Any problems re-entering the USA as a tourist?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by marshabrady, May 2, 2007.

1. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

Hi,

Can anyone offer advice? Whilst at Disney my program was extended, and I was issued a new I94 card. I accidently handed in the old I94 card on departure (Doh!). I have since sent the newer one to customs, so that shouldn't be too much hassle.
    However, I made another boo boo. My visa end date was December 19th, and I actually left on December 20th. My managers told me that I could do this as the visa only tells you when you can WORK until, and you actually have about 7 days after this to leave. But now I am reading the small print, and it says you must leave no later than the date on the visa. (Thanks UK merch managers!!).
    Anyway, I am planning to return in June, and am v worried that I will be stopped at customs and thrown in a jail cell! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did everyone manage to get back into the USA as a tourist no problem? Help!

Thanks
    Beth

2. Shrooden

Shrooden New Member

Hi Beth

I have been in several times since finishing the program in 03, and I have never experienced a problem.

I now live in Canada, and because when I enter the States I am not leaving the continent, I now require a US visa for entry, even just for travel, or I might be refused. When you get the B1/B2 visa for travel, it pretty well eliminates any border isssues. If you are at all unsure, I would book a trip to the US embassy in London, and go speak to them about the possibility of getting a visa. It will cost you $100 for the privilage, and a very long day in London, but it''s better than going all the way to the US and being sent packing on the first flight home.

If you decide to do this, bear in mind it takes about 6 weeks to get an appointment so leave plenty of time! (And you need to leave your passport so dont go when you are planning a holiday/trip outside the uk!)

Hope that helps, any Q's feel free to PM me.

3. CPB

CPB New Member

When you got your new I-94 was there a date of expiry on it? Some times they give a later date on your I-94 than on your visa. You then go by the I-94.

However, if you did overstay by one day you should have no problem entering the US on holiday. If you overstay more than 181 days, then you are subject to a 3 year ban. They may ask you at Immigration why you overstayed by a day, and you can explain what happened. Though if you are worried, I do agree that you should maybe speak with someone at the US Embassy. They might recommend applying for a tourist visa, or you may be ok to enter on the visa waiver.

4. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

I was told with the visa you have 30 days after the visa expires to leave the country (the same as you would if you came in as a tourist). I stayed about a week after my visa expired (my I-94 however had a later date on it which was 30 days later than the visa) and have had no problems going back.

5. minniejj

minniejj New Member

hey there im so sorry i cant help you with your information, but are you from the uk?? im tryin to gt a job in disney and its really hard. ny info??? jenny

6. hannahike

hannahike New Member

I finished working on August 30th and thats what it said on my visa but I didnt leave the USA till September 20th. You have 30 days to leave the country after the date on you visa.. that dates just means that you cant work after that date.

xx

7. Colin

Colin Member

This actually depends on the type of visa you have issued...

On a Q-1 visa you have to leave the country by the date printed on your I-94 this is why Disney petition for a 13 month visa for a 12 month program to give you travel time at the end. When you successfully complete your international program you have 30 days from your completion date OR until the date printed on your I-94 to leave the country whichever is SOONER!!! Ie I completed on 23rd November, but my I-94 date was 12th Dec so I had to leave by 12th Dec.

I know this is different with J1 visas, but there are many types of them and they may all have their own rules.

I do believe you get a few days leeway to allow for transportation problems etc. Say for example your flight was cancelled or delayed.

Hope that helps,

Colin

8. Diana

Diana New Member

I never returned my I-94 card. I still have it. When I entered Canada again they never said a thing. I have re-entered the States many times since without any problems. I have a new passport too so I don't know if that maybe has something to do with it. They may ask you a few extra questions and want proof of your return flight back to the UK. Just be prepared. If you can talk to someone at the US Embassy, I'm sure that wouldn't hurt.

9. Grouchy87

Grouchy87 New Member

Hey Beth. Long time no spk, hows things?

With my extension i left in plenty of time before the end date and had no probs going back a yr later, although i got the usual grilling at immigration about my visit! I'm sure it'll be ok, they prob won't even realise u left 1 day late

Bryan

10. craiggg

craiggg New Member

I had a J1 Visa, and i've been back to America a few times since..

No problems at all! Customs officers seem nicer if anything, they know you had a visa when they scan your passport, and they chatted to me about it on both occasions, where did you work, did you like it? etc etc.