Tax form is a night mare!!

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Charly, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Bee

Bee New Member

Oh god I dun even wanna think about it . . . .

But then again I still didn't get mine  :eek: :eek: :eek:

HELP . . .

What to do . . .

2. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I dunno. I didn't do it so I don't know exactly what they had to file afterwards. I'm still fighting to get my refund from last year back because they screwed up my SSN and can't fix it...which is great for them cause then they get all my money!!! GRRR!!!! Which means I have to pay my stupid Canadian government more too!!! Double GRRR!!!

Shan

3. Charly

Charly New Member

OK thanks Quark!!
    I'm so dumb sorry!! :-\
    Not even able to read properly!! ;) let's say I was tired when I looked at it!!
    I'll try the online 1040EZ...
    Thanx so much!
    Charlotte

4. Charly

Charly New Member

OK one more stupid question.. on which website do you fill in you form? Are we charge? I see a lot of links but which one is best? which one did you use Quark?
    thank again..!

5. Quark

Quark New Member

There are lots of companies linked from irs.gov, most of them are free for a standard 1040EZ. I tried esmarttax.com, but my return got rejected because of an error about wrong numbering of fields - so something was wrong technically I suppose.
    I then used taxactonline.com and my return got accepted. I didn't like their user interface, but if it works and is for free, I don't care...

6. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Finally completed mine so yeah me, or should I say that a friend did it for me cause I couldn't do it ;) Completed 1040 NR-EZ form

7. Louisa

Louisa New Member

QUESTION: I actually manage to fill out mine, and send it.. but I'm done with my program and I don't have an accont in america any more. do any one know if you still can get your money to be put in your non american bank? or do you have to get a check?

8. Charly

Charly New Member

I did not succeed to fill it in online, they ask for a state and zip code but beiing in france I can't set an american address!!
    I completed it, now where to I have to send it? just to be sure not doing mistakes!!
    Can we fax it?
    Do we have to join W-2 form with it?
    Thanks again.. after that one I hope I'll be done! ;)

Louisa, I think they send a check.

9. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Join W 2 to it yea and not sure about faxing.

You can#t get it sent to a non us bankl you get it as a cheque

10. Charly

Charly New Member

Nobody knows where to send the form!??
    thanks,

11. franzi

franzi New Member

Hey guys,

I finally finished my tax declaration. I used Quarks advice and took the website www.taxactonline.com. That was indeed very easy (for 1040EZ). Now I'm hoping everything works out for me.

You have to send the filled form (1040EZ) to:

Internal Revenue Service Center
    Atlanta, GA 39901-0014

Take care everybody,
    Franzi

12. Charly

Charly New Member

Thanks a lot!!
    did ou join the 4 copies of W2 form with it?
    sent by normal mail?

13. Quark

Quark New Member

The W2 in the upper left corner should be enough. You can fill out 1040EZ and send it to the above address, along with your W2, or you just fill it out online and send it online. Then you just have to send your signature on a different form that tells them that you are okay with the online application. It's much faster that way and if nothing goes wrong I should have my money tomorrow.

14. Charly

Charly New Member

OK I finally succeded to fill it on line..!
    I hope it will work!
    thanks for all your tips!
    Quark did you get your money?
    The form we have to fill is the 8453 is that it?
    so we fill it all the same and send it?

15. Quark

Quark New Member

Exactly. And even if you don't send it you still get your money, but they will come back to you and ask for that if you don't send it within a reasonable amount of time. As this makes you more suspicious, I would send it straight away.

And yes, strangely enough I really got my money deposited into my account yesterday! Bang on time - wouldn't have thought so. So the date taxactonline.com and the IRS inquiry website give you is pretty much correct. All in all it took me 1 1/2 weeks. Amazing.

Now I just have to wait if they ever take a closer look at my form and might want their money back at a later stage. If I were you, I wouldn't spend all of that money right away. I don't think there's much to fear, but IF they realize they overpaid sometime in the future, I want to have some money left to repay them, just in case...

16. Charly

Charly New Member

Argggh..
    I think I will never get ride of that tax stuff..
    I have been "rejected".. with as explanations :

Select each rejected code to correct then click "Next". "E-mail Support" is available. Upon completion, resubmit your tax return for electronic filing.

0615 o Tax Form - If State Abbreviation (SEQ 0087) equals "AS", "GU", "MP", "PR", or "VI"; or Address Ind (SEQ 0097) equals "3"; or any of the following forms are present: Form 4563, Form 5074, Form 8689, Form 8833, Form 8891 and/or Form W-2GU, then the return must be processed at Philadelphia Submission Processing Center.

Form = RET 1040Z ; Form Number = 1

0610 o Tax Form - If Address Ind (SEQ 097) is equal to "3" (indicating a foreign country), then the following fields must be present: Foreign Street Address (SEQ 062), Foreign City, State or Province, Postal Code (SEQ 064), and Foreign Country (SEQ 066); and the following fields cannot be present: Name Line 2 (SEQ 070), Street Address (SEQ 080), City (SEQ 083), State Abbreviation (SEQ 087), and Zip Code (SEQ 095). If Address Ind (SEQ 097) is not equal to "3", then the following fields cannot be present: Foreign Street Address (SEQ 062), Foreign City, State or Province, Postal Code (SEQ 064), and Foreign Country (SEQ 066).

Form = RET 1040Z ; Form Number = 1; Field Id = 97

So clear isn't it!?
    With of course no "email suport" neither nothing selecting the points..
    grrrr..

I already tried on taxactonline.com but I could not file the address state code since I m not in US anymore..!
    retried it tonight but site not working apparently... :/

17. Quark

Quark New Member

I had a different error, but also got rejected on esmarttax. www.taxactonline.com worked for me - I don't know why it doesn't for you. Did you select "Foreign" from the state dropdown list - it's the very last entry? Anyway, if it doesn't work, just try all the different ones on the IRS homepage. There are tons, most of them are free, one of them ought to work and you don't lose anything by trying over and over again...

18. Gundu81

Gundu81 New Member

hey,

I've just been in Orlando till March last year, does it make any sense for me to file as resident? Till which amount of paid taxes is it useful to file as resident?
    Thanks for your help,

bye, Gundu

19. Quark

Quark New Member

The official rules for filing as a resident is that you have to have been present for at least 180 days (I think). That being said, Q1s are excluded from that anyway and can never file as residents. Officially.
    But if you have been there for only three months, that's just one more mistake you "accidentally" make. You wouldn't be able to file as resident anyway, so why not cheat a little more. Please note that that's up to each one - I don't endorse fraud. It worked for me and I don't feel guilty as I don't see the reasoning behind us paying more taxes than US residents.

I think filing as a resident is "advisable" if you have paid more than roughly 400$ of tax. You'll be able to get around 1000-1100$ back if you file as a resident I think, after which you will again be taxable. Getting back "everything" is a myth I believe.

So if you want to get back less than 400$, which might be the case if you were there for only three months, you can stay perfectly legal by filing 1040NR-EZ, which I did last year. Worked just as well. But you can't file online...

20. Andy S

Andy S New Member

Howdy,

It might have been posted and I just missed it, but does anyone know what the expection amount is? Would it be the same as last year??

Cheers for your help!

ANDY