Tax Back after the program....

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Lesley86, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

hey everyone

i claimed my tax back for both tax years i was there (jan - dec 2007 and jan - april 2008, my program was from april 2007 - april 2008 and the U.S tax year runs from Jan - Dec, unlike the UK tax year which runs April - April) and received my full tax refund for both tax years

however

now im getting emails from a company called tax back who claim that im still owed money......

just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this and if any more money has come through - or is it just a scam (im pretty sure its a scam but if they want to give me some more money,bring it on!!!!)

2. linsey

linsey New Member

If you didn't use that company first time to get your tax then I think it's spam. I get stuff from the guys I used to get mine before but always just nice polite 'we're here to help!' emails.. and I got a free pen.

Though I'm still arguing with the UK tax man over my tax from just before I left. It's been two years I've argued, I've even had to involve my MP because HMRC have been useless. They've had me filling in all sorts of immigration forms and told me I should have filled out a 'leaving the uk' form before I'd left.

Ridicularse.

3. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

I ended up with a bill from taxback for 140 dollars and i found out that they had only finished filing it this year-almost a year after i got home! Im going to New York on holiday at christmas-i expect to get pulled aside into an interogation room!

4. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

i used turbo tax.. and didn't have a single problem. :)
    Do any of your guys remember how you got your W-2 form? I know when you're working there it's on the hub, but we clearly dont have access to the hub after are program. Do they mail it to us?

5. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

mine got sent in the post to me

so long as u updated ur address on the hub before you left it should come to ya home address u get it around 4 weeks after the americans tho cos of the mail

6. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

it's in january, right?

7. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

yeah but can take up til feb to get your docs through i think

8. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Perfect!
    Thanks!

9. Chiyo111

Chiyo111 Member

Ohhh, guys... please be careful with turbo tax... one wrong click, and they want money from you.
    I had the same problem, but I stopped the whole thing and started all over. And suddenly it worked.
    But I have to look exactly what you are doing - or you have to pay for the service :)

Greetings from Germany
    Chiyo ^^