So UK merch is now the England and Scotland pavillion?!

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by jimdee, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Grouchy87

Grouchy87 New Member

Hey ,

Have had a really interseting time reading this post! I'm currently in UK merch and have been for ab out a month now, and have noticed a lot of things you have all mentioned, first of all, I am from the very south west, and it does my head in that the assumption from many is that not only are all brits from London, but that we are all meant to hate the irish! it's appalling the ignorance of a lot of people over here. Today there was a little quiz in Crown, we had the pics of the 4 UK countries and the Union Jack, and we got the guests to guess at which country the flags represented, withouht sayin they were all UK ones. The answers were shocking! every guest i had to explain how the UK was made, i make a point of correcting any guest that points at the union flag and calls it england. it frustrates me so much though!

About the product side of things, all the things that Gareth was asked for (man u, rugby etc) we dnt have, and i have been asked for a lot too. we no longer have ben sherman, or wimbledon, and the reason we have newcastle is cos disney is sponsored by them and apparently we r not allowed to have any other ones. we have got welsh tartan now too, ties, scarfs etc, and the spoons, however we have very little Irish stuff.

The managers now are Clyde (newby apparenlty), Cari, Kim, Peggy (mainly france and IG though) and Jeff, and we have an apprentice manager, Matt. they are all really good too.

We don't have any welsh CM's in merch, although we do have 4 NI people, about the same Scottish and then a few more than that English. i wouldn't say the scots or the irish are under represented in the merch side, and i know of a few in F&B too.

anyways, thanks for the tip about writing to the top people here, i might just do that sometime! they are always talking about how much of an interest Brad rex takes in the park.

Catch you guys later, or come say hi if you're over in UK merch anytime!

Bry

2. Dan

Dan New Member

Brad Rex is a nice guy, I met him twice in person; in the UK and at my graduation. He does take a good interest in the park, like you say.
    However, I think even his hands are tied in the Merchandise issues. Whereas some changes can be made, things like the Newcastle shirts for example, are indispensible, mainly because they're contracted with Adidas, who make the shirts. A few of the products are linked through big money sponsorship deals.

And without saying too much, be very careful when writing letters and stuff to the hierarchy. Whereas it's a good and noble thing to do, lets just say that a lot of people don't see it that way, and if yoiu chase the cause a bit too hard, you don't want to find yourself in bother.

As for your managers, I know Kim, Cari, Peggy and Jeff! Nice guys!

Dan

3. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

And just for all your information...new manager Matt.......FINE!! ;)

Ellen x x x x

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

if ya say so ellen!

anyways....so the situation right now is 3 scottish people( one about to leave) 5 northern irish and the rest english

just so you all knew....only one welsh person in the whole pavilion, shes f&b

as for the footie strips, just newcastle united we sell now. coz of the adidas thing

xxxx

5. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Clearly you haven't seen him outside of work Lindsey!!!! :D

Ellen x x x

6. Chris

Chris New Member

I shall be bigging up the welsh massive in food and beverage when i arrive!

7. RichardGandy

RichardGandy New Member

I think that as I was finishing I was one of if not the only Welsh person in the entire pavillion. It seems to go through phases though. I was certainly the only Welsh UK Lad for a while

Rich

8. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

There were several during my contract.

Shan

9. Jamie

Jamie New Member

hey Gandy your forgetting that i was there before you left and Cath from Caerphilly...and of course little Becca!!

i think at one point we were nearly up to double fiqures!!

10. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Going off topic...

Hey Jamie!! How ya doing?

Shan

11. RichardGandy

RichardGandy New Member

Jamie, how could I forget you. I know there were some others there but certainly no true representation is Welsh people in numbers.

However I think that the Welsh people that were there (and definitely Scottish and Irish - Elaine, Calvin etc) certainly made up for it in personality :p ;)

Rich