Wondering about experience

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by Charly246, May 11, 2013.

1. Charly246

Charly246 New Member

Does anyone know if they take people that don't have a lot of work experience?
    I have only had a few jobs, but everyone I hear about that has gone has had a lot of different work experience, so I'm a little nervous about it haha :)

2. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Obviously the more experience you've had the better, especially if, for example, you have worked in retail and you are applying for Merchandise, but I don't think they base their hiring process on work experience, after all, we are Uni students, so aren't going to have years of experience in anything particularly. As long as you are happy, confident, enthusiastic and friendly, you'll be considered just as much if you had loads of experience I reckon. 8)

3. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

When I did it the first time, it was pretty much my first job I had ever had (aside from 3 months one night a week as a barmaid). For many people it is their first job.

It's more about what you can offer and your personality, but if you haven't had a job don't submit a CV with nothing on. So you haven't had anything paid - maybe you did voluntary work somewhere, Duke of Edinburgh, part of a sports team, a club at school, worked on group projects?

There's loads of books out there on writing CVs, I read several before even attempting to make mine! Put on anything that could be relevant, and in your cover letter make sure you say why you would be a good fit for the program. Loving Disney is not a good enough reason - most people who apply do. Wanting a summer in the sun is not a good reason either. You're there for a job not a holiday!

The best advice I can give you is to work on your CV, get a few people to read over it, try and have a short section saying about you and your eventual career aims (for example I want to work in tourism so this is a great chance for me - but if you wanted to be a Dr then it's less relevant and maybe you want to get more experience working with people). Put down anything relevant you have done, and if you don't have experience try and volunteer over the summer in a charity shop or similar, looks a lot better than doing nothing!

Best of luck :) feel free to ask as many questions as you want! We're all here to help :)
    xx

4. megannn

megannn Member

When I applied I'd only had one "proper" job and one of those annoying "promoting crap nightclubs" jobs.
    I emailed YJ asking if that was a problem and they said it's a good idea to get experience to back yourself up but not overly important.
    I had quite a lot of experience with volunteering/children but I think it's mostly based on how you come across in the interviews (you'll want your CV to look good though to get through to interviews).
    I'd recommend doing some volunteering cause it looks good on your CV, no matter what job you're applying for!
    Good luck :)

5. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

I've had a few jobs and volunteered at a local charity shop last year in order to improve my experience but I know people who are going with me this year who have had no experience at all in a work environment. Having experience definitely won't hurt your application so if you can get something then it's a bonus. Unpaid work experience is actually really good for your CV, I would say it has probably benefitted me more than any paid role I have had because people see that you actually do want to work and improve your skills and you aren't just there for the money.
    Like people have said here, volunteer if you can and if not then think about other things you have done e.g. prefect at school, worked on a team project etc. which have shown skills that you can apply to a role at WDW.
    Hope this helps and good luck on your application!