi

Sofi Guest

7 hours?? omg, can people sit in there with u? my ipod better not die! haha and this belongings thing? are we not allowed to take anything is that it?

and if i got there at about 12pm would i get out before around 10.30pm? lol cos i'm just gunna go for the day 1st and last coach x

11. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

You wouldn't be there that late Soph - they want to go home too!
    No iPods allowed - they are electronic and they think you might use it to blow up the building.

I was only there about 4 hours. (11-3pm)

Kylie - when I went the pharmacy was closed for refurbishment (stupid thing) - or I found the wrong one... I left my stuff at St Pancras though :)

And the time you arrive depends on the appointment time they give you - I was only offered 11.30am appointments, so had to get a really early train :(
    xx

12. Sofi

Sofi Guest

no ipods :eek:

13. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Yeah no electronic equipment at all. They even make you empty your pockets... I accidently left a pen torch in one of mine which they had to confiscate.
    But on the up side, I was only there for about 3 hours too.

14. yay-disney

yay-disney New Member

wow just going through our to do list for that. There is a lot that we need to do. Sigh. So do we take our own pictures???

15. catfish278

catfish278 Member

I guess now it is all digital you can take your own pic but it needs to conform to the standard they write - it's different to a passport photo, different size.

In 2008 you had to get a physical one done and send it in so I had them taken, cost more than passport ones because of the size difference!! Cost about a tenner! Glad they have made it online this year!

16. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

It's online? Whaaaaa?
    Last year we had to get them taken and bring them with us - discovered AFTER I went they accepted normal sized passport photos for people (and the machine in the embassy was normal sized!). Rather be safe though!

I didn't have to empty my pockets... but then again they were empty!
    Worst bit for me was car keys. I didn't like having to put them in left luggage! When I handed over the little bag with my keys and phone the guy was like "Off to the Embassy?" and I said yes... clearly not an uncommon occurrence!

I had to drink some of my Ribena to prove it was OK - I didn't mind, but it was weird!
    xx

17. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Yeah I read through the stuff yummy jobs linked to in thier email and there is some form you have to fill in online and upload your pictures to it... I better go read it again to double check LOL!

18. yay-disney

yay-disney New Member

do we have to edit the picture size or will it do it for us coz i only have a normal digital camera.

19. Sofi

Sofi Guest

so if we go with our ipods and phones do they turn u away or tell u where to go? cos obv if i didnt go on here i wouldn't know or do they tell u on the phone when u book the appointment? x

20. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

They tell you on the phone no electronic equipment.

Last year, the form was online, but we still took in our own pictures - I'm hoping we can still do that, because even though I have a camera and could do it, not everyone is able to... and I would probably do it wrong, be sent away and have to go back again....

WHY IS IT SO CONFUSING???????
    xx