Did any of you 'go home' for a visit?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by SarahJane, Jun 7, 2005.

1. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

On your contract with WDW, did any of you return to your home country for a visit?

I did...for 6 days (back to back).

Anyone else?

2. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I went home two weeks after being there cause my Great Aunt got very sick...but I also went home for a week at the end of January. I had the days booked off to do something else, but nobody else could get any time off, so I decided to surprise my family!!! I didn't really have to go home because my family was there almost every two months!!! We have friends in Tampa and my Dad and his boys have their annual golf trip in Florida...yeah for being from Toronto...only a 22 hour drive!

Shan

3. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

I went home to the UK for 4 days for a funeral but that was it

4. gry

gry New Member

I went home for 6days in December. Someone picked my shifts up!
    I only had 3months left but I'm so glad I got time to go home and see my family and friends.

If something happens at home, the managers are helpful and let you have time of and stuff (most of the time anyway!!)

5. *Laura*

*Laura* New Member

yeh i actually came home to the uk on 2 different occasions...

the first time was four months into my contract wen i was a little homesick, i came back for a week and it actually cured it and i came back out to florida feeling refreshed!!

the second time was in june wen my grandad passed away, i came home for a week for the funeral.... pretty tough week but all you guys who helped me thru were amazing and im eternally grateful!! that was a year ago yesterday (man time goes by so quickly)

it was definately well worth doing, and i know a couple other people from the uk came back home during their time there for various reasons.... and of course there was always huge shopping list being sent with the person for stuff that could not be obtained in the states!! lol

loobie
    xxxxx

6. Grouchy87

Grouchy87 New Member

hey,

did it work out expensive to come home for a week so soon after going out? I wanna try n come home but am worried bout the cost!

Bry

7. vanoucanada

vanoucanada New Member

hello, I want to come back home..
    but how often do you think it's possible
    are they giving us little vacation sometime or like 2-3 days of days off ??

8. gry

gry New Member

You have 2 days of every week, then you can apply for a back to back, which meens you have the two last days of the first week off, and the two first days of the next week off (friday,saturday, sunday, monday)
    Then you can also use your personal days, think you have 2 or 3 every 4-month.
    And you can apply for ADO's (additional days off)

And after working for the company for 9months you get vacation time too. That's 9 days or something (payed)

So you can get many days off, if you're lucky.
    Don't even think about applying for time off during holidays and stuff.
    But during slow periods they are begging ppl to go home...

9. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

serriøst gry, do we get 9 days off after 9 months of work, payed, ?? wow, that's cool...thought we had to work a year to get vacation days like that, like most other jobs in the US....

and, what is reckoned slow periods exactly...???

10. vanoucanada

vanoucanada New Member

very nice, because i have a boyfirend in canada !
    and he was a liitle bit afraid i could not go visit
    or i.m could not come and visist with me working a lot !!

11. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Slow periods are basically the fall (Sept...Oct...Nov...early December after American Thanksgiving) and Spring (May...June), except when holidays fall. The summer and Christmas are the busiest. Don't waste your time going home!!! There are so many things to do in Florida and places to go, you spend your whole life at home. I only went because I had the time booked and nobody else could get the time and the cruise didn't come up then either. I had not intended to come home during my year.

As for the boyfriend back home...have him come down! He's only in Canada. It'll help him to see everything so you can talk about where you live and what you do and the people you meet. Don't spend the money to go home...buy him a ticket to come down instead!!!!!

Just my thoughts...
    Shan

12. Diana

Diana New Member

I went home 2 times. The first time I was so homesick. I went as a surprise for my dad for his birthday. I also got to see my uncle (dad's twin) who flew over from England. I hadn't seen him in 22 years! The other time was for my cousins wedding. I was doing a reading in the ceremony, so I kinda had to be there :) I found that once I was home, I wanted to go back. Florida was my home.

After your 9 months, you get 4 or 5 days off. It goes by the number of hours you work.

Do trips! I never got to go on the Disney Cruise :( I recommend doing that. It's really really cheap. I just ran out of time. There are also lots of "all inclusive" places you can go. Cuba... Jamaica... Bahamas...

Just have fun!

Diana

13. gry

gry New Member

Yeah, go other places instead of home if you can!
    In my case it got to much and I really had to go home.
    But now I kinda wish I spent my money and went to somepace else.
    It was worth every penny thou!!!
    Don't plan on it, just let things happen down there.

14. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

When I was home, I spent the whole time wishing I was back in Florida too. I never got to do the cruise either...it never came up when I was off. Don't try to go to Cuba from the US...you can't fly there from inside the US and can get into trouble when you come back into the US if you flew through Canada for example.

Shan

15. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

In attractions we worked 10 hour shifts, so we had 3 days off a week. So if you get a back-to-back, that'd be 6 days off in a row! If you requested ADO or vacation time, then it'd be even longer!

16. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Yeah...if you had personal days, you could get like 9 days off...but you have to book as far in advance as possible!! So, I'd just randomly pick days every month and book them off...that's how I missed the cruise because the days I had off never came up!

Shan

17. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

My mom's getting married on the 21st June 2006 in Mexico and wants me to be bridesmaid, but I'm concerned because it's so close to the Independance Day holiday, will it be a problem do you think?

18. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

it mite not be - i would say as long as u gave them like months notice they should be fine with it? they cant hav everyone workin all at the same time so im sure someone would pick up urs shifts or somethin for u ;D

19. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

No, you should be okay. It's pretty quite in June. You have to book days off waaaaay in advance...way more than a month. This is gonna sound dumb...but do it as soon as possible after you get there. I remember when I was there that there was a date that you couldn't book anything until after...something like you couldn't book days from January - June until after December because of the union or something odd like that. Not sure when you go, but you'll probably have decent seniority by then, so you'll probably be okay. Just ask when you get there how far out you can book it. It's not as easy as having someone pick up your shifts becauase you can't do anything that will cause ANY overtime.

shan

20. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

where does all of the overtime come from then? ;D