The one thing you forgot/wish you'd taken......

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Anna, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Ona

Ona Member

An alarm clock.

I had no roommate and no alarm clock. Needless to say, i didn't sleep a wink my first night and then managed to sleep in anyway!

Remember an alarm clock.

Ona x.

2. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

LOL I brought one and even bought another one in my first days, because I was so afraid of sleeping in. I came late to work once ( after a night out drinking of course ::) ), but no one noticed! We were always so many people that no one really kept track of who was supposed to come in at what time. So I just stayed a little longer and only told some of my co-workers. Needless to say the managers only checked on us like once or twice during the day and they surely didn't know who had what shift.

Julia

3. Doc

Doc New Member

To be honest, it won't take long to fill your appartment with stuff anyway. And any essentials can be purchased for next to nothing over in the Outlet Mall, at the Florida Mall or at Walmart. Pack for a long holiday - and anything else you'll need can be easily got hold of!

4. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

My issue is im deffinitly going to have 1 suitcase of just Shoes......i have too many, then im like lizzie im a shopaholic, so theres 2 empty suitcases ill need to bring. and then all my clothes ill need will be another 2..........im sure glad im thinking of driving down!!!!
    Sheena

5. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Hey! Being from Ottawa you should definitely consider driving down!!! It works so much better ( also for going back after the year ). There is just too much great stuff to buy!

Julia

6. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

shopoholics all the way there sheena!! we'll form a little crew just to help us through it! ;D

7. tania

tania New Member

he guys just to let u no if ur flying from the uk!!!!! i went on a 2 week holiday 2 florida i was allowed 20kg and turned up with 35kg and they fined me £90 even b4 i got on the plane!!!!! sumthing like £6 for 1kg u go over!!!!!! i was so p***ed off!!! so b carefull girls!!!

8. emma

emma New Member

yeah they got my mate with that on the way to magaluff! awful...as if her shoes wud make the plane sink!! grrr

9. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

They did that to my aunt, too. She was flying with my mom and my other aunt, so they just took some stuff from my auntie's suitcase and put it in theirs LOL

Julia

10. SaraC

SaraC New Member

great idea for a topic anna ;) been thinkin this meself!

really tania, crazy stuff! jason told chelle we could take upto 30kg in each suitcase *we can have 2* plus one hand luggage plus a laptop if u require! but i know im gona check before i leave what baggage allowances r!

im gona b filling a suitcase with underwear bikinis and shoes at the rate im goin a the min

xxx

11. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

im pretty sure the only thing i need other than a nice work outfit and work stuff is bikinis and shorts..and those take up close to nothing!

12. SaraC

SaraC New Member

yeah ;) but then i need my straightener, and adapters and bits and bobs, my bits and bobs usually mount up2 everythin including the kitchen sink :p

im goin to poland on monday and im takin so much stuff, all the 'i might need this' scenario lol

xxx

13. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

Just a little thing that can help everyone out.....get your family to send you a package as soon as you get there (they can send you your straightner and allthat stuff and anything you forgot....that way you can have more room for clothes and bikini's....and you can do the same on the way home send some stuff back a week or 2 before you head home.....just make sure if theres something extreemly valuable to insure the parcel...but its works.....my friend is in california right now and she just sent back up a bunch of stuff to her parents cus she wont be able to take it on the plane.....ill probably to the same even tho i might drive.....cluttered cars are not cool on a 3 day drive!!!!

Sheena

14. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

You can definitely mail parcels, it's not that expensive ( especially from Florida ), many friends of mine did that. I was lucky enough to have my parents visit twice and my best friend once, so I didn't need to do it.

I am sooo bad with packing, too. Now that I am going for 18 months and don't have an apt. I have no address to send stuff to LOL I want to bring everything ( which includes about 10 pairs of shoes, inline skates, video camera, notebook etc ::) )

Julia

15. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

ahh sara..how coudl i forget my straightener! hahaha....id die without it! but i'll buy like a blow dryer and curling iron when im down there....those arent too pricy....and well makeup..that can come with me on the plane:p

16. tania

tania New Member

OMG i would b so happy if we were allowed to take that much!!!!!! soon as you no make a new post so i dont miss it!!!!!!!! xxx

17. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

i have a list up to my arm of everything i wanna take and im only on the 3 month program!!!! ;D ;D

hopefully i wont go over the limit..ill be sending things back by UPS proberly....hopefully its not too much

xxx

18. robynchic

robynchic New Member

The idea to have stuff sent to you is GREAT. Anything you can live without for a little while, have your family send it.
    Also, I keep emphasizing this, and I MEAN it. You don't need to bring all your toiletries. Bottles of shampoo and conditioner can explode in the suitcase from the pressure in the cargo hold and take up a lot of space that you could use for a few pairs of shorts or a pair of shoes. Also, you're going to be in America. It's not exactly an under-developed country. You can get soap, shampoo, conditioner, hair styling products...all of that, in grocery stores, drug stores, or Wal-Mart.
    Speaking of shoes, here's a little trick my parents taught me- stuff your undergarments and socks into your shoes. Then there's a little bit more space in your suitcase free.
    Another packing note- anything that won't wrinkle easily, roll it instead of folding it. For instance, cotton shirts, shorts, bathing suits can be rolled. Suits and dressy shirts- fold them. Anything breakable, wrap in a shirt or something.
    Simple things like that. Personally, when I pack for Disney, I'm bringing clothes I KNOW I'll need. If I didn't wear it last summer (when I was in Disney), then I won't need it this summer. Anything I DIDN'T have but wanted, I'll pack this year. Also, pack for all climates. The temperature at night can cool down about 20-30 degrees (farenheit).
    If you guys have any more questions, feel free to talk to me on a messaging program.

19. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Robyn- totally agree with you! I only just bring small shampoo and shower stuff ( like the ones they have in the hotels ) and then buy larger ones when I am there. When I am going to a very warm climate place I have to admitt I never brink sweaters. I just buy one when I am really freezing my ass off lol I will have to test my packing ability in a week YUCK!

Julia

20. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

i forgot a smart outfit for traditions!! - i went to the Mall across the street to buy a shirt the day after i got there!! - i went shopping on my second day there - i started as i meant to go on  ;)

make sure you take a Union Jack or something red/white/blue.  if your a footie/rugby fan take your hometown shirt :)