Disneyland Paris

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Disney Girl, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Disney Girl

Disney Girl New Member

I was wondering if there were any Disneyland Paris alumni out there. What did you think of working in France. I worked in Orlando and have debated working in Paris. I would probably not be doing it until next year when I have (finally) finished University. I would appreciate any info. or adivce that you have to offer.
    Elissa

2. Quark

Quark New Member

I have worked in Paris in 2002 (just for a month) and have returned from the WDWIP in September. I had my interview for Paris at the beginning of October and am almost certainly going to go back to DLRP on November, 22nd. I know some people who're also trying to continue in Disneyland Paris. In terms of work, I liked Disneyland Paris better - might be because it was only for such a short period of time. But still, I thought the European managers were much more relaxed and less strict than the ones in the US - they all make the same mistakes, but the Europeans admitted it. A trait that I really missed in the US, where everybody thought he was perfect.
    Since you seem to be back for quite some time, I'm not sure if it's the right thing for you. I for one can't stand the idea of getting back into my normal life, I miss fireworks and magic too much. But if you're at university and like what you're doing, why do you want to go to Paris? Is it just for a summer job, another year off or for real work? I doubt you need a university degree for it, so you might be better off somewhere else. Just a thought. I know there are quite a few Canadians in Paris, so there ought to be some kind of program...

3. Lonja

Lonja New Member

talk to ZPS, hes the expert ;D he worked there for many years!
    lonja

4. jojo

jojo New Member

Hey Elissa,

Long time no speak huh?

Anyway, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Jessica (she worked in Merch with me and left around the same time that I did) worked in DLRP after her contract in Florida. Emily (also a Merchie) worked in DLP BEFORE going to Orlando, and my German roomate also spent some time in Paris after her contract in Florida. They all enjoyed their experiences in France, but say that it's VERY different than in Orlando. If you don't have any of their email addresses to contact them personally, send me an email and I can give you their addy's.

Good luck!

Jodi
    jodisalem@hotmail.com

5. Rudy

Rudy New Member

hey,

i worked in DLP AFTER Florida and i hated it!
    i coldn't believe disney actually owned the park, it was awful compared to WDW. my problem was i compared everything and WDW always came off better. it was a lot more relaxed in DLP which meant there were no standards at all, and generally the cast members were rude to everyone.
    i worked there winter time but i've heard good things from people who worked the summer months, more international people and the sun shines! when i was there it rained eveyday and barely anyone visited the parks.

that's just my opinion, though.
    in a way i wish i'd gone there first, then it would only have got better!

;D

6. Ze Perfect Strange

Ze Perfect Strange New Member

Well my point of view(if you wanna know) is that concerning work and management, DLRP is way better than WDW!!!!! but then concerning the way of life if you expect something even close to WDW you might be really dissapointed!! true that during summer it s better with the party and everybody s here just to get fucked up and all, during winter it s kinda different , but again it really depend if you wanna come for the work or for the way of life!
    i ve worked there before going to wdw and after and i think that was good, coz if you go to DLP after WDW and you want the same kinda way of liofe you re gonna be very sad.....
    the apt are really small and no pool or tennis court or mickey s retreat kinda stuff
    and if you re canadians there are programs that are running and it s for a year or two but coz of your visa cant go longer....
    if there s any thing else i can help you with...let me know ;)
    ZPS :p

7. laurie

laurie New Member

i've worked in Epcot, and I might apply for Disney paris next year !!!
    i'll see

8. Chris

Chris New Member

what jobs are available at disneyland paris? I've applied for casting and parades for next summer.

9. flavour

flavour New Member

and how well do you have to speak french? heard it doesn't have to be THAT good...

10. Rudy

Rudy New Member

everything is available.
    when i arrived everyone thought automatically that i was in the parade because i was english. most brits do the parade and most don't speak any french. there's also, waitressing, bar, merchandise, reception (v good french!!), some people worked in the call centre too.

;D

11. Quark

Quark New Member

In my experience speaking French is essential, because all of the normal life is in French. Most of the Disney stuff too, which quite shocked me. I got into it quite well, but if I hadn't had some previous education I would have had a hard time. I still think that you can just start there with little knowledge of French and learn on the way, but in Merchandise it was quite hard. And I know it's going to be almost as hard now, the second time around. Just imagine WDW with EVERYTHING in French and think about how you would have coped. I have the problem of always trying to be too perfect with my languages. In English, it's not difficult for Germans. In French, it's next to impossible just to be good in a sensible amount of time. So if you're the kind of person to just speak no matter what, you'll probably have a much easier time than I had and will have.

Anyway, there's almost every job available. The most frequent ones are of course Merch, Attractions and Food (they're really really looking for cooks and servers with Epcot experience, but nobody wants to do it because of missing tips). Then there's stuff like bell service, banquetting and custodial roles (some info role with a sweeper in the hand sounded interesting :)). And of course receptionist - there was already a long waiting list when I applied both times, and I am under the impression that those spots either get filled up quickly or are somehow "preassigned internally" - in other words already given away before they even hold the interviews. I wouldn't get my hopes up for it. I am going to participate in a program called HAT, which takes 15 months and gets you through food, merch AND attractions, resulting in some French degree. Then you can specialize and sometime in the future you're a manager :)

By the way, they fully credited the seniority I gained at WDW, so I get christmas pay and pay increases a full year earlier. But only when you start at DLRP within a year. Something to consider.

12. Ze Perfect Strange

Ze Perfect Strange New Member

QUARK NO WAY!!!you dont wanna do HAT program!!
    well it depend if you really dont know what to do ok it s one way to get busy but not the best way to becom e a manager believe me!!
    and in all Disneyland paris there is no manager with a hat programme for the moment..
    i was a HAT trainer while in disney paris, and the bad thing is that you stay just long enough to really feel part of the team and clash they transfer you and you have to do everything again, aznde sonce you re only there for half a year they will give you all the crappy job, mostly in food, merch is always ok ;D.
    by the way where did you work in merch? are you still wotrking there?
    i m now working in the Mövenpick hotel as a receptionnist coz i needed a break from disney...and all the hotel here are looking for receptionnist so if you really wanna do that .....just apply here ;)
    alright and dont forget when you work in disney the important dates are Tuesday night and friday night!! once you re here you ll know why
    ZPS :p

13. Quark

Quark New Member

Don't tell me something like that just a week before I leave ;)

Actually I want to continue working for Disney - being a manager or no manager. They also told me that you can do a specialized HAT program afterwards and become a Team leader, so there ought to be a way. I don't mind being transferred and stuff like that. But as a HAT trainer you certainly know far more than me, what would your suggestion be to get a "a foot in the door"? We'll see what comes out of it, but I'm just not ready to leave all that Disney stuff behind, it has become part of my life. Working at Epcot didn't suck nearly enough to cure me, even though I saw the bad side of Disney.

I worked at the Emporium in 2002, but just for a month. I don't work there anymore obviously, but finished my IP until September.

14. toll boy

toll boy Guest

hi guys what´s up ;D
    i was working in disneyland paris in 2002 at the NewPort Bay Club and then i went to WDW in florida to work at EPCOT center, i can tell you one thing , nothing is bigger and better athmospher as in Florida, the only one thing in paris is that they are not that strict with the cast members but in Florida is The Sunshine State u know what i´m saying 8)
    my name is Mehdi and i´m moroccanfor who knows me i´m living now in germany, i needsome news from my old friends there ;)

15. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

A former colleague of mine (here in Canada) used to work in Paris, and we swaped stories, comparing my WDW experience versus his DLP experience.....and they were VERY different!!! It was crazier, less structured...less "Disney" and less "magical" than WDW or DL.

If at ALL possible (prob not), I'd visit the park and see if it's for you...if you like what you see and experience, then by all means apply. But be prepared for a totally different life.

16. christybredahl

christybredahl New Member

Hey everyone...
    I worked at DLP in attractions in 1998 on the old Work Experience Program. I have to say that I had a blast and I loved it. It is very different from WDW, where I worked in 1997 on the College Program. But, if you just take those differences and run with it, you will have a great time. I didn't speak much French when I arrived, but within a month or so, I wasn't necessarily fluent, but I could make it on my own and help guests out. If you don't speak French, it was hard because out of 5 managers, only 2 spoke English. Luckily I became friends with my managers and when I really needed help (with payroll, for example), they helped me out and translated. The guests can be worse (they don't like to stand in queues) and the park isn't half as clean as WDW (even tho' I think WDW gets worse every time I go), but overall it is okay and the park itself is very nice. The living conditions are fine, certainly not The Commons, or even Vista Way, but they are a nice size and fine for how much you hang out there. The parties were fun, but there aren't any organized activities or anything like that. Since I left there is now an amazing mall,but we had to go towards Paris to go to a big grocery store or get clothes and stuff. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I am a spoiled American with a car, tv's in every room, and internet access 24/7, I loved it there and you just have to take the good with the bad!:)