ALL RECENT UK CRP PEOPLE

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by disney-dude, Dec 19, 2010.

1. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

Hi I am applying for the CRP in Jan and I know (think) we don't get a say in what role we would prefer. However, if I'm lucky enough to get to the 2nd and 3rd stage, I was planning on targeting my responses to show expertise and a preference for a certain role. I was originally wishing to do merch, as I figured you don't go into a tipped position straight away in f and b. Also, to be honest, I'm guessing its not so manic as f and b (I'm sure it is busy, but a different type of busy). Also, I heard you have the option of having an extra day off and doing longer shifts to compensate in Merch. Is the above true? Also, what would you all recommend? Are the tips i.e. total extra income in f and b good? Is f and b, totally manic? Just wondering if i did merch, would I spend my time really poor in comparison to the f and b people? Thanks.

2. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

OK, well first of all you do have some sort of say in where you end up-although the final decision is down to Disney, you can express a preference.

I did f and b and it is very true you are ten times as busy in f and b than merch. Im not sure about the extra day as an automatic thing but it is true that Merch got given random unexpected days off far more frequently than F and B just because they werent needed in always-sounds good, however you dont get paid for those days.

I would always recommend f and b for the simple reason that not only is it fun to work in an environment where you arent stuck behind a cash register all the time,and so can actually move about and speak to people(some of my closest friendships were actually made when we were in work,talking nonsense and not actually working) but yes, you make a LOT more money. a few hundred dollars a day easy.......once you get into service. And the tips are not extra income, they basically are your income. in food and bev once you go into service, your wages go down to something like $1.50 per hour, which barely covers your monthly rent. It is manic, but it is not all you-you only have a few tables at one time, so provided you can juggle your tables and get a sytem of your own, you will be fine.

As for would you be poor in Merch. Well, most of the people who went on trips were food and bev. comparatively speaking i suppose you would be

3. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Wages right now are as follows:
    $7.95 an hour for Non-tipped F&B
    $7.75 an hour for Merchies
    $4.10 and hour for tipped F&B.

Right now, merchies are pretty well staffed, so their hours are reasonable (not too many, not too few), and they're all pretty happy.
    F&B has a slight lack of servers, so they're all doing 6 day weeks. Hopefully, this will go down for them in January when the park gets quieter. You have to remember that even though they earn more, they have less time to spend it in.
    F&B podium/chippie is over-staffed right now (people haven't moved into service, and 8 new people just started). We are, however, getting loads of hours atm due to it being Christmas. Come January, I have no idea what will happen.

If I were you, I would go with whichever job you would prefer doing. Forget about the money, that's not why you want this job. You have to be happy doing whatever you end up with. You can't pick F&B because you want the money of service... you will be on podium/chippie for a few months before they'll even consider you for service, and even then, there's no guarantee that you'll get into service/bar. In answer to your final question... in comparison to tipped F&B merchies are poor, in comparison to non-tipped f&B, they're not.

If I were you, I'd forget about the money, and think more about which job you'd actually be happy doing.

4. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

all really good advice, ill need to have a think

5. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

I'm bored so I was going through all the all threads. I don't know if I have said about this at all.

I was one of the merchies who had the extra day off. It's not automatic and not everyone is lucky enough to have one. It works on a seniority basis. There are only 5 people who can have an extra day off so it is the 5 people who have been there the longest. It took me about 7 months to start getting the extra day off.

Saying that...I LOVED merch which is why I applied to do it again. Sorry it has taken over a month to comment on this thread hahaha.