Career with Disney

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by DisneyGibbs, May 4, 2006.

1. PeXoXaLoVePooH

PeXoXaLoVePooH Active Member

spanish is EASY! lol

well its my native language, really if u want i can help u with it ;)

2. PeXoXaLoVePooH

PeXoXaLoVePooH Active Member

im planning take french in september, this semester finish my english course! yey!!! finally graduated :p and im thinking on start a frech one ;D

3. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

Im confused... at our Interview, they said to us... and I quote

"Most of the people who return to us do take up the custodial role"

:( What if u wanted to do the IP?!

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I think the recruiters, erm, like promoting custodial roles. To the extent of over-promoting them :p

5. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

Lol - Yeah totally!!

I wish u could do it again :mad:

6. adjonline

adjonline New Member

7. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

I feel cheated on now lol....

Lets just hope things change in the next few years, and maybe I'll at least get on the IP lol

8. Canadian_Sara

Canadian_Sara New Member

I looked into doing the summer program again, Im not sure about the UK, but from Canada you couldnt because of the visa. You are only able to hold a J1 visa once. I am going back on the alumni program, but its on an H2b visa and it lasts for 6 months (into November)

9. Ona

Ona Member

Hmmm... interesting.... I know it is possible to have more than more J1 visa in a lifetime but perhaps the J1-S is more restrictive. :-\ Would explain the inexplicable. ;D

Ona x

10. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I don't think that's correct. I initially thought that the reason one couldn't do the summer program more than once is because the J1-S visa is once only (I think I read it on the portal). However, I've now been told specificially by Alexis at Yummy Jobs, and by WDW Int. Recruiting, that the reason is not the visa - it is simply Disney policy not to allow people to participate on the ICP program more than once.

Also, BUNAC's summer program seems to use the same J1-S visa and they allow people to participate more than once (interestingly, BUNAC allow you to get a visa and then sought out your own job. So I could theoretically get a visa from them, go over to WDW and apply for a job at casting. It just seems way too risky...plus would mean a need to sort out own housing!).

11. Ona

Ona Member

So the mystery remains. ::) ;D

Hmm... again, interesting... Bunac are using the J1-S now? I did the work America program back in 2002 and it was on a plain old J-1. No interview at the embassy either. Ah the good 'ole days. :D

It's so funny reading your post Andy since I spent months calling Int. Rec. and writing to Disney execs. in 2002 begging them to either restart the ICP (it was rather conveniently pulled for the years I was an undergrad ::) ) or let me live in Vista since I already had a visa through Bunac. ;D

I almost went down there and did that! Chickened out about the whole transportation issue at the last minute and ended up in New Jersey! ;D

Ona x

12. Canadian_Sara

Canadian_Sara New Member

are you from the UK, I wanted to work at a summer camp in the US and I couldnt because they used the J1 visa and I had already used my one time. And Cast-A-Way told me that it had nothing to do with Disney not allowing me back, it was the visa ... but maybe its different for canadians or something.

13. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Sara, yes I am from the UK. I'd be surprised if they were different policies for the UK and Canada though. The visas appear universal. Anyhow I've got a number of e-mails saying I could have the visa again.

Ona, I amused by how our lines of thought for getting out there are so similar :p. (I think the execs option is next and last option...e-mail to Lee Cockerell helpfully commenting on how they can reduce, even slightly, their cast shortage).

One thing I am wondering is whether "J1-S" is a figment of imagination...just got my passport out, and under visa class, it simply says "J1"!

14. trueblue

trueblue New Member

hey guys!

i've been lurking around your thread for a little while! I feel the same way about wanting to return to Disney! And I've also be racking my brain trying to conjure up ways (albeit, legal ways! lol) to return to WDW! So I am so glad that I have found some kinsmen here! lol

;D

@ Ona: that is awesome how you are returning to WDW! I am soooo envious over here! lol. I guess all your hard work and perserverence paid off, eh? ;)

@ Andy: I have the same kinda dilemma as you. I have approx 15-18 months to go (depending on overloading my courses) before I can graduate. I'm also studying law (although I'm definitely steering away from Criminal Law! lol) and....*blush* atm I think I would be quite happy to give up a careers as a lawyer for the chance to work in some aspect of the walt disney company. But then thats kinda crazy, eh?

Anyway, I am glad that I have found you guys on this thread, so at least then we can keep the dream alive! ;D

15. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

It says on the US embassy website that if you have a valid visa already but you do not meet certain conditions then you have to get a new one. So technically that means you should be able to get a new one.

My cousin done Bunac's camp America last year and was invited back this year, so im sure that you can get another one.

16. Emily

Emily New Member

Hello!

I just have a couple of questions about visa's and so forth. My mother's side of the family are all american and she holds an american passport. Does this make it easier for me to work in the states after I am done the year program? I am Canadian by the way.

And I would love to work at Disney Paris but my french is very basic. How long is the program for just English speaking people? Does anyone have a website or information I can read about it?

Thanks so much!

17. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Hi Emily,

DLRP isn't really a program - they are random jobs for which they provide housing. It appears fairly ad-hoc. It took me a while to discover anything - if you want the information I finally obtained, and the application form, send me your e-mail address and I can forward it.

I imagine you'd have a much better chance than most of US of getting a green card, but that's just gut feeling. I'm sure the US Embassy in your country would be able to let you know!

A

18. Ona

Ona Member

I've been doing a bit of digging (yes, I am that sad ::) ;D) and I can't find any info. on the J-1S. :-\ Also, there are no limits on the number of J-1s you can have. However, there is a time limit. You can spend no longer than 18 months in total on J-1 visas in your lifetime. And Andy is right. J-1s appear to be universal i.e. the same rules apply to all.

Emily, it makes it easier for you to get a green card. So long as you do it before you turn 21. You would also be eligible for the diversity lottery (as I understand it) even though Canadians are generally ineligible. I'm def. no expert, but I would suggest looking into it now (assuming you are under 21) as it would become far more difficult when you are no longer legally considered dependant on your mother.

Ona x

19. Emily

Emily New Member

20. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

my sister was born in america, and from what i have found out, i can get a proper visa, i even downloaded all the forms off the embassy's website to fill in. Im sure the same thing applies if its your mother who is americam.