Career with Disney

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by DisneyGibbs, May 4, 2006.

1. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I've been researching my whole life. Disney is my only career path, and the United States is the only place I want to live.
    It takes patience, and yeah it's not easy, but it's not impossible.
    Here we are all telling each other it's impossible to work for Disney forever.
    Nothing is impossible, especially at Disney.

2. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Takes an awful lot of Pixie Dust though :(

3. ThatGuyMatt

ThatGuyMatt New Member

WHOA WHOA WHOOOOAA.

Wait a minute. Couldn't be bothered to sift through the other pages to see if this has been answered but i want to move back to the states to pursue my acting career so i couldn't get a work visa if i wanted to go back I'd have to get what?

4. angeljenn3

angeljenn3 New Member

You are able to go back to the US if you have the appropriate visa.

NicolaB is talking about going to work at Disney permanently. They won't give you a visa to go for the 1 year program if they think you're going to go over and try to stay in the states (ie: not return at the end of your visa). If you go back to your country at the end of your visa and then apply for a more permanent visa that is a totally different, and acceptable thing. It's just hard to get visa's. You need a company to sponsor you to get a work visa and Disney won't sponsor people to be a full time employee.

5. cowza

cowza New Member

A glimpse of hope...

There are a few international managers at my workplace in Disney World. One from Mexico, one from the UK and one from Jamaica.

If you're determined it can be done to stay here permanently but I get the impression it's enough to stay here 6-12 months for most people.

You stand a much better chance of immigrating to the US if you have a degree though. This is what I've learnt so far.

6. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

But it's really hard to get a visa! The best way is to get married to an american...

7. ThatGuyMatt

ThatGuyMatt New Member

What was the visa someone was talking about earlier in the topic that Actors can go over on and stay for years on end?

8. Yes there is hope indeed. A guy from my university was able to get a permanent Visa for the USA a couple of years back and he is now one of the top Disney managers. Maybe I should try and get in contact with him before I head out ;)

9. cowza

cowza New Member

I wouldn't say it's especially hard... it's just a lengthy process and you need to do your research. You can't just think in your head 'I want to work in America'. You need to know exactly why and where you want to live in America and what you can contribute to society. You need a career plan.

If you're hoping to come here on a cultural programme, get a visa and stay... then yes... that's hard... and near enough impossible. It's pretty much like applying to become a citizen of a country as a cashier. What would be the point? America has enough citizens to take cashier jobs. If you do any research on green cards in america whatsoever you'll notice they like applicants with 'skills'. This is why you have a better chance with a good education.

10. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Yes certainly
    researching into it greatly because there are so many easier ways to get into America, well to get a visa. One which i found out is that if you have relatives thats live in the USA that would be willing to take full responisbility of you in the country it is easier for you to get a job and become resident. But obviously the most easiest is gettin married.
    I studied America this year at school and we didnt study visas much but i did learn is that if say you were going to apply for a job as a manager at Disney and you had brilliant experience and skills to do the job then you are going to contribute greatly to the economy of the USA and that is what they look for when you apply for a visa to live or work in the USA.
    I myself am wanting to live and work in the USA when im older and going to Disney for the summer for the ICP program i think when help in my Dream of living in America and become a resident. I hope this has helped, i found this post very interested and wanted to give my view and i hope its helped.

11. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Yeah, a friend of mine was offered a position as a manager when she finished her program. Too bad she didn't accept.

12. leomgray

leomgray New Member

ye but it would be a bit unexpected, you couldnt reallly get everything sorted in a short time. I would love to be offered a management job at Disney, it would be amazing.

13. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

Tink..
    Hvem var'e som blei offered manager jobb?

14. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

I wouldn't know what to do if I was offered a job! I'd accept it at once but thinking about it... probably wouldn't be the best course of action... Mental, I don't know, it's like the dream scenario isn't it but then again what might it stop you doing otherwise.

I wonder if could say 'call me in 3 years'!

15. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Nina i riden...

16. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

As far as i know.. it's vertially impossible to have a career with Disney if you're an international. Marriage is basically the only way.. or.. there's a visa out there called the F-1. It's there for internationals that are going to school in the US and they can work a job that's similar to their studies. So if you're going to sschool for hospitality, then you can get a job with Disney. Now it costs a lot of money, i'm sure you have to have pretty decent grades, and i heard you need at least $10,000 in your account for them to even consider you. Me personally, i'm hoping when i go back i'll find an american boy. It's the plan. Also for Canadians (which i am) i think if you get a family member who's american to sponsor you, then you can gain residence. I have a few, but i'm not that close with them, so i'd feel akward asking them to sponsor me.

17. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

American boys are over rated... Thought I found my 'prince charming' but not the case... I think actually I was just charmed by him because he was in the British Invasion.....

18. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Awwe.. i'm sorry to hear that Chari21.. they can do that.. from any nation. I had my few shares of them on program, but never as cool as British Invasion. Unfortunately, they're are only ticket to a career there.

19. slider655

slider655 Member

Stick with the UK boys!

20. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

I dunno, there were plenty of pimp daddies who are UK too!