Name Badge

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by hannahike, Mar 18, 2006.

1. KC

KC New Member

I probably would have mispronounced it then... *cough*

But that's cos I was basing it on some Irish language pronunciations...

*makes mental note that it's M not V*
    KC

2. JB

JB New Member

Talking of spelling names wrong...guess it`s going to be a problem since we have 3 extra letters in Norwegian. Æ, Ø, Å.  Guess I`m going to be Jane for a long time, not Janne. ;) And my last name is Bjørnbakk..so I`m looking forward to see how their going to spell it... ;D

3. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

I have a few name tags too! I have a few Sarah's and some Sarah Jane's...and some other names too... and some are the regular tags, but when I first went down it was the 25th Anniversary of WDW, so we got special tags for that!

4. KC

KC New Member

Only your first name goes on your nametag, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem, methinks!

But why would putting "Janne" on your nametag be a problem? Should there be one of those norwegian letters in there? ???

KC

5. snow.white87

snow.white87 New Member

My name is spelled Jei because I got tired of people saying, "I know a guy with the same name as you". People have a hardtime pronouncing it and hard time spelling it, but I dont really care if they get the spelling wrong, as long as it's not Jay.

I'm not a boy! :mad:

6. haha does it bother you that I spell it Jay? I just can't break a 10 year habit :(

7. JB

JB New Member

Thought they put both names, my bet. My american roomate actually had a smal problem with pronunciation my name because of the two N.
    And Jei, my name Janne is a girls name in Norway and Denmark, and a boys name in Sweden and Finland so thats kinda fun actualy.

8. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

I probably would have mispronounced it then... *cough*

But that's cos I was basing it on some Irish language pronunciations...

*makes mental note that it's M not V*
    KC
    [/quote]

M, V it doesnt really matter...i answer to both most of the time ;D

I think the worst mispronoucation was when someone called me "Mariah" :-\ but you cant really blame people for getting it wrong cause its not a common name.

I was going to be a Laura but then my dads two cousins both had baby girls and called them each Laura - i prefer my slightly strange and unusual name (no offence to any Laura's).

Mhairi

9. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

None taken!!! ;D

It was my town name that they took around 3 attempts to get right!!! It was easier on the ship they just put your country. Although in saying that at one point there was 3 Brits in merchandise on the Wonder. I had Scotland on my name badge, one guy had England and the other Scottish guy had United Kingdom on his. Boy was that confusing for the Americans!!!! ???

Laura. :eek:

10. KC

KC New Member

While we're on the subject of mispronunciations...

It's "eye-er-land"... not "island"... I'm looking at you, United Kingdommers ;)
    and not "eye-er-lind"... I'm looking at you, North Americans ;)

"Arr-land" is also acceptable *nodnod*

Ire-land. Like the german for eggs... with land after it...

As for getting spellings of home towns wrong, I don't think "Cork" will be much of a problem.

Or rather, I hope Cork wont be much of a problem :-\

*nods*
    KC

11. oh goodness!!! It's all so confusing :p
    I'll just wait till I get on Skype and I can hear YOU say it *nods*

12. monkian

monkian New Member

who pronounces it Island...wierd...well its Scotland not Scotchland
    and although blood content me be about 60 % we are Scots not Scotch!

on the misspelling of names i was figuring i'm less likely to have mine misspelled wrong in Florida as i am here...as it is ANA not ANNA. ANA being the spanish spelling and used widely in south/central america i think the Anna british type is less common

ofcourse i could be wrong...i realy don't want to be Anna....wierd haw you can get so attached to the spelling of a name even if it does not affect the pronunciation.

mind you if people just call me jonesy or jo or jimmy or wee jo i will reply

13. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

yep it bugs me wen people spell my name Gillian too....and that doesnt affect pronounciation

if i say Jilly people automatically spell with a J....if i say Jillian, they spell it with a G...

a guy in Magaluf actually once told me my name was spelt wrong and i was like errm yeh ok coz ur the master of name spelling arent u

14. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Well my name - my real first name - and the name everyone here in Canada, friends and family, all call me "Sarah".

When I got my nametag on my first day, it said "Sarah Jane". I told them that's not my name (Jane IS my middle name), and nobody has ever called me that...and everyone else's name tags just had their first name.

They told me the Canada Pavillion had to many Sarah's already, so they decided to call me Sarah Jane.

Nice...so anyways, now look - I've made it my user name on here and everything!! When it comes to Disney, I am "Sarah Jane".

And on another note, they do get city names wrong...one guy was from Kanata,Ontario, and on his tag, they put "Canada", Ontario. Well, there's no Canada in Ontario...maybe they thought he didn't know how to spell his own city?

15. cigarqueen

cigarqueen New Member

LOL

We used to pretend to have lost our name badges just to see what names we could get out of the drawer. It was weird as the days that you didn't have your real name on, you would get mystery shopped and it'd be really bad. I used to blame it on whoever was in on that day lol.

The ultimate miss spell was on my pals badge. She was from Liverpool, although costuming spelt it "Riverpool". Ithink we created a whole city from this that we used to tell Guests all about, completely fake.
    Oh happy days lol

16. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

iv definitly dipped into the name tag drawer and was Iman for a day....i got the weirdest looks from people that day

17. cartwheel69

cartwheel69 New Member

Ah the great old name tag issue. I was usally still to drunk to remember my name tag on a daily basis, so I had alot of different name tags. I actually got to where my nicknam as my reakl name tag after my three months of working there.

By my three month Ed the Area manager gave me the ok because he forgot my real name one day and saw me with a name tag saying Cartwheel so that was is my new name for the year and that is how everbody called me and they still do. Also had one cardi for short.

Through the year in the Restaurant I went threw 37 name tags but for some reason after My Cartwheel one I keep it and I still have it today and wear it to all the disney party's I go to.

Cartwheel 00/01

18. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

My friends and I swapped nametags a few times. One day I ended up with a french language pin and we decided that was probably not wise, so my friend that spoke french took it and I took hers. Funny day.

Shan