Working for DCL, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by AnnaBell, Aug 23, 2012.

1. AnnaBell

AnnaBell New Member

Hi everyone, i'm hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice. I've just been invited to interview in October for a dining room server role. I'm just wondering if it is something I should commit at least 6 months of my life to. I'm not exactly sky rocketing up the ladder in my current job so don't really have anything tieing me down here. I did the CRP programme and absolutely loved it, but I assume this will be a totally different experience. I hear such varying opinions from people, some loved it, some hated it.

I'd just love to get some of your perspectives on it, will it be worth my while?

Hope everyone is ok, and thanks for any advice you can give.

xxx

2. Birdman22

Birdman22 New Member

Everybody will tell you something different, I'm currently re applying to do it again so not that bad that I'm going back.

Pretty much minimum 12 hour days but that isnt in one go it's split up breakfast - break - lunch - break - dinner - sleep 4/5 hours.
    You are always sleep deprived, the worst part is the living conditions, the small beds I can put up with but with a bathroom with a shower thrown in beside a mini toilet and sink and u can't use it as a shower as the curtain won't close around you and the air con works when it wants to so you come back to a sauna as a bed.
    Money wise around $850 - $1100 per week assistant server as this is what you start out as.

Everyone is in the same boat ( excuse the pun ) so you all just get on with it, you make great friends and what I'm doing it for again is saving money. You hardly touch it except for basic items from ports, snacks and the $1 crew bar! so after 6 months you have around $15,000 - $18,000 waiting for you

3. Birdman22

Birdman22 New Member

Oh also when and where is your interview?

4. AnnaBell

AnnaBell New Member

Thanks Bird, appreciate your perspective.

My interview is in Manchester on 22nd October. I sent my CV to Excellent Hospitality ages ago and forgot about it, then got an e-mail from them out of the blue the other day.

5. Birdman22

Birdman22 New Member

Oh and here is an example of a day for you .....
    6:15am Wake up
    6:45am :: 2:45pm Clock-in, serve breakfast & lunch
    3:00pm :: 3:45pm Break (Nap time!)
    4:00pm :: 4:30pm Safety Drill
    5:00pm :: 12:00am Serve dinner

6. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

Re: Re: Working for DCL, is it worth it?

I really hope this isn't the case for YAC, that sounds like hell if I'm honest.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

7. Birdman22

Birdman22 New Member

YAC actually work longer at night than we do upto 2am sometimes due to midnight cinema showing etc ..... however you get a little longer in bed as us servers deal with them first and pump them full of sugary pancakes and syrup and send them to you later on in the morning all hyper to enjoy