YAC / Merch Positions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by wishfulthinkingperhaps, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about applying for a position onboard a Disney Ship for quite some time now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to submit my application this week.
    I am just struggling to decide between YAC and Merch positions, I have equal experience in both fields - Do any current or past crew have any advice of either of these positions? I think i'm leaning more towards Merch.

After watching all the DCLJOBS videos, are the showers truly as small as they seem? they don't even look functional, haha but I guess they are.

When you apply for a position do you have any input as to which ship you are placed on? what are the pros / cons of the current fleet.
    Sorry for the 20 questions.

2. Blondie85

Blondie85 New Member

I work in YA, and its hard work! but can be so much fun! Merch get a better deal sometimes, as they have more time off in ports than we do!
    Yes the rooms and showers are as small as they look in the videos. but you get used to them! :)
    You can request a ship, but they will pretty much put you wherever they need you at the time. I think all the ships have pros and cons, the magic and wonder have better itinerarys, but the dream has shorter cruises which is great if youre YA and wana get rid of bad kids! the dreams rooms are also a bit bigger, and the crew areas are nicer, but the magic has better food aparently!! (ive only worked the magic but have mates on all the ships)

Id say dont worry too much about which ship. just apply, and then be prepared to go anywhere at anytime on hardly any notice, and just run with it! :)