question about passports

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by whiterabbit, Jan 22, 2013.

1. whiterabbit

whiterabbit New Member

Hey, my passport is good for the duration of my program dates but it expires 5 months after the end date (it's supposed to be valid for 6 months after the program). I just realized this so I'm going to renew my passport but it won't be ready until after the final interview which is in a week. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks

2. Carey

Carey New Member

I'm a tourism student and we just covered documentation last week. I don't know much about your situation because I am just a CRP applicant, hopefully an alum will come by that can give you better advice than this.

I believe the absolute soonest you can renew your passport is ONE YEAR before it expires, otherwise the government won't let you. So it really just depends on what your dates are.
    You may be able to apply for a new passport (that's what you do if your name changes), you just can't renew it until it is a year out.

If you are Canadian I would ask Kristen about it, she should be able to tell you if you need to have it valid before the interview or not. I am assuming that you only need to prove current validity at the time of the interview. I wouldn't worry about your passport being valid 6 months after your return date until you know for sure you are accepted into the program, then as soon as you know you are in and are eligible to renew your passport DO IT.

Good luck!!

3. whiterabbit

whiterabbit New Member

Thanks! I think I'll go renew it after the final interview just to be on the safe side. I'll send Kristen an email too. Thanks again :D