Surfing

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by marshabrady, Mar 12, 2005.

1. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm not Alumni (yet!), I just thought you might be able to answer my questions better..
    Did any of you guys do much surfing when u were there? Or did you go to the beaches often? How did u get to them? What beaches seemed to be the best for surfing? And did anyone buy a board whilst there? If so, where from, and how did u transport it to the beaches?
    *phew* sorry for the amount of questions there! I'm very curious, and excited!!
    Beth  :-*

2. emma

emma New Member

its been my life long dream 2 surf beth!!! i didnt wanna ask tho....me and u will but buggy boards and giv it a whirl! lol!!! blue crush!

3. Winnipeg gal

Winnipeg gal New Member

Hey girls

I'm not alumni either yet, currently in the program :D I've never surfed before in my life, but I'm planning to take lessons at Typhoon Lagoon sometime soon. I think it's $135 for a 2 1/2 hour lesson, you go before the park opens and I think the classes are fairly small. I know it's not the ocean, but I think it would be a cool way to learn, since it's in the wave pool and the waves are controlled so you can't get your ass kicked too much! It seems to be one of the few things that cast members don't get a discount on though, so if anyone out there ever took the lessons and can tell me how it went, that would be superb!

Take it easy :)

Christa

4. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

honestly i am down with surfing...ive always wanted to do it! ! and as soon as i found out i was going to florida it was one of my goals to surf during the year im there!!! im willing to pay anythign to learn! ahha

5. Gareth

Gareth New Member

hello all

the easiest beaches to get to out there are clearwtare on the gulf coast side and daytona or cocoa beach on the atlantic / gold coast side. when i was out there there was usually someone in the commons hiring a car to go to one or the other and they always let you catch a lift from them if you helped with the cost, made it cheap as well, like $5 to go to the beach for the day.
    the altantic / gold coast side is the best beach to go to to try surfing out. you can hire boards from Ron Jons surf shop, and it works out pretty reasonable.....about $15 for the hour.....not sure on that tho and i think that was at cocoa beach....
    i prefered clearwater....more like the caribbean...white sands, very calm warm seas and the coolest chill out sunsets

have a great time!!

Gareth

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

awww sounds good!. i cant wait to get out there and try all we can! shall be fun!

xxxx

7. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

i agree with lindsey!!!

8. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

yeah well the way I see it is that not many people are as lucky as(just look at the applicants board) so we should grab every oportunity we get. as hundreds would love to be in this position and try and try but fail at it, so we're the lucky few!

I'm sure I will do some extreemly stupid things trough my year!( laready have plans for a tattoo!) but they will all be great memories Im sure. One thing i wont do is jump out a plane, which i hear a few do! no chance!haha

xxx

9. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

yah i wanna get another tattoo while im down there..something disney that'll remind me of my time there! hahha

10. Gareth

Gareth New Member

you have to do a skydive!!!!!!!!!

there is a place down near cocoa beach where you can do a skydive and see the whole coastline, including kennady space centre....that its amaising!!!!! when i got the chance to do a dive, there was a rocket on the launch pad, great story to tell

gareth

11. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Ha ha Lindsey!!! That's exactly what I said when I got there and right up until I got in the plane!!! I'm going to take you when I come down!!! I can't wait to hear about all your stupid things!

Shan

12. Frederik

Frederik New Member

Florida might not be the best surf location in the world but New Smyrna Beach (between Daytona Beach and Cocoa Beach) is an ok place. Winter time you'll find the best waves and you can rent wet suites (freezing water) and boards. You won't find any waves at the west coast.

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

haha shan you couldn't pay me to do that!

xxx

14. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

how much does it cost and i take it your with an instructor and dont do it by yourself!

15. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

A friend of mine took a couple of 'private' surfing lessons with a hot local guy.....but honestly, she was the only one I know who ever went surfing. That was on the Atlantic coastline though...around Cocoa Beach (where you HAVE to go to Ron Jon's Surf Shop!!!)

16. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

mmm private surfer instructor....sounds soo appealing!

17. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

it certainly does!

one to one lessons with a hot surfer dude, i would definately pay for that! :D

18. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Lucky for her...he didn't charge a cent!!! :-* ;)

19. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

even better! ;D

20. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I think skydiving was like $190 or so dollars...which included both the video and still pics...which are a must. The one of us that didn't get them regretted it after. You don't go by yourself. It's a tandem jump which means you are strapped to the instructor. They don't tell you a hell of a lot before you get in the plane which is scary, but you don't have to do much until landing...so it's okay!!! A lot of people from the Commons go...I went with 3 other Canadians, 3 Norwegians and a girl from Wales. There was a huge group from the french pavilion there when we got there. Very popular outing and well worth it.

Shan