Hours/Wages

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Stacie, May 22, 2006.

1. Stacie

Stacie New Member

I was just curious on average how many hours can someone working in food and bev during the summer in one of the parks get?... How much money do ppl generally make in a week?. And also how much did you usually pay for food and other expenses?

Any feedback would be great!, Thanks!!

2. Jorden

Jorden New Member

This is just from what I've gathered from reading posts on here and otherwise has no factual background (ie expect more accurate answers soon).

I heard anywhere from 35-60 hours depending on how busy the parks are (althought that was a different program I think)... speaking of which what program are you on becuase I'm pretty sure that makes a difference as well (since you can get overtime and such easier on some programs).

Generally per week after rent is deducted you should have at least 150-200 dollars US more if you work more hours.

Food/other expenses is what you make of it I found at University I'd need to go grocery shopping once or twice a month and usually spent around 100 Canadian on each trip, and I wasn't buying cheaper brands or anything.

I'd say probably don't plan on having much more than $400 extra each month to be safe, yet there's a good chance (with smart spending and more accurate info) you'll have more money.

3. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

you'll probably average around 35-45 hours, although if you want and are able to depending on your visa, you can pick up as many hours as you like! There is an extra-hours hotline where you can grab extra shifts. Holiday weeks you can expect a lot more hours too!!!! July 4th will be fun!!!!

I haven't gotten my first paycheck yet, but around $150-$200 sounds about right, unless you are in a tipped position and you'll be rolling in cash. If you work a lot of hours though, you'll have a bigger paycheck since a lot of those will be overtime.

You might find it hard to not spend so much on food since you may find yourself eating out a lot. You can bring stuff to work to eat, but sometimes its not the most convenient. In general though, most things are pretty good in terms of prices so you'll definitely be able to survive and have some cash to spend as well. In terms of saving up... that may be different...

4. doowop

doowop New Member

Do we think saving is going to be difficult? glad that theres like a line to call for extra hours!! would you be able to call that on the yr long?

5. Jorden

Jorden New Member

I'm pretty sure you can, but I'm also pretty sure I read on here that extra hours are much tougher to come by for the year long since you can only work in your pavilion, and pretty much everyone else can work anywhere.

6. Dannii

Dannii New Member

There is always the chance to do extra hours. I know that many merchies did work somewhere else, especially the days before christmas. I have never heard of any servers doing extra hours, though ;D except on there working place....

I (Merchie) was able to save up some money :D

Dani :D

7. Linda-bo-binda

Linda-bo-binda New Member

Extra hours really depend on your visa type. For IPers, the Q-1 (Cultural Rep) visa doesn't let you work anywhere outside your pavilion. The only way Disney gets away with sometimes using IPers for random jobs like crowd control is by keeping us in our country's costume so we are still "representing our culture." So, the Extra Hours Hotline really isn't that useful on a Q-1. However, the ICP uses a J-1 (student) visa I believe which doesn't restrict you. On a J-1 you can pick up hours anywhere around WDW as long as you're trained for that line of business. If I'd had a J-1 I would have made a point of working a shift in all 4 parks!

~*~Linda~*~

8. Canadian Classic

Canadian Classic New Member

I sometimes would have liked to been able to pick up some extra hours as being a Merchie and Attractions Cast Member, I found it difficult to save A LOT of money. But I wouldn't have changed doing those two jobs for the world! Plus I think it's easier to get more time off in Merch and Attractions if you want to go somewhere. You get way more guest interaction in that job then you do in F&B. But in F&B you get tips. So I think there are more pros and cons to both jobs. It all depends on what you think you would enjoy more.

9. Aussie

Aussie New Member

It depends how long you are going for and how much fun you want to have.
    I found that it was pretty difficult to save, and still go out, see the sights etc...

But if you have some savings already and are going for a while you should be able to see what you want to see and have a ball while you're there.

The hours are incredibly variable. Sometimes it is exactly 30 hour shifts and then its 6 days and 60hrs.. over Christmas and when programs end especially. I was in merchandise though, so it was a bit different, my friend who was a seater/greeter had more stable hours.. Although yet again that is not always the case.

Oh and if you 'call in' for 2 days (maximises time whilst minimising points), that cuts your pay too, obviously. But it's worth it.

Enjoy it.

10. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback!! :)

11. Tom19

Tom19 New Member

Yeah I dont expect to go home with any money....but I'm there for less than 3 months. Just going to have fun :)

12. orlando

orlando New Member

Anyone know what the wages are for the various positions offered on DCL? How much does Cruise Staff make? I posted in that forum but got no response so Im giving a shot in this thread...

13. rich

rich New Member

Hey, does somebody know how much u can get working F&B at a tipped position ??

14. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I think it varies depending on location, but I've heard that cast members working at Le Cellier can make up to $200-$300 a night!

15. charlyboy

charlyboy New Member

it depends @ mexican pavillion you make an average of 100-150 in one shift if you double you make more than $200
    Hope it helps
    Carlos

16. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

OK whilst we are on the subject...........for a Q-1 person at Le Cellier for example........what are we talking for shifts?? 11-7pm?? ANYONE?

Matt........do we have some connections for some info??
    Inquiring minds NEED to know here!!

THANKS ever so much!! ;D