6 month "Summer Program" Job Offer

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Shrooden, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ona

Ona Member

Yeah H2B visas aren't as restrictive as Q1s. So you could pick up extra hours else where. That is, of course, assuming you are not scheduled for 60 hours already! :D

Nio, who in Int. Rec. did you speak to? I know some folks who have enquired as to whether other positions are available and have been told point blank no. :-\ Basically H2B visas are for temp. unskilled workers for jobs where there is a temporary labor shortage. Which for WDW at the mo, is obviously QSF&B. They have hundreds (if not thousands) of positions to fill and noone to fill them. So if they need these roles filled, are they really going to open up other postions to us? :-\ I wish they would though. :D

I had to call this week and decline the alumni prog offer (I even had the visa papers through :'( ). With the phone int. being next week now for the Academic Prog., the dates were too far apart so I had to make a decision. So fingers crossed for the academic program. :-\ :D

Ona x

2. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I really would think a H2B visa could be justified for all roles given the current labour shortage! If it's even slightly worse this summer than last there are going to be major problems.

3. Ona

Ona Member

I agree Andy. They just need folks full stop.

I was just curious as to why it's only QSF&B being offered. Perhaps guessing it was those specific roles for which the visa was petitioned. :-\ Who knows really. ;D

A question for last years ICPs: were you acutely aware of the shortages in your work area last year? Just curious whether everyone felt it and what kind or hours CPs ended up doing. Lots of mandatory OT? :-\

So come on Disney, offer folks some other positions and I'm sure more internationals will be happier to help out with the labor shortage. ;D (Oh and lets folks do the ICP more than once! ;) )

Ona x

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

At times, yes. You always knew they were short.

My schedule was better than most. In my first few weeks I was on 4 days of twelve hours; they were long days, and by the end of the fourth I was unsurprisngly quite tired, but overall having three free days was wonderful. From early August onwards, though, spring CPs began to go home and there was a gap before the fall CPs arrived. The recreation aspects waterparks are heavenly dependent on CPs and it had a major impact: 6 day week of 10.5 hours from memory. I ended up at one stage being scheduled eleven consecutive 10.5 hour days (five day week followed by a six day week); I confess I took a day off sick after the sixth as I simply wouldn't have been able to lifeguard properly.

This sounds quite negative for a post from me: I'm not meaning to put anyone off - it was of course great fun overall :D. Ultimately, you're going to work and you're expecting a high number of hours. That the work is enjoyable helps a lot :)

5. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

QS F&B is extremely lacking in CM's! During peak times, the Bakery and Cone Shop alone have 40 extra hour position's open (great as I want to get extra hours there every week once I get to JC!) but that just shows how many people we need! Currently all the CP's are on 6 day weeks...shifts ranging from 6 hours to 12, although since Spring Break is over the crowds have thinned and we're doing less hours due to the parks closing earlier, but it seems funny now that less than 50 hours a week is not enough for me! compared to when I got here and was scared of even doing 30!

6. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

That's why I said no. I knew I could pick-up extra hours, but didn't really think I'd have all that much time too!!!

Shan

7. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey,

I just got another email, asking if I wouldn't like to join the Alumni Program. I turned down the first offer about 2 weeks ago.

Did anyone else got a second email even you said "no", though?

Dani :D

8. paalerik

paalerik New Member

Me too. I told them now. but i want to...
    But then i do not want to work for 6.90 when i Know that they need servers at resturant akershus(Norway)

9. Gundu81

Gundu81 New Member

Yeah, I got that, too, probably everybody did, it seems they are kind of desperate now ;)...I'd love to go there again, but the conditions are just bad

10. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Im the same as everyone else, would love to go back but said no as QS f&b is def not for me - the UK chippy for three months was enough!! And Im sure theres a lot worse QS locations that that. Maybe if the contract was for attractions I might be tempted!!! Even though theres always the opportunity to pick up extra hours, like others have said I dont know what chance youd have to take them with the crazy hours we'd likely be working!

I told them to keep me in my mind if anything else comes up though - guess you never know!!!

Michelle xx

11. Dannii

Dannii New Member

I don't know what to do... ??? There are so many things happening right now. Actually planed to move to London with my b/f... but the chance to go back to the USA is quit tempting. I don't fancy QS at all.. My former japanese roomie, which I miss like hell, got the offer as well and is thinking about it... We did talk about a reunion sooooooooooooooooooo often and this would be a chance - well a 5month reunion, though.. :D My b/f didn't get the offer and I ask if there is a chance to do it together but they are not offering him a position at all :mad:

I just hate it... ::)

dani

12. paalerik

paalerik New Member

i know how you feel. But at least i did send in the answer that i want to do it. Me and a friend are in the process of negotiating with the resturant over at Norway. And if it doesn't go my way i don't have to send in the info with my adress etc etc ;) ;) ;)

P

13. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Looks like they are now offering this program to guys who are waitlisted for the International Program! ::)

Must not be able to get enough Alumni to fill it! I turned it down yesterday when they called to find out if I had my flight booked for Sunday!!! ??? It all seems a bit disorganised to me!!! I just didn't fancy the quick service food and bev thing. Think it would be ok for 1st timers working at Disney but after having worked merch in Epcot and on the ship I just couldn't see myself doing quick service..........no disrespect to guys who are going or have done quick service before! ;D

Laura. :)

14. adjonline

adjonline New Member

QSF&B seems a role which has the potential to go either-way. ODF wouldn't be too bad, and Lou appears to have had greta fun in the bakery; but I can't imagine the Electric Umbrella, or Cosmic Rays being too enjoyable.

15. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Well, here is my story....

I accepted the new offer I got and send them my answer last monday, got an email a day later that they have checked everything and that I can start preparing, booking a visa appointment, bla bla bla...

Wednesday I got an email saying: "Unfortunately, due to your rehire status, we regret to inform you that you will be unable to participate on the Seasonal World Program."

So, how can they send me an email a day earlier that they have checked my file and everything is ok???

Everything is more than disorganized.

16. Ona

Ona Member

Dani that's mad! So what would have happened if you had booked a flight etc. :-\

It appears to me that Int. Rec. has it's hands full at the moment. But that really shouldn't be a reason for such chaos to ensue. :-\

I totally agree. But that can also be the case for any role. I believe that any WDW job is what you make it. Would I be able to make Pizzafari a magical experience every day? :-\ I guess I won't know now. But for me it's about guest contact. For me, it'd be difficult to make magic if I never actually had any guest contact. To be honest, I'd much rather custodial than QSF&B for that very reason. But like I said, if that was the only option, I'd be doing it. :-\ ;D

Ona x

17. adjonline

adjonline New Member

18. johnnyhendry

johnnyhendry New Member

Does anyone have a copy of the email that Disney sent out.If you do can you send it to john.p.hendry@disney.com.
    Thank you for any help.
    John H

19. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

I've forward my original e-mail I received from International Recruitment on to you. ;D

Laura. :)

20. johnnyhendry

johnnyhendry New Member

Thank you for the email.