When we get there....

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by Brucefield_Belle, May 19, 2010.

1. Brucefield_Belle

Brucefield_Belle New Member

Hey everybody – so my arrival date is really soon ??? – 15 days now AH! I just was wondering what exactly goes on up until we start working? I know Kristen said to bring some extra moola if we want to participate in other things that are going on but I am curious as to what might be. Anybody got info for me?

Brittney
    Canada Merchandise
    June 8, 2010

2. jenkidd67

jenkidd67 New Member

Hey Brittany.

I have never done the CRP program before but i have done the ICP one. The reason they suggest you bring extra money is simply because you dont get your first pay check until about 2-3 weeks after your arrival. When i did the program this was my first few weeks: The very first day you dont do much, when you arrive at vista you watch a video and they give you the keys and take you to your apartment. Then you have time to settle in, like go to Wal Mart and buy things you need for you apartment like bedding, towels and hangers.

The next two days we filled out paper work and orientation and information sessions on housing. I think it was the fourth day that we went to Traditions, which is your first day of work as its the first thing you get paid for. Here you also got your Disney ID which esentially acts as your park ticket as well. So that day everyone spent thier day at Magic Kingdom becuase it was right there. Depending on what your postion is you have training sessions the next couple of days and then usually at least one day off. I think on the CRP program you do a tour of epcot on one of these days too. Then you do on the job training at your actual job location. At some point before you start on the job you have to go and purchase shoes too. You have some spare time during this period and people tend to go out to dinner, shopping or go to the parks. The money the suggest you bring is just to cover your initial expenses of the apartment, shoes and spending money in order to do what ever you want pretty much!

Ill see you there on June 22! I'm from Canada too.

3. jenkidd67

jenkidd67 New Member

Ps. to more specifically answer your question, im pretty sure the other things going on that Kristen is reffering to is not neccisarilly actual events. From the moment you get there you can go to down town disney, the mall and other places in Orlando. Its more the social aspect of going out with other participants.

4. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

awww Britney! kristen is slightloy right but to be honest u're going during a peak time... meaning extra hours and etc..... Both of you will love it... You both will love the Canadian CRP people.... the girls are my babies..... despite i left in august find Melissa Klassen and say Tino aka "one of the b'ys" says hi! she'll look after you... for a week or two before she leave lol

5. Brucefield_Belle

Brucefield_Belle New Member

thanks Tino! I'll make sure I do that. I can't wait to go!

6. wesleyboyd

wesleyboyd New Member

Hey! Ill be working merch too, I arrive on June 22nd though. Not far behind. But I know Melissa too! I met her in Thailand two years ago, and we've hungout a couple times since coming back to Canada, shes actually most of the reason I applied! Shes amazing, youll love her!

7. dspringa

dspringa Member

Hey everyone! I'm starting Oct 19th (can't believe how quick it's coming up.) How are you all finding the program?

8. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

hey

yeah the reason they suggest that you take some extra money is because you wont get your first pay check for a couple of weeks after you arrive and during the first few days/weeks you will be meeting all your new work mates/room mates etc and just generally going out eating & drinking and getting all your new bits and pieces for your apartment,food etc

during the first few days you have to attend meetings at the housing complex and at disney - lots of form filling! usually these meetings start pretty early (8.30am) and last until early afternoon and then you have the rest of the day free. youl have some days that are totally free, so again your probably be heading out and about so some spare cash is advisable :)

9. kmp189

kmp189 New Member

Hey,

Thats really useful info for the first few days/weeks. I was just wondering how they do the pay around Christmas, as I'll be arriving 7th december. Do they pay you before or after, because if it is after I will need to take extra money to pay for food/accommodation during this time.

xx

10. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

I think we get paid weekly (after the first couple of weeks)? So hopefully shouldn't be too worry over xmas? But I'd take some cash just incase?!? that's what i'll be doing! x x

11. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

you will receive your first pay check around 2 weeks after your first shift at work, so usually about 3 weeks after you actually arrive in florida. its the same over the christmas holidays, you still wont get paid utill 2 or 3 weeks have past so yeah you will need to take some extra money with you :)

12. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

When you arrive you have some things to buy too - bedding, work shoes, food, etc you will prob need a cab after ya first walmart trip too as the bus will be pretty busy and if your buying a tonne fo shopping u will be squished most people buy a cheapo payg phone too from walmart tht are like $35ish plus talk time and your going to want to get a calling card to call home to let them know your safe, if your appartment doesnt have wireless or if they have it but arent keen on sharing and your taking a laptop then you will need to either get a router or get an ethernet cable to access the net. you might also not have a tv so again you might need to contribute to the appt to buy one if you think your going to be watching it - they dont provide tvs just the channels, some appartments have a kitty where they buy cleaning supplies so you may be asked to contribute to that too, and of course you will need other things you wouldnt think about like loo rolls, washing powder, maybe an alarm clock.

Theres also the fact you dont get ya disney id until traditions so a lot of people when i arrived went to like universal or seaworld to get a year pass in the afternoon/evening so paid for that and for cabs to get there and back.

With the work shoes if you buy the cheaper shoes then ya feet are going to stink - im not joking you will spend so much time on them and if your a girl you are wearing tights/knee highs after a few weeks your shoes are going to be vile - the cheap ones lasted me like 6 weeks top before I had to get a new pair - the more expensive ones last longer and dont smell as bad. And you will defo need to get yaself several pairs of tights/knee highs for when you start work if they get laddered you can be sent back to cast services to buy new ones

Also the first pay check you get you have to cash as you prob wont have your bank account set up so your gonna have to get time to go cash that at publix or walmart (or we used the garage next to walmart) and you get charged for that too

Also you do tend to go for meals in downtown Disney or bahama breeze with ya arrival group or house mates for first couple of evenings as you don’t really know anyone else yet and they add up