whats it like working for disney

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by *Charly*, Feb 16, 2008.

1. *Charly*

*Charly* New Member

hiya guys

please be very honest whats it like working for disney, what are the managers like

how intense is all the training and would you honestly recomend it

2. Kevus

Kevus New Member

if your not going to work for them now when?

disney is an awesome and excellent experience, its variety of roles allows all sorts of employment, each with their own pros and cons,

the managers will only get angry if you do the wrong thing, they are after all working for disney, so they are as bubbly and fun like you expect. the training is not long or hard, it can be difficult depending on your area, im sure some rides are harder to learn about than others but all in all its walt disney world, a company that is well respected through the world

3. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Like any other job it varies how the managers are. But all of them are used to new people comming in all the time so they know and understand that everything is new to you, so there's no need to worry about anything ;) And there's always more than one manager in one area so there's always someone to talk to if you need to. There was at least six managers in the restaurant I worked in!

And honestly, I loved working there. Okay, there was some hard times there too, but all the fun made it worth it :D In all jobs you have crappy days anyway, right?

4. KC

KC New Member

It's incredible. Every day's an adventure!

My program was nothing like I thought it'd be. I was sure I'd get my dream job and everything would be perfect. I was wrong! I ended up at the wrong park, the wrong location and doing nothing like I wanted to be doing! But I quickly realised that it was, in fact, the perfect job! I worked with incredible people, met wonderful guests, had incredible experiences and ended up loving every minute of it! So much so that I can't wait to get back there and do it all over again! It's not always going to be perfect, but as TinkTingeling said, every job has it's off-days. But when you have an on-day (i.e. most days!), it's better than anything you can imagine!

My training was pretty intense... I had 2 weeks to learn 6 different Innoventions venues (areas)-several of which had spiels to learn, all of which involved me learning a heckload of stuff very fast! But as soon as I was finished training, I knew I had been well prepared for everything! My managers were, for the most part, great, and I still talk to some of them on a frequent basis. Ditto for Main Street (I Cross-U'd in August) where I had 3 days of training which was just as intense, but just as fun!

All in all, I completely totally 1000% recommend the international programs. So much so that I'm hoping to go back in 2009!

5. Chrissie

Chrissie New Member

I worked in Quick Service in the Magic Kingdom selling Turkey legs.

For the first month I HATED it. Food and beverage was not high up on my list and im not sure why I got the job but I decided to go for it anyway. I only had 3 days of training on my location and various training sessions with all the F&B participants. Turkey legs are pretty much the most popular snack in the park and cooking them was a huge task. You had to cook enough as not to run out and enough so tht there was little or no spoilage. Anyway, I was really struggling with the work and if I wasn't having such a great time with my new friends I was considering leaving. But to cut a long story short, I spoke to my manager and she was soooo lovely and we managed to work out all my problems. In the end, I loved my job and although I wouldn't go back to that being my main role, I would definitely go back and do some extra hours there.

6. Megara

Megara New Member

I can honestly say it was the most amazing 13 months of my life. Yep, it was so good I extended by a month and it would have been more if the Commons had had room for me. I would tell anyone who is thinking about applying to to go for it.
    As corney as it sounds you make friends who become more like family, the time flies so fast because you ar so busy having the time of your life that you won't believe it's possible that your year is over when you hand the key back in on the day you leave and there are experiances that are so amazing that no one understands unless they have done been there and done it.
    I got on with my managers, and a lot of other managers for that matter, really well, but as in all jobs not everyone gets on with everyone, that's just life for you. Sometimes they forget just how far from home you are and how much change you have been through but none of them are bad people really, just human. I've never found one manager that is totally unapprochable, all the way from my direct managers, up through the ranks of managment right to the top.

All that being said, Disney and the ICP/ CRP isn't for everyone. It can be very hard work with long hours, training can be intense and sometimes mind numbing (for the trainers as well as the trainee), you are a long way from home and it hits some people hard, I wont lie about that. Some people find the way of life too much for them, some can't handle the rules that are set down (drinking under 21 is one of the most common reasons for people to be terminated), there are a lot of reasons that people go home.

Would I go back if I had the chance? YES! Give me the visa and the plane ticket and I'm out of here now.
    Would I change anythng about my time there? No, nothing major, little things maybe, but if I was to do it all again and nothing was different I would still be happy.
    Would I honestly recomend you apply? Yes, I would recomend that anyone who has seriously thought about it apply, it really could be the mot life changing thing you ever do, it certainly was for me. ;D

7. my friends who told me about the WDWICP described it as:

"The most fun you can have being treated as slave labour".

She says if your prepared to work hard you will have the best time of your life.

xx

8. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Haha it's as most people have said... work hard and you'll get a lot out of it. A lot of people forget they're going out to Disney to work. Yes you work long hours at stupid times of the day, but Disney is a Fortune 500 company...they're the best! We're the ones who make WDW what it is.

I never once felt like I was working... I was playing all day long :D

It's an opportunity you have to think carefully about. If you hate Disney and all it stands for, then I don't recommend working there :p There are plenty of people who will be glad to take your place. However, you don't necessarily have to be a Disney Dork. Just take an interest in what WDW is trying to achieve, learn something about the characters, and leave the rest to training!

9. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

on my 2nd program i loved being a slave to disney! on my days off i missed being a slave and i usually picked up extra shifts on days i wasn't scheduled to work. :-X :-X :-X i loved my job and my co-cast members!