Wireless/Mobile Operators

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by KC, Dec 11, 2005.

1. KC

KC Guest

Hi all,

So, the next step in stuff, I suppose, is figuring out what I'm gonna do for mobile phone access out there...

Two questions:
    1: Is it possible to buy SIM cards out there?
    2: What's the best network out there in terms of coverage in the WDW area, international prices and local prices/to other mobiles etc.?

Thanks!
    K

2. Chloe

Chloe New Member

Everyone gets the same pay as you go TMobile phone when they get out here. It's like a brick lol You go to a party and have 12 identical phones on the table.

As far as international rates...I wouldn't reccomend calling home direct. Just buy a phone card and call from home. There are cards you can pay $10 for and get 16 hours to the UK.

I decided to drop mine so I bought a Sprint contract phone which is working out a lot cheaper for me - and it's a cool phone too!

3. KC

KC Guest

I was thinking for text messaging ;)

I have a triband phone already so a SIM card option could work out cheaper for me but *shrug*

So TMobile is best then?

Also, how easy is it to top up pay as you go phones out there?

K

4. Chloe

Chloe New Member

I have a triband phone from home too but your rates shoot through the roof once you leave the country. I have my English phone here and the minute I landed in FL, it changed to about £3.50 a minute! AND you have to pay about the same to receive calls. Texts home are about 20c a minute from my Sprint phone. That's about the average too.

TMobile...it depends. The only reason people get those phones when they get here is because they cost $40! lol

5. KC

KC Guest

Well, I didnt buy my phone through an operator. I bought it without a sim card from Carphone Warehouse. So I can put any sim card I want into it and it'll work...

Is it possible to get SIM cards by themselves out there?

Also, I think I saw 5c texts somewhere... Not sure though!

Kev, off to put up the xmas tree in the porch

6. Amy_99

Amy_99 New Member

Yeh mines a triband as well and its unlocked so thats what i was thinking was to just put an american sim card in it plus it means i dont need to keep up with my bank account back here

7. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

The phone I have i bought from Rogers here in Canada and I can see it advertised on T-mobiles web site. I too would like to buy a sim card. Is it even worth it if I'm only there for 2.5 months?

8. tess123

tess123 New Member

I am bringing my little phone out with me and getting a sim card, i won't be able to not text for a whole year it will do my head in

9. soumya86

soumya86 New Member

i dont think they use sim cards there ???

10. KC

KC Guest

Reading up on things, I'm pretty sure that a phone can't access a phone network without a SIM card...

*shrug*

The question is whether they sell them seperately-which I'm hoping and presuming they do...

K

11. soumya86

soumya86 New Member

well i've been looking online an it looks like they don't sell them separately. Oh i dunno I just wanna get a mobile (or cell-phone as they call them) to give out to all the hot latino men there, doesn't matter what the phone looks like ;D

12. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

u can buy a sim card...i was gonna buy one last year wen i was in america for a month because i was paying a fortune on my uk contract to text my boyfriend back home.

i asked in a little kiosk by the food court at the florida mall and it was t-mobile and i think it was like 50 dollars, and that included sumthin like 20 dollars credit.

13. soumya86

soumya86 New Member

$50 is quite a lot of money for just a sim :S

14. KC

KC Guest

If you get 20 dollars credit, it's technically only 30...

Which isnt bad seeing as it'd be used for local calls and texts only...

Which would do me fine for 3 months, I think

15. soumya86

soumya86 New Member

yeh i spose, im gonna be out there for a year so i dunno what to do. Can't live without texting :(

16. hackettboi

hackettboi Guest

Spot On!
    The Florida Mall or a couple of others are littered with Cell-Phone Kiosks and Carts. I aint kidding, you'll see when you're there! However, it might be worth your while venturing into a few electrical stores too as the Malls can be somewhat 'Tourist Prices'.

I also know, some of the 'Pay-As-You-Go' cell phones have a SIM built in, which you cant get at. (ie: Virgin Mobile)

Happy Shopping Folks! ;D

17. some phones can operate without SIM cards...in canada the phone company Telus doesn't use SIM cards so I just swiched to Rogers, got a new phone that came with a sim card so I can just buy one in Florida and get my phone unlocked here before I leave.

As for calling home, which I hope to do every few days or more...my mom was thinking of getting a 1-800 number, or I am wondering if those $20 an month long distance plans still exist...or just buy phone cards. I'll be looking into a lot...

18. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

ive worked in greece the past 4 summers and b4 i went the first time i was like yeh il fone home every 3 days...in the end u dont call that much, i sent a text maybe every 3 days to let them know everything was ok, but only had a proper fone call and chat once a week or once a fortnight.

19. KC

KC Guest

I'm sure It'll end up something like that...

But for being able to contact people in Florida (for meeting up, etc.), you can't beat texting :D

K

20. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

also...if u have a local sim card...like i had a greek one, i didnt pay to recieve calls from home, like u would with a uk sim. my mum used to ring me even if i had no credit in my mobily, it cost my mum at home the price of an international call tho on the home fone bill.