operations alumni

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Nickie Mouse, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Nickie Mouse

Nickie Mouse New Member

hi im doing this for 6 months from july and was just wondering what exactly it involved? i did operations in a theme park in nj last year an i basically operated a small coaster an cleaned it, did safety checks, loaded/unloaded guest an ummmmmmmmmm sunbathed lol but im guessing its a much bigger role at disney so id like to hear ur stories, good or bad!

2. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Depends on where ur placed really. You could be doing parking or working at the front gates. You could be working at shows, attractions, parades, or rides. I worked at Rock'n Rollercoaster last year and I did all operating positions in the ride. I had a friend working at innoventions last year, he did lots of spiels. Ther's a wide breadth of what you coudl end up doing.

3. Trev

Trev New Member

rock 'n' rollercoaster? bah! Only one indoor rollercoaster type ride in the dark worthy of talking about! That's Space of course! You basically work on one or several rides (some times you are trained for one ride, other smaller similar rides you can be trained on several of them).
    Then you basically go round working in one position for about 40 minutes till someone comes, replaces you and you move onto your next position. Depending on the ride you might have the fun of sorting strollers, which is apparently really horrible as guests are clueless as to where to leave them and just shout at you.

I loved working Space, it was honestly the best job I've ever had ever and I'd love to go back there (damn you US government!) Whilst The Cult Rep Program is going to be a complete blast, I just know I won't love it quite as much as I did Space.

4. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Excuse me! Coaster is by far the best ride like ever. It's fast! It's got Aerosmith! Goes upside down! Space while being fun, is old and rickety.

5. Trev

Trev New Member

and it's got heart. That's the most important thing. All coaster has it's that guy that looks like a spider and a station in a grubby car park. Our station is IN SPACE!

6. Nickie Mouse

Nickie Mouse New Member

lol thats awesome thanks guys it sounds just like what i did last year except i was in the same position for like 3 hours lol so 40 mins is gona be easy! not sure about being in a carpark lol but i suppose i get hat im given! people have told me about the aerosmith coaster i cant wait to ride it! id rather work outside an get a tan lol so hopefully i wont get an indoor ride! i know what u mean bout gettin yelled at lol some of the guests can be so dumb we used to get asked about 15 times a day 'how do i get out?' an they were stood next to the exit sign duhhhhh!!! i think id like to work in mgm cus i love all the tv/movie stuff

7. Jorden

Jorden New Member

As a bit of a mediator here, imo (after being to 4/5 Disney parks) Florida's space is the worst in the world so RnRC has to win that small battle.

Mission:Space is BY FAR the better attraction though! So many stupid questions to answer! plus the song from it (if you think about it and twist the meaning a bit) could be representative to an IP!

http://www.disneylandreport.com/epcot_mission_space_destiny_lyrics.html

8. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Coaster has got tons of heart....and a 0-60 in like 2 seconds take off. We win! And a way better theme. I mean rock and roll? Limo's? Awesome Spiel? Recording Studio? Awesome Store? Giant Guitar? Hands down Coaster is better.

Mission Space makes me sick. Litterally. lol.

9. Jorden

Jorden New Member

well at least we can agree on coasters.

Did you try MS Green? It's actually far easier on you than Star Tours is!

10. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Star Tours makes me sick. So does Body Wars. Any motion simulator what so ever. lol. I'll probably try MS again this summer, just cause I have to drag my friend who is gonna visit onto it.

11. Jorden

Jorden New Member

yeah if you're gonna get sick anyway you may want to try green since it probably won't make you as sick as the orange more intense one especially if spinning gets you as well as the simulator...

I only very very rarely saw people get sick on green and when they did it wasn't nearly as bad as it was on the orange side.

12. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Well that's good at least. We'll see what happens. If i, for example, put my card into the fast pass machine at Test track and get a bonus one for Mission Space...I'll go. lol

13. Jorden

Jorden New Member

lol well I guess thats one way to look at it... or just go after 8 PM... lines dead (the later in your program the earlier you can ride with no line).

14. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Here's an example..

Two lads that were on my flight..both were in operations..

One was on the safari's, driving the trucks and doing the speil..

The other (my flatmate) was given parking attendant..Which involved showing people to there parking spaces and speiling on the back of the car park trams..He seemed to enjoy it..But when he described it, it sounded mind numbingly boring..

15. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

Wait? Where did the parking thing come up? lol. I'm lost.

16. Jorden

Jorden New Member

I think he was just explaining some of the possibilites as to what you could wind up doing in Operations since that was the orignial question... we just hijacked it lol.

17. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

yea, i knew someone who worked as park greeter at animal kingdom, one worked coaster at mgm and one worked in the parking lot at magic kingdom. we all arrived on the same day all from the uk.

18. elusivemoose

elusivemoose New Member

By spinning do you mean it's like one of those g-force ball things that literally send you spinning ever which way, upside down as well as round and round?!

19. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

they spin you so fast ur face moves....and it gives me a horrible pressure headache....gross.

There are so so so so many different things you can end up doing at ops. You could work at the parades, or front gate. there's rides and shows and parking. There's also Pleasure Island and Disneyquest. The positions you might end up in are endless.

20. Jorden

Jorden New Member

By spinning I don't mean everyway so you don't know what ways up... I mean just around really fast so you get sucked back and feel G Forces pressing on you.

The best example I have (and I told this to guests) is you know how when you have a bucket of water, and spin around with it how the water will stay in it? You're the water on this ride.

Or if that dosn't appeal to you (and I don't find it as bad as it sounds but understand why it could bug people) there's the no spinning option where you sit and watch the movie and the capsule moves a bit (like tilts left/right forward/backward).

This is a similar ride.

http://events.clowningaround.com/images/Ride Photos/round up major carnival ride.jpg

basically you spin so fast you get pulled backwards (but on Space your sitting down with over the shoulder style roller coaster restraints), as shown here

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/56241main_Mission_SPACE_Cockpit copy.jpg

The only difference really between Space and the ride above, is for the ride above, spinning is the experience. On Mission:SPACE it's a 4 minute ride and I'd say you're not spinning any longer than 45 seconds, 1 minute tops. The spinning is there to enhance the show and the feelings you get on the ride, and really isn't the attraction itself.

For the attraction you and 3 other people have been chosen to train to be the first maned mission to Mars. Each person is given a job with two tasks to do on your simulated flight. If you go on the "More Intense" Orange team, the spinning occours to enhance the experience, basically you feel G Forces at set times.

1. When your rocket launches at the start of the ride.

2. When you do a quick spin around the moon (for like a slingshot effect to shoot at Mars, also the spinning kicks in when you're boosting to make this happen)

3. When you're decending from space to the surface of Mars.

The part the feels the worst is the takeoff, because since you are in a motion simulator you are laying down, and the spinning causes you to feel more pressure near your head (kinda like when you stand on your head for too long and the blood rushes too it). And even then this is maybe a 10-15 second experience which isn't long enough to cause discomfort for most people.

If anyones scared to ride I'll ride it with anyone, I could ride it ALL day and even before I worked there it was my favorite Epcot ride (Test Track was a let down, and while Soarin is good, I find it's WAY over-rated (in the sense that the line isn't worth the ride, and Fastpasses are gone too fast), basically it's too much effort to get on it in a comfortable timeframe). I'm open to either the orange or green expereiences because I enjoy the ride that much that I can ride it either way.

Some people I worked with refused to ride the green version, but I don't see the point in that. Why split your party if someone isn't comfortable.