MEdical From Disney???

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by kekepuana, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kekepuana

kekepuana New Member

Hey everyone... just a few questions???

How is the Medical after the first 4 months, Eric told us we need to have 4 months of
    medical insurance and then Disney will provide it for us after that. How good is the Medical?
    Anyone have a bad experience while down there?

I'm Just alittle nervous, ive heard bad stories about USA medical, Should i maybe get a years worth of
    travel insurance just in case/or am i being parinoid???

- Steph/Canada/June 12th

2. islander

islander New Member

what did you find about the medical.....insurance

3. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

Sounds like my situation.
    I'm in the exact same boat and I'm scared to death.
    You'd think with ALL of the people that have done this program somebody from Canada would have a piece of advice.

4. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I'm only there for 3 months, so I had to provide all my own, but check out Blue Cross

5. Mom-eh

Mom-eh Member

My son is working at WDW right now for the second time. We're from Alberta and both times before he left he bought full insurance here for the total amount of time he would be gone. He looked at several packages and went with one from a local Insurance Agent because it was cheaper. Another decent one was with AMA but a bit more expensive. When looking at the Disney insurance it seemed as if it was about the same price on a weekly basis or a bit more. I can not remember what they offer for insurance or what the price was. The problem is you don't have a lot of extra cash while working there unless you are in a full tipped position. My son did not want the added cost coming off of his paycheques at WDW. He made sure he got insurance that has no deductable and pays up front if he has to see a Dr. while working down there. He also made sure the package is not cancelled if he returns to Canada for a visit or other reasons and then goes back to Florida. If he extends his program he can also extend his insurance easily. He has to keep his Alberta Health Care Insurance paid up the whole time he is gone in order to have this particular policy, even though he is not using it. Hope this helps when it comes time for you to make some decisions -but we have no experience with the Disney insurance.

6. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

Thank you so much for your advice!
    I've been looking around and trying to find good health insurance and to be honest I'm thinking I may pay out for my insurance here like your son did.

I'm from Newfoundland and my problem is once I turn 21 i am off my parents insurances because I won't be a dependent. This happens just about a month before I leave so I have to purchase insurance either way. I was looking at one that costs 1.01 a day. Do you remember how much you guys paid for your plan?

I'm sure I'll figure it out but thank you again for your information

7. Mom-eh

Mom-eh Member

Sorry, I can't remember the amount he paid for the whole year any more but the one you found that costs $1.01 a day doesn't sound too bad really. Just make sure you know what you're getting! If you have time get a few quotes from different places and then you'll be able to compare and see which one would be best for you. I'm sure you'll figure it out too, there's so much to think about isn't there? I remember last year SpaLifeGirl (not sure on the spelling) from down east was doing some research on medical if you search her name on these boards you might be able to read back on some of her postings and see what she discovered. She was there for a year but is finished her program already.

8. Mom-eh

Mom-eh Member

Regarding my last comment - I checked the spelling for you - search for, spa_life_girl and read her posts, I'm sure there will be some valuable information there but you might have to do a bit of reading to find the medical info.