HRC

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by soleil plage, Jul 13, 2005.

1. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

Hola everyone

I read on another board that someone got accepted to work in HRC in the UK pavilion - is this a separate position in its own right?
    You only get to work in HRC and don't get to move around the other merch areas in the UK pavilion??

I hope some of you more recent Alumni could shed some light on that for me :)

ta :)

2. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

That's right Claire as far as I know. I was in touch with Bev from HRC for a while looking at the possibility of going out there on a J-1 visa through Bunac for 18 months but it now looks like they are taking people through Yummy Jobs on a Q-1 visa and they stay at the Commons but only work in HRC and nowhere else in the UK Pavilion!

Just got back from Florida at the weekend! Had a fab time with Daniel, visited the parks once and had a look round the old UK Pavilion! They had loads of stock in Queens and Tea...........strange???? And of course had the mandatory visit to Jellyrolls too...........that place never changes!!!!

Laura. xxx
    ;D
    (By the way are you going to Andrea's wedding? I don't think I can make it! Too far and too expensive for flights and/or train!!!) :-[

3. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

I think HRC people also work merch sometimes as well. Lauras right about Yummy recruiting, and the visa.
    Charlotte x

4. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Hello...I work in HRC at the moment and altho the hiring is done thru Yummy/Disney, they are a completely separate company....

we have to abide by Disney rules for the most part, but we have our own managers who do their own thing with regards to break times, training, pay cheques, rent deduction sorting out-ness.

You have a LOT more to learn in HRC compared to general merchandise, but it's a lot of fun...the only down side is that we don't get to do Disney stuff like Pin trading and Magical Moments (or whatever they are!). The managers are SO good to us, and we're only a small lot of people so it's tight knit which is good....plus we have the added benefit that we do still get to know all the other merchies...

we don't ever do anything outside our own shop...we're in there all day....but the British Invasion play directly opposite which is the highlight of my day!! :D

I'm loving it so far...we're always much more busy than the other shops which makes the time pass pretty quickly and there's more jobs to do than in normal merch....like making up frames, wrapping frames, taking orders, making keychains (which I love doing!! haha!!)

IT's all good! :D

Ellen x x x x

5. Dan

Dan New Member

I just finished there in March and I got on really well with the guys in HRC ;D. I wouldn't have minded having a stint in there at some point! I find it all quite interesting, with the history and the meaning of the first/last names and so forth.

You always seemed to be so busy in there too, even in low season when we were quiet!

Ellen - Say hello to Sharon for me! She'll know who I am (I spent several months winding her up, hehe)

Dan

6. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Will do Dan!!

The busy-ness seems to come in spurts....we'll be really quiet and then all of a sudden 10 families will want to buy something at the same time!! it's a bit mad!! and, even tho I shouldn't really say this, I can't understand why they find it so fascinating....it is interesting to learn about where you last name came from, but i can't get my head around why people want to spend so much money on it all!!! bizarre!!! but all good fun...I love talking to the people, especially when they ask me about back home!! :D

Ellen x x x x

7. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

just out of interest Ellen and i know this is a very personal question so please dont answer if u dont wish to but do u get the same pay as merchies?

8. Dan

Dan New Member

Ellen - Good point about the guests. I liked to talk about back home too (although at first it was difficult to explain where I was from) but it was enjoyable. Certainly made the day go quicker.

Likewise, I wouldn't spend "x" 100's of dollars on a crest or anything like that, maybe $6-7 on a keyring with a name on! LOL

Dan

9. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Coat of arms keychains are $7.50 and First name key chains are $8.50!!! that's the cheapest thing we do!!

Jess, I get $7 p/hour, plus 1/2 extra each shift for 'travelling' to and from work.....it's pretty good...I get slightly more than everyone else and have the potential for a pay rise after a certain amount of time!!

Ellen x x x

10. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Thats good then, I'm liking the sound of it more and more!

11. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

HRC is good....I won't lie, it is tough getting to know all the prices and types of frames and how to wrap and how to frame and what forms are for what....but it's good fun. Our managers are the best, just doing little things for us, like bringing in cakes and stuff to say thanks for working hard, and Bev (the boss!) is so lovely....kinda like having your mum there (in a totally non-weird way!)

Sometimes it does drag that you're in the same shop all day, but so many people take a genuine interest in what you do and where you're from....the guests are so lovely!! :D

Jess, definitely consider going for it at your interview.....I'm having a great time!! and if you make it out there before I finish, which I hope you do, then I'll look after you!! :D

Ellen x x x :D

12. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Aw thanks Ellen, i think i will definitely mention it IF i do get an interview! :D

13. Jjsweet1402

Jjsweet1402 New Member

glad to here ur having a great time ellen

jess its not a question of IF its a question of when as we no ur'll get it if u don't disney are mad!!!

ellen a quick question if u wanna go for HRC do u have to apply spacificaly for it of do u go through the same process as the normal IP programmes and just mention it in your interview?

14. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

You go thru the same process, they'll just ask you if you're interested in it at your interview...more so if you show an interest in wanting to do Merch as it is a Merch based job!!

Today was fabulous.....Bev bought us Fish and chips from Harry Ramsdens, and a HUGE cake for Annie's birthday (who also works in HRC!) and Harry Potter is being sold there so we've had loads of fans in buying the book...i had a fab day today!! :D

Ellen x x x :D

15. Jjsweet1402

Jjsweet1402 New Member

ok thanks for filling me in!!

glad u had a brill day, all i did was go shopping lol and now babysitting

16. Gareth

Gareth New Member

hey Ellen,

who works in HRC now?

Gareth

17. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Me, Annie, Glen, Claire...then the managers Sharon and Mariann...and Bev makes an appearance now and then! :D

Ellen x x x x

18. disneydreamer

disneydreamer New Member

ok im probably asking a stupid question but whats the differences between HRC and just merch? and y doesn't it count as merch?

19. Dan

Dan New Member

HRC are a participant company. there are several in and around the Disney resort, mainly in Epcot.

The companies work in collaboration with Disney, but sell their own product, have their own management and staff etc etc.

The Japan and Morocco pavilions are virtually 100% participant, but Disney help them, in exchange for the product.

That's it in a nutshell.

Dan

20. disneydreamer

disneydreamer New Member

thanks for that... so does that mean that not everybody in HRC is a program participant?