How's the transit system?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Matt1133, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Anyone know how easy renting cars is in Florida? In Alberta, they seem to be a bit picky and you have to be at least 21 to have even the slightest chance to rent a car and you have to be at least 25 to have a decent chance.

2. KC

KC New Member

I think you need to be 21. Though I'd check with the individual car hire companies first.

KC

3. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I'm sure I recall an American younger than that hiring, but equally that rule sounds right. Which makes me wonder whether you'd be able to hire a car under 21 if you took an Florida state driving test. I have no idea if any of this is right, but may be worth looking into if you really want/need to hire a car and are under 21...

4. brodie1

brodie1 Guest

5. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I know for a fact that you can rent cars even when you are under 21. It will just be a lot more expensive. Just like under 21 will be a lot more expensive than 25. I just turned 25 this year and finally you get some ok deals. BUT you should ask people in the Commons they usually know of places where you can get discounts. I remember we always went to one where it was cheaper, but I don't remember the place, I think it was somewhere by Downtown Disney. Other than that just team up with people over 21 and they can rent the car ( that's what we did a lot ). You will find ways to get around and see Florida, don't worry.
    Julia

6. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

That sounds good, I was contemplating driving my sweet '91 Toyota Camry down, but I don't think she'd make it... :(

7. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hey there,

friends of mine (under 21) did rent cars always @ avis at the hilton/downtown disney. most of the rental stations do pick u up at the commons - they should have a list of rental stations at the club house. as a disney cm u do also get "special discounts".

I always rented a car through a german travel website. That was cheaper and the insurance was already included.

Dani

btw: don't forget to bring a credit card with u, I think someone mentioned it before on this site!!

8. Sabrina1981

Sabrina1981 New Member

i read that the debit card we get when we open our account would be enough in florida when u rent at avis. in other states like NY its different though

9. Dannii

Dannii New Member

yep, but what do u do if u have to rent a car from another rental station?

I remember that we couldn't rent a car anywhere except @ Hertz and there we needed a credit card.

10. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Yeah, most places require you to have a credit card. Even if it is one from your home country as long as it is valid! You don't have to put the car payment on it, you can pay in cash at the end if you want. They just need it for the deposit. Check with your credit card company before you leave home because a lot of them include insurance on rental cars in your contract. My card did. I just reserved the car on my credit card and listed that as my method of payment, so I was covered if anything happened. I didn't really even have to leave the charges on my card, I'd pay cash at the end because I knew that nothing had happened that I'd need the insurance to cover. Insurance on rentals can be expensive and isn't required, but is NECESSARY for driving down there. Don't even consider not getting it. If you credit card doesn't offer insurance, see if you can upgrade it, even if it costs a small fee, you may save depending on how many times you rent. Your own car insurance policy at home may cover you as well. Check it.

There are a few places that will rent to you if you are under 21. Some places the advertised over 21, but if you were over 18 and a cast member, you were okay. Call the location directly because the call centres don't always know.

Shannon

11. Ona

Ona Member

Avis, avis, avis. :D 18+ no worries (I'm 25 now! No more underage charges woo hoo just realised! :D) sabrina you are right. Avis will rent to IPs with their vista checking card but that is RARE. I actually think they are the only folks who do that .... and they didn't always.

And if you need insurance (great tip Shan btw ;) ) just get ALI and CDW(or LDW). You don't need anything else.

Folks are soooo right. It's the USA folks. The land of plastic. Your life will be so much easier with a credit card.

Ona x

12. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Yeah, make sure you bring a credit card not only for renting a car...booking flights, hotels ( and then at the hotels ) and a lot of things online you will need your cc. A debit card doesn't always work, because you have to put in the security code a lot now and that only comes with a cc. Also renting a car will be so much easier, only a few rental companies take cash as a security, most will require a cc. I don't have a cc here ( suntrust is just stupid but that's another story ) and I have to call my dad every now and then if I can't book something and then he takes it out of my home account.

Julia

13. Sabrina1981

Sabrina1981 New Member

I dont see any chance that i will get a credit card in germany. :'( guess i will have to depend on the mercy of my fellow cast members and give them money cash to book flights and use their credit cards.

14. Sabrina1981

Sabrina1981 New Member

just read the last part of your post. my mother wont give me her credit card ( what a surprise ::)) but if i wanna book a flight i could ask at home if they book it and take the money out of my home account...
    and for the rest you survive without a CC.
    good thing is the credit card thing is my only problem for now :)

15. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Yeah, I agree, you definitely survive without one. I am sure you can make it work out with your parents.
    Julia