What will increase my chances of getting into Rice University?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by relational78, Sep 11, 2010.

1. relational78

relational78 New Member

I really would like to go to Rice University, but I do not have the best grades. I know that Rice is one of the few schools that actually looks at everything and not just your transcript. I didn't do so well when it comes to grades, but I managed to earn a 3.0. I was involved in many extra curricular activities early on in high school but by my junior year I quit almost all of them. The one that I was most active in was Academic Decathlon. Now I am going to graduate high school in less than a week (as a three year graduate) and I am becoming more aware of the fact that I do not really stand out from other prospective students. I could get many recommendation letters from over ten teachers plus a few administrators, but I'm still not sure that would help me any. I know two alumni and one of the is my step mom, is there any way she could help me get into the school?

I ranked first in my Academic Decathlon team in both speech and interview. I'm a very convincing person when you you sit face to face with me for a discussion so I am sure that if I were to talk with some type of admissions personnel, I would have a pretty good chance of getting in. Is there any way I can do this? I haven't applied for any other school (because it is August) and I have no idea what the process is like. Can anybody tell me what I can do to aid in securing a spot there?