Random...Stupid Guests?!

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Danman, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

To be fair, there's probably a lot of stuff that most of us don't know about other countries. That's the thing about being on the Cultural Representative Program; we're employed to educate.

I must admit, it did get frustraing at times, expalining the UK etc etc and answering the strangest questions.

But I'd say for every "Bad" guest we had, we can probably say we had some good ones too. I remember the families that I spoke to for ages in the shops, and also all the school and library visits I took part in on the Voluntears program. All of that was fun because I got to talk about home, answer questions etc etc. That's what I remember more.

I guess a lot of people are quite naive (whose fault it is I don't know), so it didn't bother me so much. Although when some guests insulted other countries or my own, I didn't like that so much. Like this one time when we closed the shop and this guy started shouting, calling us "f*cking europeans", and I ended up getting a telling off for standing up to him.

I kinda drew the line at those types of comments, but overall, it was quite fun to be honest.

Dan

2. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Of course we are there to educate them...but I draw the line at teaching an American that Canadians speak english.

3. robb2020

robb2020 New Member

Hey Gals and Guys,

Well I am am aboutto turn 4 months old, by July 15th

And, ohhh...... I have got so many of these quuestions!!!

One: (Myself standing in the Mexican Plaza)... Is this Test Track????? .

Oh yeah, dont worry Sir, the cars will start rushing any second now, move away, they might hit you.

Two: Can u wirte my name in mexican????

WE DONT SPEAK MEXICAN, WE SPEAK SPANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three: Is this River Ride (El rio del tiempo) takes u to Canada??????

No!!!!! This ride keeps u inside the building at all times!!!!!

Well hope u have like them guys,

See ya
    soon, with nmore STUPID questions!!!

See ya
    Robb ;D

4. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

I used to write in the passports "Bonjour!! Merci for visiting Canada, home of moose and maple trees! Au revoir!"

But your complaint leads back somewhat to a comment I have already posted....when I was told I can't possible be Canadian because I have a British accent... ???

And again, I accept (unwillingly) that not everyone knows Ottawa is the capital (I will reiterate that knowledge of the capitals of the world should be basic, sigh), but it's when the ARGUE with me that it's NOT is when I get downright pissed off!...... or argue with me saying Toronto is actually an American city in the state of New York....Whhaaah???

And I agree with Dan...we are employed to educate, but it's the 'rude' and stereotypical comments that make me irrate. Like when a guest said they wouldn't visit the German pavillion because Nazis worked there, or they'd boycott the China pavillion because they're all Communists.....I HATED that. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut sometimes...

General 'not knowing' is one thing......being a f***ing idiot is another.

5. Dan

Dan New Member

Agreed.

Some people seem to think we all sit around drinking tea and eating crumpets all day, saying "Jolly good" and "Bloody Hell: every other sentence.... ???

Dan

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

somene in the uk pavillio was aked if we speak english or aerican the other day......nuff said

and yesterday i was asked where splash mountain was......???

xxx

7. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

LOL! I got that ..... there was in Epcot dressed like a lumberjack, and a couple came up and asked me the directions to Space Mountain.... they thought Canada was Splash Mountain... ::)

8. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

A woman asked me the other day to do a short video for her parents so they could hear my accent!!! and another asked me when the next Lions game was on....I'm not a friggin TV guide!!!

Ellen x x x

9. Dan

Dan New Member

I did that once before too. And the little girl filming the spiel, kept saying "what" after every sentence, obviously couldn't understand the Yorkshire!

And I also got called a "f*cking european", lol. :eek: By a bloke who just wasn't happy that we closed at 9pm.

You do get some very strange scenarios, that's for sure.

Dan

10. Jjsweet1402

Jjsweet1402 New Member

now if dans anything like me!! that would have been a total insult as myself and a vast number of people i no hate being called european. I no being brits we are european but i see my self as a brit 1st a foremost because it always us our indepence, something the EU try so hard to take away!!!

anyways keep the stupid comment coming lol

11. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

I agree, jenine.
    I do not like to be called european,
    I'm norwegian!!! :mad:
    Norway isn't in europe (or, well, actually it is :D ), it's in scandinavia...
    I would rather be called scandinavian, than european.... ;D ;D

12. Dan

Dan New Member

I would much rather be called British than European too. But this guy was annoyed, and obviously thought that because we were european, we weren't efficient enough.

It's a shame you meet such small minded folk, it's part and parcel of the job but thankfully, you get very few of them. Most have a genuine interest in you and like to ask questions. ;D

Dan

13. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

funny that u guys dotn like beign called european...cuz as my background is italian...id MUCH rather be called european than canadian! hahah(not saying im not proud to be canadian..just find european to be more unique)

14. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Hey, I'd rather be called Canadian than an Eskimo! Yup, I got that too...I guess they figure as soon as you cross a political border, we're all in parkas, toques and mukluks!

I can't post anymore tonight,.. excuse while I go feed my sled dog and eat snow with my friend Nanook of the North. ::) :p

15. Dan

Dan New Member

I'm not bothered about being called European, I just feel more british!! (Because british culture is way different to anything else!!)

16. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

haha you made me laugh out loud on that one!

17. Jjsweet1402

Jjsweet1402 New Member

thats class sarahjane!!!!

how are the sled dogs doing by the way!!!

18. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I tell people I have a European boyfriend cause it sounds fun...then I laugh and tell them he's Scottish and wears a kilt.

Shan

19. Jjsweet1402

Jjsweet1402 New Member

nice, i love a man in a kilt they look sooo sexy!!!

20. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Yes they do! He was wearing it the night I first met him. Mmmm...