Am I too old to go for this opportunity?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by orlando, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Megara

Megara New Member

I don't see how it would be possible to have a second job as your visa is only for working in your country's pavillion and Disney don't seem to let you change between F&B and Merch (I'm not sure about attractions as the UK doesn't have those so we havn't been told but I would thing the same applies). I'm sure you can be terminated for seeking work off Disney property even if the other place didn't care about visa's, so no, I really don't think you can. Sorry!

2. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Meg is right, you can't work anywhere but the pavilion becuase of your Visa. ANd you can be termed just by applying for another job while down there.

3. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

Did you know a gay guy asked me to marry him? lol Only because I was american.
    He did the IP and wanted to stay in the USA (I met him a year after his IP).
    So when he found out I was american he asked me to marry him, to stay with him for a year until he gets a green card and then he would pay for the divorce lol

Its just a joke but I thought I would share it lol> Tell your gf to stay on hold lol until you are able to live there lol

4. CanadaChris2001

CanadaChris2001 New Member

I hate to be Devil's Advocate but I would be very wary about using the IP to start a Disney entertainment career. The IP is not intended to be a foot-in-the-door opportunity for foreign citizens seeking a career at WDW, and they actively discourage people from applying who want to use it as that.

In fact, I would not even mention it in the interview - if you start asking about going to auditions, or about getting a second job during the program due to financial obligations, you will likely actually hurt your chances of even getting hired in the first place. They want people with realistic expectations about the program who will be dedicated to it and focused on it for the year they are there, and then move on to make room for the next people. Despite how recruiting dresses it up in the presentation, the IP is not really a career development program or true internship with Disney - it's essentially hourly seasonal employment with housing provided.

Granted, it can be a ton of fun and a great experience if you do it at the right time in your life and in your career. However if you are really ONLY interested in entertainment, then you would be better off to stay in Canada and focus on building up a good entertainment resume for a year and audition with Disney locally when you have the chance. I'm sure the Disney producers will prefer someone with a solid year of performing experience in Canada over someone who spent a year serving popcorn for 6 months and/or steak for 6 months, even if it did happen to be on Disney property.

5. Littlefoot

Littlefoot New Member

I tend to agree with chris, but I do beleive that where there is a will there is a way!!

You might want to consider applying to the Disney Cruise Line for an entertainment job, which might be a better route into the parks. In fact, some people prefer Entertainment on the ships to the parks...depending on lifestyle desire.

Just another option available to you!
    ali

6. orlando

orlando New Member

Thanks to all who replied. The financial obligations is really the problem at the moment, and as much as I wish, wish, wish upon a star, that school debt is too much for me to repay while down there. I've considered filing for bankrupcty in order to do this opportunity (the things we would do to work for Disney) but I cant cuz my well-meaning parents co-signed the loan agreement. They'll be stuck with it! :-( So, looks like I will either have to make loads of cash fast, in a legal way (or else get caught and really kiss the dream goodbye!) or...., ah, or what? I guess there's no other solution. Mind you, if I was to get hired as a performer on the DCL or in the parks, I wouldnt be looking into this anymore.

Question for WickedQueenAna: you said your relatives are in their sixties and applying? So how does it work for housing when "couples" are hired? I didnt think they allowed co-ed?

7. monkian

monkian New Member

not sure yet....we shall see!!

i think i heard someone say they can share a small apartment if they give proof of marriage etc etc.

8. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

DO THEY HAVE PROOF?? :eek: :eek:

BA HA HA HA BA HA HA

9. orlando

orlando New Member

hmm, thats kinda silly. lots of couples nowadays live together without being married....kinda childish that you'd have to be separated no?

10. Megara

Megara New Member

Trouble is that is if they let unmarried couples who live together have an apartment to themselves, then they'd have to let couples who don't live together already have a single room or risk getting done for discrimination. Then you'd end up with people who start dating while out there asking for a single room appt. and Disney having to let them because all the other couples have one.... Not only would they end up running out of single rooms but, have the hassle of putting people back into normal appts. when they split up after 4 weeks and don't want to share anymore.
    Even if Disney said they had to provide proof of living together, it isn't hard to get your mail sent to your partners address for a while, heck, I get some of my mail sent to a friend's house for one reason or another but certainly don't live there.

At least a marriage certificate proves the couple have at least thought about staying together for a while and are more than likely used t living together.

11. CPB

CPB New Member

The Apartments are not co-ed.

All girls live together - all boys live together. Though apartment buildings are mixed. So you could be living next door to someone from the opposite sex.

Disney does not like to be seen promoting the antics that does take place at these apartments. Only people who are actually married can apply for an apartment together once they get there, and can prove it. There was 2 people i knew (not personally) who got married and was allowed to live in a 1 bedroomed apartment together.

Good luck to your parents Ana.

12. monkian

monkian New Member

yes i think they still have their crinkly old marriage certificate somewhere SLG....lol....from a million years ago.
    thanks CPB

13. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

WHAT?? ??? ???

You talkin to me ANA?? :D :D 8) 8)

14. monkian

monkian New Member

i don't see anyone else here........actually i do but thats not the point ....mwaahahahahahaha

15. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

CRAZY CANADIAN HERE................