Career with Disney

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by DisneyGibbs, May 4, 2006.

1. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Howdy!

I'm currently on the J1 Academic Program...and was just wondering... has anyone ever returned to have a career with Disney? I know I definitely want to return to Disney after I've graduated froom University....and it's easy for US CP's as they can just say when they're there and get changed to full time status! But obviously I guess for internationals it's slightly harder?

Have a magical day!

Louisa x

2. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Well I'd love to hear an affirmative answer to this question too. Alas, unless it's with the cruise line, I think it's most unlikely. The way US immigration works, gaining entry-level job don't allow one to gain permanent residence. Residents of lots of countries can enter the Green Card lottery, which offers a chance of gaining permanent residence - unfortunately, we from the UK (unless you are lucky enough to be from Northern Ireland) are excluded from the lottery.

I have to bring up marriage again as what seems to be the easiest option (K-visa eligibility, it seems). Another would be moving out to do a wholly different job and getting permanent residence, then moving over to Disney - but that would probably mean you were moving from a very well paid position to a much lower paid entry-level Disney role.

It's not easy. But I guess if someone was to try hard enough, and have a little bit of pixie dust on their side, it's not impossible!

3. NicolaB

NicolaB New Member

I asked this question to yummy jobs at my interview and was told that because of the visa we go over there on there is no chance of us being able to work over there again unless we get sponsored by a company. They even said that if they thought anyone was going over there to try to get a permenanat visa to work there we wouldn't even be accepted on the program!

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Yes, the primary point of the interview at the embassy/consulate is to confirm that you are planning on returning to the UK. That's one reason why, for instance, ICPs are asked to bring proof that they will be continuing in university education on their return to the UK.

There's always a chance, but it's a very small one :(

5. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

what about canadians? is it this complicated for us too>

6. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

For a Canadian.....there is NO WAY you could get a job there UNLESS you are a US resident!! You MUST have a VISA for you to work in the STATES and unless you MARRY an American or apply for a lottery Visa.....it will be EXTREMeLY difficult to stay and work!!

7. Dannii

Dannii New Member

I remember a german girl that got married shortly after 9/11 and she got offered a position at mgm.. I guess that's the only way nowadays to get a job... I would love to return as well but don't wanna marry....

I also do know that about 10 years ago they have offered position to international program ppl... there is one french manager (former ip) at the big disney store in epcot.. gosh... and a friend who did work germany f&b turned down the offer...

guess we are to late... :'(

dani

8. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

who was the german person?

9. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Her name is Anja, she did the program about... ermm.. 8 years ago.. she turned down the offer because she didn't want to be a server her whole life and wanted to get back with her b/f

10. Sabrina1981

Sabrina1981 New Member

I heard about to german girls who stayed in orlando but both didnt work for disney directly. One used to be my friends roommate and the other was his gf for a while. in one case i know for sure she signed up for university and later got married.
    when i was there in 01 i also met a norwegian girl who still worked at epcot cause she got married while she was in the programm. I know never say never but i cant imagine marry someone who I know for maximum 12 month.

11. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Hmm, that does not bode well.
    Maybe I will apply for that lottery after I graduate... what about internships though? I thought I saw some for international postings... maybe it was only US though...

12. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

no im pretty sure there were some international professional internships

13. flavour

flavour New Member

do you know her last name, or where she was from?

one of the sales people at my job now used to be on the program, too, and then went on to work for disney here in germany...don't really know why she quit though...

14. DisneyGibbs

I friggin hate stupid visas and stupid laws and omg I just want to work for Disney for the rest of my life and this just completely ruins it all :-[

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

15. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

So if your an ICP and you want to do the ICP again, the year after u can't?? ???

16. adjonline

adjonline New Member

No, you can't :mad: (Although that isn't actually for a visa reason, that's just Disney's policy).

And yes, everything Lou said :p

17. Ona

Ona Member

Lou, I sooooooooooooooooooo feel your pain. :'( And I don't want to bring anyone down...... but I thought I'd get over it. But I haven't. :-\ And now I'm pretty sure I'm NEVER going to. It's a kind of joke with me, my family and friends at the mo; how many degrees are left 'unused' as a sacrafice for Disney! :-\

For us international guys (at the mo) the only options of an actual career are

1) DLRP (assuming you speak french and want to live in Europe).
    2) DCL (assuming you're prepared to slog it and live in a cabin forever)
    3) Hammersmith (assuming you are a magician and can get through their impenetrable walls ::))

brennan0720, again I hate to burst any bubbles, but there are no international internships. All the AIs (Advanced internships) do not sponsor visas. Hence, as an alien, you are unable to apply. :( If there was such a thing, I'd be on it. :)

Don't get me started on the diversity lottery. I had a random woman shouting at me in the airport over the darn thing! Honestly, who listens to other folks conversations, misunderstands and then jumps right in! ::)

Grrr... breathe Ona breathe. ::) :)

Ona x

18. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I'm presuming from your comment the answer to this is going to be very little, but...how much do you know about Hammersmith?

19. DisneyGibbs

Well I'm prepared to do anything to live here! I'm more at home in Orlando than I ever have been in the UK. Why can't I have been American?!?

20. DisneyGibbs

Oh but if I don't get to work for Disney...I'm going for Broadway instead ;)

so if you care to find me, look to the western skies!