URGENT! argh random tax form package has landed on door step!

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by *Laura*, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. *Laura*

    *Laura* New Member

    hi, any other alumni get a random load of tax forms today???

    mine are for year 2005..... i didnt work in the states in 2005, i only worked there from 2003-2004 and i filed tax for both those years.......... im really stressing now!!!

    laura xxx
  2. littlefeather

    littlefeather New Member

    In North America we file our taxes a year behind almost. So if you worked in 2004 you will need to file 2005 forms, if you worked in 2003 - you needed to file in 2004. I know you wrote you filed for both years, but I would file this new one anyway. You do not want to be harassed by the IRS, they're vicious from what my American friends have told me. Not too sure about the U.S. but here in Canada, even if you didn't work and you file anyway, you'll still get about $100 for paying sales/provincial taxes, something like that. Almost like free money for nothing :) Try it out, I'll bet it's a big hassle, but hey you could get a random cheque in a few months(around the time you forgot you filed-woohoo) Or if you're lazy like me, get taxback.com to do it all for you. Received my cheque just a little while ago and I didn't have to do any work, just provide them with basic info (SS #, employer, address, etc) They take some tiny fee to do it, and it's so worth it - to me anyway! :) Good Luck Laura! Don't let it stress you.
  3. adjonline

    adjonline New Member

    No, I see what Laura is saying. And it doesn't make sense. I can't see why you need to file tax forms in 2006 if you didn't work in 2005! I'd call them.

    I worked 2005 and I got the W-2 from WDW in the mail, but the IRS didn't send me the forms. I had to find those myself...
  4. littlefeather

    littlefeather New Member

    The U.S. fiscal year never matches the calendar year. So even if you don't think you worked into 2005, you might've depending on how the fiscal year ended.  It sounds like you are being sent 2005 forms for an overlap of your working into the 2005 fiscal year.  The revenue agencies here rarely make mistakes when it comes to taxing people.  If you want Laura, I can ask my dad about this, he's a Chartered Accountant & Financial Planner. He did my first set of taxes for the US. I've only completed basic Canadian accounting courses so my knowledge only goes this far. And really, if you didn't actually work into that fiscal year, you could not possibly owe the U.S. gov't anything and you might end up receiving money just for filing. No harm in trying. PM me if you want, I'd be glad to help.
  5. *Laura*

    *Laura* New Member

    now wait a minute..... the three months i worked of 2003 i filed in 2004 and the 8 months i worked in 2004 i filed for in 2005................. both those times i had a w-2 form to use and send it with it and calculate my tax etc........

    now ive just got this random package from the irs that has no letter saying to file or anything, its just a random package of forms like the nr40-ez etc

    i have nothing that i can file, i have nothing to do with the usa anymore, i didnt even go there for vacation during 2005 so i owe them nothing and they owe me nothing

    it all seems a bit american to me, no offence but ive had enough of tax offices their a pain in the ass

  6. littlefeather

    littlefeather New Member

    sounds like you're well off then! hurrah! :)
  7. Ona

    Ona Member

    WOW Loobie the tax men really do love you! :eek: ;D

    I wonder if maybe that last issue you had with the UK tax man has been the impetus behind this? ??? Perhaps the UK tax man contacted the US IRS? ??? Can that happen? It just seems so random that you keep getting hit with all this random paperwork. :-\


    Ona xxx.

    P.S. Hope you had fun with Ste & Justin and bet you are sooo excited about NYC. Not long now! :)
  8. adjonline

    adjonline New Member

    Does anyone know if we can file with the IRS by posting to the US Embassy? The BUNAC site says we can, but I can't see anything anywhere else saying the same thing...
  9. Shrooden

    Shrooden New Member


    Don't worry Laura, when I got back to the uk I filed my 2003 return in 2004, and in 2005 they sent me the whole pack through to my UK address even though I had no taxes to file for. They did exactly the same to my girlfriend too. It's just incase you have any taxes to file.

    But you can just throw the pack away and live a US tax free life!

  10. dixie south

    dixie south New Member

    I got the tax instructions this week. I worked in Disney from Feb 2003 to Feb 2004 and for both years i filed. Last year, i got a refund which was sent by check.

    I think i will send a letter, telling them that i don't longer work in the USA and therefore there is no need for me to file the form.
  11. Ambergirl

    Ambergirl New Member

    But just think....if you file maybe you'll get some money! :eek:
  12. Shrooden

    Shrooden New Member

    But you can't file without a W2 anyway!
  13. dixie south

    dixie south New Member

    I know !!! I thought i should file, but i did not get W2 !!!

    A friend of mine got the tax instructions too, she worked the same dates i worked in USA. I think they are doing it because they're a little behind updating their data bases.

    Who knows??
  14. paalerik

    paalerik New Member

    but i burned my ss card. Did not think i needed it anymore:(
  15. adjonline

    adjonline New Member

    W2's contain your SSN; my understanding is that if you don't receive an SSN, you have nothing to file. Although I freely admit to being no expert on US taxation law :p
  16. shannybanany

    shannybanany New Member

    Hey Laura,

    I got them too, but you are right that we have nothing to file with. Actually, for me, that's a lie...I have three Disney stock shares that I make 38 cents US a year off of...but I never got the papers prior to working there. Since I only have the 38 cents from last year, I'm not worrying anything about it. Done and done with the stupid American gov't.

  17. Leeanne

    Leeanne New Member

    A question! How many people file your U.S. Money on your Canadian income tax? And if you do why do you have to pay the Canadian gov't so much money for making American money... I don't understand!
  18. Ambergirl

    Ambergirl New Member

    I know!!

    It's like $300 I have to pay the canadian government if I declare my american income!WTF!

    But seriously...I'm getting back a hell of a lot more then I thought! Which will be helpful for my trip to disney I'm planning! Muahahaha! Oh-kay that was a little much! ;)

    And is that you Leeanney?! (Yes I know you hate that name?!)
  19. shannybanany

    shannybanany New Member

    I arrived in August, so my year was nicely split over two tax years. I had to claim my US income on them both and because of that I had to pay over $1000 to the Canadian gov't on the first one because I had a stupid full-time job before I left. I know I was NOT the only one that this happened to either. Sucked huge. But I got money back the next year...only like $100 bucks...but anything NOT paying was much appreciated!!

  20. phillfo

    phillfo New Member

    I recieved a W2 form...with literally pennies in it ... i guess i must've just caught a new tax year as i left in Dec.... this is a pain though as if you have to do it i'll have to pay a stupid amount of money to recieve nothing! :'(

    and i'm poor as it is!!!!! :p

    never mind :(

Share This Page