The Weather

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Nio, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Nio

Nio New Member

Well, it's raining and naturally it made me think of the popcorn cart in the summer. It's not raining nearly as hard as it did in Florida, but it's still raining. I remember when I used to consider rain like this a "down-pour". I realize now that was a bit overdramatic. Does anyone recall working out by the promenade and being able to see the wall (no joke) of water coming accross the park? It was scary at the popcorn cart in Canada. I broke 3 stupid umbrellas in storms. Oh well. Aside from having soggy cash, costume, and running shoes I suppose it wasn't too bad. Again.... I can't stress this enough..... I'M REALLY BORED!!! So if anyone has any "Magical" weather stories/memories from at Disney to share please do so! I didn't get to experience any hurricanes, just hurricane warnings and I'm sure there are some of you out there with wicked chair flying stories and such.

;)

2. MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony New Member

Not much of a story, but I remember some American CP got struck by lightning in the Downtown Disney parking lot. A girl, of course, I'm guessing it was the high-heeled shoes ;D Other than that, I was very happy it rained on New Year's 02/03. The guests just disappeared and we were left to enjoy the fiesty Norwegian music. So... nothing really magical, at least not in the eyes of Mickey...

3. Ona

Ona Member

Hmmm.....

There was the giant gust of wind which blew *EVERYTHING* of the UK cart! Picture it; english mickeys and princess minnies lying in puddles all over the promenade. The poor CM on cart then had to bring it all back into the UK office and try to dry it all out! There were rows and rows of mickeys, minnies and flags lying all over the floor and shelves. 'Twas like some wierd morgue! :eek:

I was there for hurricane Charley. Crazy crazy crazy. The carts were strapped and bolted to the ground with big bright yellow straps. The park closed at like 1pm or something similar. But guests were just wandering around the shops. "Hi there folks, I'm not sure whether you are aware there is a giant hurricane heading right this way with an eta of about 1 hr so maybe you'd rather buy some irish breakfast tea another time." ::)

We were suposed to have a ride out crew in merch but we were then informed that IPs couldn't do it due to some insurance reason nonsense blah which was nonsense since there was a F&B ride out crew. ::) But the hurricane came anyway. So ther we were, in full costume (full length white skirt etc ::) ), pouring rain, howling wind trying to secure the pavilion while the manager was trying to secure 4 pavilions! Oh to make things better our dyke board info sheet was out of date. All the shops had the wrong names so we had no idea what went where. ::) ;D Ended up pretty much the last folks out of epcot (other than the ride out folks), getting a lift back to the commons from our area manager just as tornado warnings were all over the LBV area.

Made great memories though. ;D

Ona x

4. Ona

Ona Member

Ooo what about the infamous baby giraaffe. Sad sad day in the animal kingdom. :'(

Ona x

5. Nio

Nio New Member

It certainly was crazy weather. Was it the consistent 3:00pm downpour every day of the summer while you guys were there? You could set your watch by it.

6. MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony New Member

Being a sucker for white clothing, I remember that very well from summer 02 and 03. Though summer 05 was different. We had nice weather every day and some storms other days?!?! What is up with that?

7. Nio

Nio New Member

Hey! MyLittlePony. you must have been at the commons while I was there? I was there from March 2005 - November 2005

8. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I remember it always raining at 3pm. I had two times that I had to get from my pavillion to the bus station in my wonderful tights and I was soaked once I got to the station. Also we put trash bags over ourselves in case we had forgotten our raincoat lol I also remember one day where we had hurricane warning and the busses didn't go to EpCot because you could barely see anything out there. Nevertheless, the weather in Orlando is A LOT better than South Florida weather. I have gone through two major hurricanes since being here and I am afraid I will see more this year! It's a scary thing, especially when you sit inside with no lights and radio to get an update what's going on outside. You feel like it's the end of the world. And then when it's finally over and you go outside it's just INSANE, I never saw so much damage done by nature!
    Well have fun everyone ;)

Julia

9. MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony New Member

Nio:
    Yup. I'm surprised we have different perceptions of the weather then... maybe I was too hungover to notice...? The only Canadians I remember having met are EvilQueen (forgot her name) and Robyn. I used to have a shout-out to Canadians way-back-when, but I dunno whether I used it that summer (Unless you remember hearing "OH MY GOD! A CANADIAN!!!" some time? Its really funny when you're drunk, promise)

10. Nio

Nio New Member

Norwegians were probably my favourite. There were a few Norwegian guys that I was friends with and I had a couple roomies that were Norwegian. I need to learn more of the language. All I know is how to tell people to go to hell. LOL and a few other choice words. Robyn was terminated. Sandra is still at Disney, she's in Paris though for a few days from what I understand though she might be back. Which apartment were you in?

11. KC

KC New Member

I love Florida storms!

I'm Irish. And being Irish, I know rain. I mean, I KNOW rain! We get a hecklot more of it then the UK because we're closer to the Atlantic and as a general result, we get absolutely bucketed on most every day of the year.

But I had never, ever, ever seen rain like it until we had a thunderstorm in Florida...

We were staying at the Carribean Beach Resort (we got a corner room! yay!) and there were trees across from our room. You literally could not see the trees because of the rain. It looked like there was a huge fog or something. Everything was just a greyish-white shower! It was SO cool! (I'm wierd like that!)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?..._Our Room_~aN.28.363119_-81.543878_The Trees_

^ That shows the sort of teeny tiny distance we're working with here!

I'm kinda hoping to experience that sorta thing again-Just, obviously not every day ::)

Then, there are the hurricanes, of course... I'm not hugely so much about the hurricanes... But I like that sorta... everyone pull together mentality that they bring, so if one happens while I'm out there, I wont be too bothered, I think.

Yes, I'm odd as heck.
    VERY odd. :-\
    KC

12. Nio

Nio New Member

Like I said in my original post about the wall of rain that was coming accross the water towards us.... it was REALLY scary! I think I was training new CM's that day which was awesome! They were quite frightened! I'll admit it was pretty scary. I was kind of dissappointed about not having hurricane parties and sleepovers, and going hurricane shopping and stuff. Everyone talked so much about it and then it was nothing. There was one I think that barely. The most excitement I had shopping was when I went with JossyPoo shopping at Wal-Mart in our PJ's, that was fun times :) P.S to alumni people, there's a HUGE new Wal-Mart that's quite close to the Commons. Unfortunately the busses still take their sweet ass time to get back and forth.

13. DisneyTracy

DisneyTracy New Member

Oh Nio! Oh to the popcorn Cart! lol.. How many times did i say everytime i was out there, Reggie, There is HUGE gray cloud comming my way! HELP or radio REGGIE There was just a HUGE lightening strike Behind me on the water. It was classic, i think the best time i ever had tho, was with chris, It was Downpour, we couldn't see anything in front of us or behind us, but there was no lighting, therefore, Wonderful Megan made us stay outside.. Grrrr..but after a while we were pissed that we were wet, because Sombody BROKE the umbrellas.... NIO. lol we started having fun, Dancing with the guests that were just as wet as we were running up and down from canada to the UK! we had fun with it.. then we got the call to shut down the cart, after we were soked..Thanks lol.. Nothing like ridding a bus back to the commons Soking WET!

14. flavour

flavour New Member

i remember being stuck inside the odyssey once with a friend, they wouldn't let us leave and all they told us was to get away from the windows because there had been 2 tornados out there, one over italy and somewhere else (of course! ;-))...that was kinda freaky! but when it started pouring down here yesterday i had to think of florida right away, too...

15. MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony New Member

Nio, that's so nice to hear, that Norwegians were your fave people. I had NO idea Robyn was terminated. What happened? Well, maybe you could PM me with that info? I was in 523... for some reason they always put me in Beverly Hills/Manhattan :eek: So didya hang out with the foodies, merchies or attraction ppl from Norway? And your work location? Mine was food. Yeah, I loved those bakery hats.

16. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

This story IS totally magical.

One night a bunch of us were heading to go out to House of Blues. As we were driving there, it started to rain a little...by the time we got there, it was a torrential downpour!

We ran to the bar, and were told to still wait in the line up, even though it was industry night. Whatever.

All of a sudden there was a commotion at the door, and the bouncer yelled for everyone to run inside! Hurry! Fast! Run!!

What we later found out is this sudden weather brought several tornadoes with it!!

Here's the magical part....

Think of Orlando and area like a donut, and WDW is the hole - the center of the donut. WELL, those tornados hit ALLLLL around WDW... Hit Kissimmee, the city of Orlando, and every little county surrounding WDW, but not ONE tornado hit WDW...weeiiiiird.

And as I side note, I've been on two vacations where hurricanes hit, and lived in Bermuda when yet another hurricane hit, so I've HAD IT with hurricanes!

17. JOSSYPOO

JOSSYPOO New Member

oh god .. nio and tracy TEH WALL
    how many times did we have to call in lightning and no one would care!!!! , there were days that i thought it would never end haha
    wh remembers nio and ty in the yellow rain suits?!?!?!?! that was so funny.
    and the rain would come every day between 3 and 4 when le cellier was closed.. so just in time for us to get soaking wet while going on our break!!!
    haha oh man good times...
    once robyn and i were out there and i swear it was a mini hurricane!!!! i was SO SCARED

xoxo
    nio do you have any pics of the yellow suit?
    Jossy

18. Nio

Nio New Member

LOL Oh Jossy.....

I almost forgot about Tyler and I in our "hurricane proof" costumes! The standard cast issue costumes were useless! It would have been better to wear a condom on our head (though impractical)! The yellow costumes were amazing though! They were actually rain-proof and they were kind of warm too! I just got off the phone with Harder. She's the closest to me now, followed by Craigley, and then Em and Tim and Jason, and Jaque I gues? LOL, thats a lot of people. I think there are some that are close to my area but they're ones I don't particularly care for much. Why can't you live in Ontario Jossy? LOL. Maybe Harder and I will move out your way! heheheheh.

Still have my three cannons ;)
    Nio

19. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

A guest once asked me when the rain was going to stop!?!? I've learnt a lot at work, but predicting the fickleness of the weather is not one of my talents.....

I kind of miss the summer rain....the rivers running down the promenades, soaking flip flops......getting rained out at Blizzard Beach (and managing to sneak a 'rain out' ticket for a WHOLE day's entry...even tho CM's aren't supposed to get them cos we pay 1/2 price to go after 1pm! haha!! - bad weather does come in handy sometimes!)

Kristin/Nio...Sandra lives with me...she's back from Paris now! and found it highly amusing to be discussed on here!! :)

Ellen x

20. adjonline

adjonline New Member

When you're working at Blizzard and it rains, you would not *believe* the amount og guests asking when the rain was going to stop. And in three months, I too never managed to develop the talent of working it out.

Nice trick with the tickets, though :)