Random...Stupid Guests?!

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Danman, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

Yeah, blame the schools for sure, what else is there to blame??
    But, then again, would have to look at the states individually, as my dad, and grandparents who are american, know alot about everything, and they're from the north-west...
    Not to be rude here, towards Canadians, but maybe they don't think it's that important to learn about your countrey, as we here in Norway learn practically nothing about Sweden or Finland, and only a bit about Russia... So doesn't really matter how close you are. As we have learned just about everything there is to learn about the rest of Europe and the US.

2. Jimbobdaga

Jimbobdaga Member

Ok I had a nice question from a guest today; they asked me if the Astro Orbiter went upside down :)

3. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

It's scary enough being that high as it is, let alone going upside down!!!

I've had loads of people ask me what countries make up the uk and I haven't even started my shifts yet!!

Ellen x x x :D

4. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

That's not a dumb question...if you don't know, then you don't know. It's so high up that it's hard to tell. At least they asked.

5. MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony New Member

i think its a dumb question... you can see the ride from the ground... and if you were working there that day jim, even worse hahaha... never had any really stupid questions yet, so i've come to the conclusion that americans are smarter when hungry... as i work in foods now

6. Jimbobdaga

Jimbobdaga Member

The worst part was I told her the ride was like Dumbo, and she knew what that was.

7. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

lol thats funny ;D

8. robynchic

robynchic New Member

Um...I got beaten up yesterday...

9. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

WHAT?! u got beaten up?! did i read that right? what happened :(

10. Quark

Quark New Member

Sorry to interrupt, and yes, I also want to know what happened, but I just had to throw in my thoughts about American stupidity.

I think the most important lesson I learned over there was that, yes, Americans are generally a bit more stupid than everyone else, but most of the time it really is just ignorance. AND when I had returned home, I noticed how much my focus had shifted. Do you honestly think that it matters whether you are from Wales, or whether Ottawa is the capital? It matters to YOU, but does it have to matter to the rest of the world? Name the capital of Wyoming and North Dakota! Let us know about the German Kanzleramtsminister. Tell me how many provinces there are in China? I don't even know if there are any, and how the country is structured.

True, there are some things that you just ought to now - no, Wales isn't a city. No, the statue of liberty isn't in Los Angeles. And no, Australia doesn't border China and yes, they do have running water. When the Americans are lacking in things like that it really is just incredibly stupid/ignorant and it's plain amazing.

But complaining about them not knowing about Ottawa or Wales is just what I learned to be European (or maybe Canadian) ignorance - in complaining about these things, we try to raise ourselves over the "stupid" Americans, and in doing that we are even worse. Usually, they at least admit that they are stupid and ignorant. We never do.

And by the way, yes, you are incredibly friendly and polite in the UK. That's why I moved here :) I just wonder how much you pay those people that guide you to your seat in the cinema (I've NEVER seen that anywhere else in the world) and other people doing things like that - because they always seem to be genuinely friendly, unlike in the US, where everything is fake. How oh how do you guys do that?!

11. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

nicely said...

12. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Um, it's not necessarily just that they don't know Ottawa isn't the capital (altough in my personal opinion a basic knowledge of world capitals is a must...not necessarily their government structure)...but it was that they'd ARGUE with me that it WASN'T!! Um, I should know better.... I wouldn't argue with someone from Germany about cities and facts about Germany. That's just rude and ignorant!

I do overall agree with you, that not everyone has to know everything about every place in the world. Besides, they're tourists...who wants to actually 'think' when they're on vacation? They want to be entertained, and that's it.

13. emma

emma New Member

lol erm i guess our cinema guys get minimum wage...not evry one in the Uk is like that...i doubt neway obviously i havent met them all.....and wes till duno y robynchic was beaten up

14. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

is she ok? :eek:

15. sutherz

sutherz New Member

I got asked if johannesburg was a country. IF i had AIDS,what was it like to wear shoes, Do i still hate black people, Whats it like to have running water and Is it nice to ride in a car. The questions were so dumb but the conversations that grew out of them wer awesome. Being from south africa we never had any of lifes luxurries like shoes and cars or even television. ;)

16. Dan

Dan New Member

According to one woman, Yorkshire was where the less intelligent, lower class people all came from, and another said "all the real english people are from london".

I'm really patient with people generally and try not to stereotype, but here, some of the comments and questions we IP people got really made our p*ss boil. And it always seems to be the "locals" who would ask them. Perhaps it's not their fault - my brother goes to school here and apparantly, geography and world history were chopped last year. If decisions like that are taken, who can blame them for not knowing so much?

It's quite funny sometimes though, we certainly had a laugh about it at work.Some would annoy you (I remember the scots, welsh and northern irish cast members getting rightly annoyed with the continued disregard for their countries) but others were just really funny (Like when we get asked to write something in our own language).

All part and parcel of being a Cultural Representative!!

Dan

17. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

HAHAHA, I'm soooooooooooooo looking forward to getting those kinda questions ;D ;D

18. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

YES!!!! I was asked on many occasion to write in someone's childs passport in "my own language"!!!!!! Okay...I'll excuse some stupid shit, but give me a break???!?!?!?!?!? Buy a book, read a newspaper...stop being so ignorant and attempt to learn something...knowing that we speak ENGLISH in CANADA doesn't take a rocket scientist american to know. Maybe they should take a look at themselves and put those geography and world history classes back in school. Dumb.

Sorry...just annoys me.

Shan

19. Jimbobdaga

Jimbobdaga Member

O my lol, I'm ashamed to say I'm an American.

20. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I don't expect you to know that Ottawa is the capital...although...but that we speak english??? Come on...please. I was asked if I live in an igloo many times and with a straight face I would tell them, no...right now we are in our tepee because our igloo has melted. They would honestly believe until I told them no. Bah.

Shan